What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your pick of the available coaches

Who would you pick?

• Brian McClennan

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Ian Millward

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Royce Simmons

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Shane Flanagan

• Brad Fittler

• Kevin Moore

• Adrian Lam

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Daniel Anderson

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • Tony Smith

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Justin Morgan

• John Lang

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • Someone else

• Total voters

LeagueNut

First Grade
I found this interesting list this morning ... (full article here)

Kiwis boss Brian "Bluey" McClennan has finally declared himself ready for the challenge of coaching rugby league at NRL level.

McClennan is at the top of a list of candidates including Ian Millward, Royce Simmons, Shane Flanagan, Brad Fittler, Kevin Moore and Adrian Lam eyeing a start in first grade should an NRL position become available.

Super League trio Daniel Anderson, Tony Smith, former Warriors player and now Hull Kingston Rovers coach Justin Morgan, and former Panthers boss John Lang are also in the mix.
So presuming you're an NRL club CEO and need to hire a new coach, who would you pick if these 11 guys applied??

legend

Coach
If you're the Dragons, you'd go for John Lang IMO and they are side most likely to have the first coaching change, followed by the Roosters and Dogs IMO.

Stagger eel

Staff member
very interesting, I'd say Kevin Moore due to his backround at being at a club with incredible resolve whether it's players behaving badly or Administrators rorting the system, Canterbury are a club that seem to rise above all that and I think that has alot to do with their coaching staff.

dontmakemeangry

Juniors
go Bluey McClennan, he would be fantastic as a first grade coach. In fact, he would be great as a NSW S.O.O coach........................

DeeGan

Bench
I hope Bluey McClennan lands a gig in the NRL in the not too distant future.

Ian Millward has a good rugby league brain, I think he will be on the short list for some clubs.

Shane Flanagan is crying out for a chance. Versy astute coach.

LeagueNut

First Grade
DeeGan said:
Shane Flanagan is crying out for a chance. Versy astute coach.
Okay, here's a stupid question - who is Shane Flanagan?? I don't think I've heard of him before.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Bluey would be a great pickup for any club, and don't discount Justin Morgan either. He might not get any recognition, but what Morgan's done with HullKR considering the limited resources he has is proof that he's got something going for him.

ozzie

Bench
LeagueNut said:
Okay, here's a stupid question - who is Shane Flanagan?? I don't think I've heard of him before.
shane is a very astute coach, he used to coach the Rooster's pl side and as in cahots with Rickie Stuart - when the Roosters invited Stuart to leave they got rid of all the coaching team as well - more the pity - Flanagan would be a good coach for any team

Mal Meninga

Bench
LeagueNut said:
Coached that SG Ball side a few years ago with Soward, Ale, Hoppa, Pewe Moke etc. The talent was head and shoulders above any other team as a whole.

stuke

Bench
depends what you want them for.

John Lang would stand out if you want to stablise your squad and need experience.

if it was a case of giving someone a chance and bringing in new life to a club i would look closely at Shane Flanagan.

i wouldn't mid trying to entice Dean Pay into the gig as well.

kooriguy

Juniors
i said freddy only because we have already had lang and we needed something fresh.. however lang is still by far the best on that list.

Raiding Dazz

Juniors
I'm so happy the panthers are not going to well, cause blaming the coach last season was ridiculous as Lang was always someone who could lift a side with minimal players in his roster.
Henry is looking good for the raiders but i wouldn't of been upset if they got Lang this year

This Year?

Immortal
Nathan Brown is a good coach, no matter what the media, experts and fans say about him. His post match conferences alone are worth the dollars he's getting. His composure while looking down the barrell is something to admire... :lol:

LeagueNut

First Grade
John Lang's leading the poll at the moment, and Daniel Anderson is tied with Bluey McClennan for second spot.

I'm surprised Bluey is getting that much support actually - personally I'd want him to do some sort of "apprenticeship" first, coaching a reserve grade team or something. I'm not trying to downplay his achievements to date, but the weekly grind of the NRL is bloody different to a six-week tournament.