What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your state's worst origin team?

the kirwan kid

Juniors
This is just a bit of fun and is not meant to put down any of these players (after all they played origin and I only got as far as trialling for the Illawarra Steelers and playing a few gamnes of 1st grade union with Andrew Walker!!). It's interesting to see who has played origin and how little impact or, in the case of Schifcoske and Cunnningham, opportunity some have had ...
here's my QLD team.

1. Schifcoske (1 game - 2002)
2. Adrian Brunker (3 games: 92-93)
3. Justin Hodges (3 games: 02-04)
4. Adrian Vowles (1 Game: 1994)
5. Stuart kelly (3 Games: 1997)
6. Daniel Wagon (3 Games: 2001)
7. Paul Green (7 games: 99-01) Unfortunately there were no other candidates here! You could hardly go with Langer, Lam or Murray!
8. Russel Bawden (3 games: 2001) He's my wife's cousin!!
9. Craig teevan (3 games: 1995)
10. Neil Tearney (3 Games 1997)
11. Terry Cook (3 Games: 1995)
12. Jeremy Schloss (3 Games: 1997)
13. Owen Cunningham (1 game: 1996)

Raiders Plight

Juniors
Thats a bit harsh on Schif, he didn't even play fullback in his one origin game he was on the wing. Wasn't given any opportunity to do anything. Paul Hauff should be fullback.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Very harsh on schif
he acually played very well that game, he didnt see much ball so we didnt see him do much in attack besides one half decent kick return, but he didnt make any mistakes, madse a few crutial tackles and even tapped back in a joey touch finder when NSW were deep on attack

Pistol

Coach
Teevan and Cook were part of the Queensland team that won 3-0 in 95. A bit harsh criticism of them when the cream of the crop were denied access to Origin jerseys.

Darren Fritz would be a contender for QLD. So would Alan Cann, Owen Cunningham, Craig Greenhill, Chris Phelan, and Scott Tronc.

NSW would probably have Phil Duke, Craig Hancock, David Hall, Matt Adamson, Tony Butterfield, Ken McGuinness and Tony Melrose.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Darren Fritz was my first thought when I was looking at the Qld pack selected!!

NSW would have some big names in their 'worst ever origin' side - because they have a habit of picking players who are well past their use-by date...

Using some of Pistols players, here is an uncompetitive NSW side!

1. Matt Seers (4 games)
2. Craig Hancock (1 game)
3. Ken McGuiness (5 games)
4. Brett Rodwell (1 game)
5. David Hall (1 game)
6. Steve Carter (1 game)
7. Brett Kimmorley (6 games)
8. Josh Perry (1 game)
9. Alan Wilson (2 games)
10.Phil Daley (3 games)
11. Dave Trewhella (2 games)
12. Matt Adamson (2 games)
13. Phil Bailey (3 games)

Pistol

Coach
You could also include Jason Taylor, Aaron Raper, Scott Gourley, Jim Serdaris, Ross Conlon, Jonathan Docking and Pat Jarvis (Very overrated frontrower)

I wouldnt leave out Stopafarty. He played one Origin match in 95. Never been a big fan of him.

Brett Rodwell was not the worst player to don a Blues jersey. He did only play one game but he played well after coming off the bench. He scored a pretty good try but he ruined any further chance to represent when he did his knee when he scored. Had to be carried off on the medicab. He was a really solid player. Was never the same after that injury.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Pistol said:
You could also include Jason Taylor, Aaron Raper, Scott Gourley, Jim Serdaris, Ross Conlon, Jonathan Docking and Pat Jarvis (Very overrated frontrower)

Gourley went ok while he played Origin...

Pat Jarvis was the 'evergreen' prop forward. He was pretty good before he turned 40...

Jonathan Docking really puts the pressure on Seers for the fullback job (forgot about that Hawaii match!) - and Ross Conlon could certainly barge his way into the centres...

Pistol

Coach
Ross Conlon could kick the old leather a mile, but he doesnt offer enough for me in attack.

JJ

Immortal
oldmancraigy said:
Darren Fritz was my first thought when I was looking at the Qld pack selected!!

NSW would have some big names in their 'worst ever origin' side - because they have a habit of picking players who are well past their use-by date...

Using some of Pistols players, here is an uncompetitive NSW side!

1. Matt Seers (4 games)
2. Craig Hancock (1 game)
3. Ken McGuiness (5 games)
4. Brett Rodwell (1 game)
5. David Hall (1 game)
6. Steve Carter (1 game)
7. Brett Kimmorley (6 games)
8. Josh Perry (1 game)
9. Alan Wilson (2 games)
10.Phil Daley (3 games)
11. Dave Trewhella (2 games)
12. Matt Adamson (2 games)
13. Phil Bailey (3 games)

Wilson was a backrower, and Trewhella a hooker!!

Harsh on Carter and Kimmorley ... I'd have thought. In terms of origin performances, Cliff Lyons probably deserves a spot. And although John Simon played well in his origin game he'd get my half spot... yep - I am being inconsistent

Pistol

Coach
John Simon played 4 Origins. Wasnt an Origin type player imo. Mark Hughes was a shock selection in 2001 but he was probably one of the Blues best in that series. Of course I am very much a QLD supporter but I watched Hughes play that series and he didnt set a foot wrong.

I think NSW could throw in Michael Buettner. He wasnt up to much. QLD werent without their flops. I will vote for Russell Bawden for forever and a day. Nathan Fien would definately be in the mix, John Buttigieg never set the world on fire. He did score a try in Origin 1 2001, but his go forward was limited. Whenever he hit the defensive line, thats where he was halted. He was a big man but had no penetration.

oldmancraigy

Coach
JJ said:
Wilson was a backrower, and Trewhella a hooker!!

Harsh on Carter and Kimmorley ... I'd have thought. In terms of origin performances, Cliff Lyons probably deserves a spot. And although John Simon played well in his origin game he'd get my half spot... yep - I am being inconsistent

Gee whiz! My memory is shot (swap Wilson and Trewhella in my team) - they were both ordinary at Origin level!!

I don't think it's harsh on Carter and Kimmorley - I was picking a team of players that just didn't perform at Origin level - you can't tell me that Kimmorley is the kind of player who stepped it up when he got picked for his state... and Carter was the beta-version...

JJ

Immortal
oldmancraigy said:
Gee whiz! My memory is shot (swap Wilson and Trewhella in my team) - they were both ordinary at Origin level!!

I don't think it's harsh on Carter and Kimmorley - I was picking a team of players that just didn't perform at Origin level - you can't tell me that Kimmorley is the kind of player who stepped it up when he got picked for his state... and Carter was the beta-version...

My recollection is Carter playing off the bench in pre interchange games, so I think he had very little game time (like Matthew Johns). So as far as stand-off s that were ordinary given the opportunity to play at origin level - I'd go for Lyons or Timmins...

oldmancraigy

Coach
JJ said:
My recollection is Carter playing off the bench in pre interchange games, so I think he had very little game time (like Matthew Johns). So as far as stand-off s that were ordinary given the opportunity to play at origin level - I'd go for Lyons or Timmins...

Timmins was pretty 'special' at 5/8.... be a good combination between him and Kimmy - one can't pass, the other can't kick - actually neither can kick or pass!!

Latest posts