What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your teams for the weekend trials?

Jobdog

Live Update Team
A win would have been nice, but as long as we didn't get any serious injuries, I'm happy.

Penrith will be tough to roll under Cleary. They got rid of their cap deadweight such as Waterhouse and can only move up. Pretty good hit out by the sounds of it. Thanks Fred for the updates.

billy2

Juniors
Stig and Roberts injured at the start of the season doesn't give us a lot of halves depth - one more injury and Adrian Davis is in the mix.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Twitter's reporting that Roberts just got a knock to the nose. Doesn't sound overly serious.

How did Bedsy and Tahu go?

Looks to be a decent result especially with the second half team we fielded. Did the panthers rest a lot of their starting players for the second half as well?

Our first trial of the season, cant guage too much out of it. Good for the guys to dust some cobwebs off.

shane1970

Juniors
How did Bedsy and Tahu go?

Looks to be a decent result especially with the second half team we fielded. Did the panthers rest a lot of their starting players for the second half as well?

Our first trial of the season, cant guage too much out of it. Good for the guys to dust some cobwebs off.
Bedsy was good, it appears as though he aint lost much at all - still darting out of dummy half, defence is still awesome. Timana was good also, got involved, did have a couple of handling errors but also had a good pick-up from a bad pass to set up Jimmy Mc for our first try.
The Panthers did rest a few of their more notables (forwards) in the 2nd half as well.
Out of our fringe players in the 2nd half - Alex McKinnon was busy, busy, busy, hit-up after hit-up, was very involved. Kyle O made a beautiful line break straight up the middle of the ruck and was extremely solid in defence. Adam Cuthbertson was good also - got SMASHED with his first hit-up but still got one of his customary offloads away which created something. I didn't really notice anything special from any of the others.
Overall I thought our best were - Houso (easily) and Nev and then Alex Mc & Kyle O'd - not one back did anything worth writing home about.
The one area of concern for mine was the Panthers 3 tries were all scored from SOFT defence within the 10m line - one was a BAD read from Gids moving up too quick and the other 2 were just bad - soft - jelly like - missing - nonexistant - atrocious defence.

billy2

Juniors
Interesting that Boyd played fullback for his first stint and in his second stint replaced Gids at 5/8 - with Wes at fullback.
This could be a look at 'plan B'.

shane1970

Juniors
Interesting that Boyd played fullback for his first stint and in his second stint replaced Gids at 5/8 - with Wes at fullback.
This could be a look at 'plan B'.
He replaced Tyrone Roberts after he went off with injury - not gids billy - neither Gids nor Darius actually came out for the start of the 2nd half - it was just the injury which forced the change.
After the game Gids had an ice pack and a rather good limp on his right knee as well - here's hoping it's nothing - but is this the knee that he injured last year?

To be honest, high expectations meant that I was disappointed leaving the ground last night. Everyone looked very fit, the new and returning players were all there, everyone looked happy to be wearing red and blue.

What frustrated me was that I couldn't see the improvement or different style of play I was looking for. Mullen was really poor, costigan dropped a couple - as did fuss and defensively it all looked the same as always. Penrith were clearly targeting our halves in defense (It may have just been that all teams run a lot of their plays in that zone) And had some luck too with gidley in particular early on and then Mullen later in the game.

I think our halves could really be a problem this year if Mullen doesn't find the form that has been missing for too long. Luke Walsh looked to be in another class against our halves and we all know he's nothing special. It was a shame Tyrone went down as it looked like they were going to try him at half with mullen at 5/8 for a while.

Highlights were;
-Boyd showing a bit of ball playing, but in cruise mode on kick returns
- McManus looking a little more elusive than past seasons - still stumbled a lot though
- tahu looked fit but seems like his timing needs some work in attack and defense to fit in.
- gidley looked his best when he ran straight and hard with a bit of footwork close to defenders late in the second half.
- bedsy looked fit and sharp, I'd forgotten how well he brings forwards onto the ball with a couple of probing steps and then a flat ball as he meets the markers.
- hilder will be handy as a hooker / back rower again and had more opportunities to run than buderus due to the period of the game he played.
- snowden looked a lot better than in the allstars game. Very willing to take the ball up and aggressive in defense
- house was faultless and looks to have put that little bit of size back on that should make him more of a threat in attack again this year.
- zeb played ok but looked really tired at half time. With game time should come good
- costigan looked to be being used as a third prop and was running straight at the middle.
- Edwards looked fit and willing when he replaced costigan and showed we look like playing with a non ball playing lock this year. Stopped a few in their tracks and was filling a lot of gaps in our defense. Looks a little light and easy to stop in attack still though.
- kev played well but is no threat to McManus at this stage and young matautia that played quite well too.
- junior looked like he was trying really hard but didn't get too many opportunities - which you could say for tahu and Wes too.
- as was mentioned, kod made a good break - but I still don't think he's up to it yet. Didn't
Last long fitness wise and still a bit of a shirt grabber. Same for liki liki who looks big and fast but had poor hands.

Bit long winded there, but overall I think we really need to improve defensively (which we should but it may take longer than some of us hope) and in the halves, but our forwards and backs depth looked strong if they can be guided around the park.

Spot On

Coach
All sounds good really. No major injuries, a chance to try a few combinations. Get some match fitness. I hope they can do something with the halves. If not a couple of highly paid individuals may make way for a half next season.

How was our kicking game last night?? Did Gids do any of it? I'm hoping Bedsy may have done a bit in the off season but it may be a case of teaching an old dog new tricks. It really is an area we lack in. Most teams have multiple kick options. We have....????????? Mullo from time to time.

shane1970

Juniors
How was our kicking game last night? Did Gids do any of it? I'm hoping Bedsy may have done a bit in the off season but it may be a case of teaching an old dog new tricks. It really is an area we lack in. Most teams have multiple kick options. We have....? Mullo from time to time.
Bedsy didn't kick once - it was shared between Mullo and Gids. In the 2nd half, with no Gids and Roberts off injured I think Mullo kicked every single time. Not much has changed since last year in regards to our kicking game. Long kick was good - with a good chase - but close to the line - nothing - zippo - zilch. The Panthers, when close to the line - forced three (possibly 4) goal line drop outs from a good short kicking game inside the attacking red zone - we did the usual - kick to the wing via the air bullshit that worked so marvellously well for us last year:lol:

Old_Timer

Juniors
Well I had squizz at your mob's trial effort and was somewhat unimpressed. Aside from Darius who put in a half reasonable effort, the rest of your rabble look somewhat disjointed.

Have they actually been training or were they doing it by correspondence?

shane1970

Juniors
And Snowden looked better this week Shane?
He most definetely did spot ! I was critical of his effort in the all stars game - but I watched him warm up on the pads etc, before the game an thought holy shit he's hitting those hard - he transferred it into the game - even though he only played half a game it was considerably better and much harder an effort than previous.