What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your thoughts on Vaelaliki's move

Cuchullain

Juniors
Hi all,
i'm a wigan fan and I was wondering on what your thoughts would be on vaelaiki's move over to SL

I know he's had his injuries over the last 2 years but how he is he in general, is he a good signing for us?

Has a Good fend and is very strong. But is lacking pace from all the injuries that he has had. His defence was suspect for a while but he managed to fix that up before he got injured.

Adam Spadam

Juniors
Vaealiki's main defensive problems were concerned with reading the play and making a decision in defence, but in terms of 'tackling' he is excellent, because he is so strong.

He has these long strides so hes a bit of an illusion when he runs...I think hes quicker than most people think, but it may take a while to come back after the latest injury.

He's an international who is probably just getting over the top of the hill of his best form, which was 2000-2002.

If Keith Senior is the best centre in England, Freshie is more than competetive.

bartman

Immortal
Dave's a better centre option than what you've currently got Cuch!

He's no Keith Senior, but he'll hold his own and if fit comes with strong defence. More solid than sprinty or spectacular these days.

His current international position is fullback... but he's better in the centres for mine.

Is a good player, not worth $500,000 a season but.
Good for him why not take the money it will set him for life.

Suitman

Post Whore
One thing is for sure, he'll enjoy getting plenty of ball with wide open spaces at Wigan.
Something he hasn't had at Parra since 2001.

Suity

PB

Bench
No Gasnier, But with the right players around him he will do well.

And is a good guy off field also.

PB

Bench
New job, Suity had to learn the ropes and become efficent at my work so that i have time to bludge (i.e, jibber on here...) ;-) .

Good to be back! :D

PB

Bench
Yeah mate still Gong'ing it.

How is little Jump Suit going? Developed a step yet?

Eels Dude

Coach
Perhaps at this stage of his career Vaealiki would be better suited to the English Super League. I don't know why we let him go, he still has a lot to offer the club.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I'm happy for him, but I'm not happy we lost him.

He wasn't in his best form, but he was always an Eel.

That left side pairing of Grothe and Vaealiki always put a smile on my face.

I know we need to release players to keep the ones we want, but the Armit brothers and Vaealiki?

Surely there were other players we could have let go instead.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sorry to see him go, he is agood player

he is also very young to be put out to pasture in England

he's about the same ager as Burty, so I guess he's about 24/25

still plenty of footy left in him

Cuchullain

Juniors
cheers for your thoughts,
$500,000 is a bit steep for any player IMO, but if whelan wants to pay that then so be it

look forward to seeing Vaealiki next year in the cherry n' white, hope he can stay injury free when he returns

good luck with the rest of the season