What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Wests Tigers Team 2004: Results

jirskyr

Juniors
Thanks to everyone who voted. About 100 people cast votes overall.

Here are the final results. Brackets contain percentage of total position vote.

1. B Hodgson (89%)
2. P Richards (41%)
3. J Wilson (37%)
4. D Halatau (32%)
5. L Covell (41%)
6. B Marshall (44%)
7. S Prince (47%)
13. S Sattler (55%)
12. M O'Neill (31%) -- Captain (95%)--
11. B Galea (21%)
10. J Skandalis (45%)
9. R Farrah (54%)
8. T Payten (37%)

14. T Clayton (32%)
15. G Viane (27%)
16. A Laffranchi (18%)
17. N Graham (14%)

That is pretty much the team I'd have starting next season, although I chose Fitzhenry ahead of Clayton on the bench.

---Details (votes)---
* Fullback (115) - Hodgson (102), Clayton (10), Greally (2).
* Winger (285) - Richards (117), Covell (116), Miles (13), Beckett (12).
* Centre (311) - Wilson (115), Halatau (99), Fitzhenry (45), Viane (27).
* Five-Eighth (105) - Marshall (46), Prince (29), Reynolds (12).
* Halfback (126) - Prince (59), Withers (45), Marshall/Reynolds (11).
* Lock (117) - Sattler (64), Graham (42), Galea (5).
* Second-Row (229) - O'Neill (70), Galea (48), Sattler (42), Laffranchi (27).
* Hooker (85) - Farrah (46), Withers (18), Senter (8).
* Prop (229) - Skandalis (103), Payten (85), Laffranchi (38).
* Bench Utility (93) - Clayton (30), Marshall (20), Withers (15).
* Bench Forward (296) - Viane (81), Laffranchi (54), Graham (42), Heighington (37), Elford (24).
* Captain (37) - O'Neill (35), Galea/Sattler (1).

---Notes---
* some positions found the final selections winning comfortably, especially fullback and winger.
* Mark O'Neill eclipsed his rivals for captain.
* John Wilson was the second-highest vote scorer across the entire side and yet remains unsigned for 2004.
* Nick Graham appears preferred as a bench impact player.
* Daniel Fitzhenry, our current playmaker, is not the chosen player for any of his positions. Perhaps a victim of jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none.
* Licoln Withers, although not making the team, was runner-up in 2 categories (half and hooker) and third for bench utility. Obviously people still believe he has a valuable place for next year's depth.
* Chris Heighington is the favoured first call-up to the bench if an injury occurs.
* At one stage Scott Prince was leading both the 5/8 and halfback categories.
* Everyone is confident Terry Hill and Darren Senter either wont be at the club next season, or wont play as much a part as they did this year.
* The bench seems to favour mobility and toughness.
* Notable omissions: Fitzhenry, Withers, O'Halloran, NBQ, Senter, Paterson, Elford, Heighington.
* Players from this weekend's side: 7 out of 17. Some injuries lowered the number, but it also indicates we are pleased with next season's recruitment.

I wonder how close this will be to the real team???

Please tell me what you think about the results.

Cheers,
jirskyr

westie

Bench
Can I just say i think its crazy to have Wilson in the side with no Fitz. Lets just remember who gives Wilson 95% of his trys.

westie

Bench
Thats some good work you've done, my only complain is that some players wernt available in some positions. i.e. Fitz not available for centre I believe from memory, or was it in the halves?

jirskyr

Juniors
Fitzhenry was available at fullback, centres, 5/8 or bench.

He wasn't available at half because he had never played there and really still hasn't. There were far too many players ahead of him there.

Bald Tiger

Juniors
Thats a bit strong Snide. I reckon thats not a bad side at all. And so much better than the best side we fielded this season. Mainly because we have some players in it who can make breaks and create opportunities.

Kiwi

First Grade
I think the Tigers have done some smart and some stupid buying for 2004.

Smart - Sattler, a good experinced lock who can also cover 6.

Stupid - Graham, with Galea and Sattler already at the club, the money used for him could have been better used.

Smart - Hodgson to cover fullback a spot they have struggled to fill for the last few years.

Stupid - They have only Hodgson who is injury prone, the money spent on the two extra locks could have gone here.

Smart - Reynolds, a good back up for Marshall.

Stupid - Prince, with Marshall, Reynolds, Galea, Sattler, Fitzhenry and Withers all at the club it was a pointless signing and just adds another injury prone player to the list with Hodgson. Money here could have also gone into the need a second fullback fund.

Smart - Richards

Stupid - No other quality wingers other than Covell and Richards at the club. Money spent on over kill in the lock and halves positions could have gone here aswell as the fullback position.

Lochie

Juniors
I cannot agree on Prince being a stupid signing. If you take him away from the equation, you are essentially relying on two rookies, and Withers (who many people will contend is not a halfback). If (and I pray that I am wrong) the rookies do not turn out to be the messiahs we are after, then where do we turn? Back to no direction under the guidance of Withers? Prince is providing us with an experienced half, something that we have required for many years.

Crebilin

Juniors
Great work.......and a pretty good side considering some of our solid players cant make the team. Looks good for depth. Come on next year!!!!

Kiwi

First Grade
Lochie said:
I cannot agree on Prince being a stupid signing. If you take him away from the equation, you are essentially relying on two rookies, and Withers (who many people will contend is not a halfback). If (and I pray that I am wrong) the rookies do not turn out to be the messiahs we are after, then where do we turn? Back to no direction under the guidance of Withers? Prince is providing us with an experienced half, something that we have required for many years.

I think the Tigers needed to sign either Reynolds or Prince and use the other money to help strengthen the wing and fullback spots more. Even without Prince you have Galea and Sattler who can cover 6 to help take pressure off Marshall. I just think the Tigers have covered some position with over kill, and not fully covered others.

Crebilin

Juniors
I think the Tigers needed to sign either Reynolds or Prince and use the other money to help strengthen the wing and fullback spots more. Even without Prince you have Galea and Sattler who can cover 6 to help take pressure off Marshall. I just think the Tigers have covered some position with over kill, and not fully covered others.[/quote]

Ummmmmm

Hodgeson
Miles
Clayton
Greely
Marshall
Fitzhenry

If one of those guys cant cover us at fullback next year ill give it away!!!!

Kiwi

First Grade
Crebilin said:
Ummmmmm

Hodgeson
Miles
Clayton
Greely
Marshall
Fitzhenry

If one of those guys cant cover us at fullback next year ill give it away!!!!

Hodgson will be the obvious first choice fullback, but is injury prone, Marshall is a halfback, never heard of Greely, and finally if Miles, Clayton and Fitzhenry are good fullbacks then so is Stuart Kelly.

Don't get me wrong I think the Tigers will be a top 8 team in 2004, but the back three has very little quality depth.

Bald Tiger

Juniors
Simon Greally: young full back from Balmain. Playing in Premier League and has come through the junior ranks. Others, such as Brook who have seen lots of him and rave about him, reckon he will be our full back in a couple of seasons - even next year.

Kiwi

First Grade
Bald Tiger said:
Simon Greally: young full back from Balmain. Playing in Premier League and has come through the junior ranks. Others, such as Brook who have seen lots of him and rave about him, reckon he will be our full back in a couple of seasons - even next year.

I hope he's good, otherwise Hodgson's all you've got in terms of quality.

brook

First Grade
Greally is a NSW under 19's rep this year and last year (before he chose to concentrate on league) was also a representative union player - think he may have even played for australia although i could be confused there - whichever way you put it he's quality and simply lacks experience at the moment, once he gains a little he should have no problems taking the spot from hodgson - i would predict he'll play a little first grade next year and make the spot his own by 2005

Bald Tiger

Juniors
Following information from Tigers website. Does not tell us if Simon played rugby union but does tell us he likes chicken!
Simon Greally
Nickname: Greals/Eminem
First Junior League Club; Holy Cross
Current Club: North Ryde
Ambitions in sport: First grade in 2003
Position played: Fullback / Half
Best moment in Rugby League: Playing against New Zealand
Biggest influence in your career: Family
The NRL player you most resemble: Ryan Cross
The NRL player you play like: Darren Lockyer
Favourite food: Chicken

Crebilin

Juniors
Kiwi said:
[
Hodgson will be the obvious first choice fullback, but is injury prone, Marshall is a halfback, never heard of Greely, and finally if Miles, Clayton and Fitzhenry are good fullbacks then so is Stuart Kelly.

Don't get me wrong I think the Tigers will be a top 8 team in 2004, but the back three has very little quality depth.

Fitzhenry was a good fullback before switching
Grealy is the under 19's NSW rep fullback
Clayton is as good a prospect in the backs as anyone any other team has
Yes marshall is a halfback, but very well could play there and be the best open field running fullback since Lockyer
Miles is massively under rated in my opinion. Often the best one on the field
But yes, still hoping Hodgeson holds his injuries off but i wont be concerned at all if he gets injured

Watch a few games mate.......you might see something other than what you hear off other people.

Name another team with as much depth as that at fullback

brook

First Grade
yeah just checked it out - he captained the nsw rugby union under 17's side last year

Kiwi

First Grade
Crebilin said:
Kiwi said:
[

Yes marshall is a halfback, but very well could play there and be the best open field running fullback since Lockyer
But yes, still hoping Hodgeson holds his injuries off but i wont be concerned at all if he gets injured

Watch a few games mate.......you might see something other than what you hear off other people.

Broncos, Knights and roosters all have QUALITY depth at fullback.

BJ

Juniors
Kiwi said:
Crebilin said:
Kiwi said:
[

Broncos, Knights and roosters all have QUALITY depth at fullback.

broncos with depth at fullback? they had to put mike devere there when lokyear was out.. and then he got pulled from the field cause he was crap..
knights you could hardly say he is a "quality" fullback sure he played SOO there but since then who ahs heard of him since?
and roosters they've got a winger playing fullback.. if gus gould didn't love the roosters so much i doubt very much that minichello would have played SOO..

tigers have depth for fullback and for wigners next year.. not very experienced bar miles.. but it is still depth..
if clayton is re-signed and maybe milton then there are two players that can cover wing spots.. alot of people had wraps on frank samia who was playing for balmain in premier league but he has been injured lately but apparently he is big fast and can tackle.. i'd say we haven't got much to worry about next year.. i'd say front row is where we should be worrying.. we have a 2nd rower bulking up so he can play in the frotn row.. he has done a great job this year coming off the bench but i'm not sure whether we have the mongrel that is required to steam roll team up front..