What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

Dragon David

First Grade
Nah, Mike Cooper, prop that came over to us from England about a decade ago who no one heard of but ended up going alright for a few years. Ended up going back to the Super League and I think still playing even now

He talked a bit how the club is living in the 50s and 60s and need to move on
We have got bigger issues at this nursing home club that we follow other than trying to sign players. The head honchos running it are way past their use by date and should get with the times. Far outdated with their mindset and who they think they are. It is a business and a big one at that and they are very poor at running it. In fighting I'm sure happens because they are as stubborn as donkeys and maybe the donkeys would make an ass of them.

BLM01

First Grade
Yeah to me the whole issue just really got out of hand and there was just no way that Lomax was going to withdraw from his desire to leave. It should have been nipped in the bud ages ago once the problem started. The club's management/administration have probably not given one thought about it and maybe not caring one bit.

Zac wanting to leave and agreeing to get paid less at the Eels to me indicates that the issue hurt him greatly. I wonder what affect him going will have on other players at the club and players from other clubs being talked to join us. The question - what is this club all about?
Do t be mistaken
Zac played his part in the club not going all out to stop hom

Flanno moved Lomax to the wing for the benefit of the team,
You cant believe that jd. I dont see anything different between Zac's centre and wing play, still has to go searching to get his hands on the ball because of the lack of decent service from the so called play makers. The only difference I see is that on the flank he has more room and time to move to judge his leap taking the bomb, like he showed in the Origin game. Any AFL legend would praise that grab.

Kolum Kid

Juniors
You cant believe that jd. I dont see anything different between Zac's centre and wing play, still has to go searching to get his hands on the ball because of the lack of decent service from the so called play makers. The only difference I see is that on the flank he has more room and time to move to judge his leap taking the bomb, like he showed in the Origin game. Any AFL legend would praise that grab.
Sorry, not only did he benefit the team he is now a SOO winger. He was never going to be a SOO centre.

maybe he moved him there because he thought he could make best use of his athletic attributes and unfulfilled potential on the wing?
.. and he did not have those attributes playing in the centres. Give me a break. He'd have fulfilled his potential by now if he had been outside a decent organizer for the past 6 years.

Last edited:

justadragon

Bench
I dont think so RVH, yes he has always had the potential and yes possibly with a better half he may have done better, but there is no denying his place is on the wing, its now a proven fact, the only one that wants to deny it is Lomax and he's not really saying anything, he's just quitting the club.

BLM01

First Grade
Do explain as you seem to know something we others dont. I reckon the sole reason was he and the new coach did not like each other, a personality clash?
If you say that is the sole reason then that answers your question why and whose fault is that?
And if you were coach and you had to tell a player some home truths that you believe needed to be said then of course there is a big chance of a dummy spit so to speak and clash of personalities if you like.

Blame who you want which was obviously Flanno but he was right in hindsight

And there was a bit of that when it all went down as reportedly then and funnily enough now still Zac wants to be and play centre

But what happened in this off season was just the straw that broke the camels back as agitation again well reported started prior to Flanno but you can’t just put all the blame on the coach or club in this one.

Last edited:

JubileeJeffro

Juniors
H
.. and he did not have those attributes playing in the centres. Give me a break. He'd have fulfilled his potential by now if he had been outside a decent organizer for the past 6 years.
He was/is an average centre. A little too slow and never breaks the line.
He is a great winger as can catch the high ball and make great yards from dummy half now he is getting a lot more carries.
there would be 5-10 centres in front of him for NSW SOO.
He is a great winger, there is nothing wrong with that.

saints4ever

First Grade
Would he be playing SOO as centre? No
Hes a winger and Flannagan put him there.

He is gone next year there is nothing more we can do, right or wrong. He was DESPERATE to leave and we were FINE to let him go

Make of it what you will

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
I reckon he even looks a bit faster since Flanno took over as coach
I noticed that too. The last couple of games - including Wednesday - he came out of nowhere to backup a linebreak. He seems to have a bit more toe than I expected or perhaps he just takes a little longer to get to top speed. Either way, he doesn't look like the Slomax of old (hi Gitano).

TheRev

First Grade
The media is really hyping Lomax atm as the best winger going around (if not ever)... but I think their tunes will change over time.. he is an epic competitor, and I wish he was staying (his attitude aside), but hes not that quick.. and he wont score the standard wingers tries that people take for granted now.. he wouldnt have even scored the one To'o scored on wednesday.. hes slow off the mark and all the elite wingers thesedays, even in NSW Cup... are dynamite at shooting for a corner and getting it down with 1 hand.

The one Lomax scored from Chrichton was with 5m free on the touchline, he tried a 'dive' try for us last week, stuffed the putdown and injured himself.. im sure he will get better if he takes the role more seriously and practices, but hes not that agile a dude.

You could argue that his aerial skills make up for it.. and I will really miss having him for short dropoffs in particular.. but there are plenty of other wingers who can take an epic high ball themselves..

TLDR: Hes a solid winger as long as he stays motivated to work as hard as he has been this year.. but there is downside which hasnt been seen yet at origin level.

TheRev

First Grade
Random thought.. Zac is the strongest wrestler at the club.. and when he stands up to the play the ball.. I feel like he is completely within his rights to flick off the douchebag tackler who is sitting there to slow the play the ball.. but at the same time I wish he'd stop doing it, because he risks giving away a penalty in possession.

But my point was:
a) Is Zac the only one who appears strong enough to do it?
b) is he doing something wrong, or is he just exposing slow tacklers?

This is purely my thoughts only, but even if Zac wanted out of his Parra contract, would Flanno want him back? He’s always said he only wants guys there who want to be there-and clearly Zac didnt. He may be regretting his move to a club coming last and with no coach, but maybe he’s stuck there now and on less money. It was never a wise move to start with but weve seen dumber things happen.
Unfortunately to me Zac is a great attacking winger ( like so many others these days) but a lousy defensive winger ( again like so many others).
Lastly had he been a good center he would have shown that already. He was a very ordinary center, and Flannos moving him to the wing has been a master stroke. I just wonder where Parra will put him- not that i care. I hope he plays out of where he wants to play and for less money. Dumb decision Zac

Spazer

Juniors
Random thought.. Zac is the strongest wrestler at the club.. and when he stands up to the play the ball.. I feel like he is completely within his rights to flick off the douchebag tackler who is sitting there to slow the play the ball.. but at the same time I wish he'd stop doing it, because he risks giving away a penalty in possession.

But my point was:
a) Is Zac the only one who appears strong enough to do it?
b) is he doing something wrong, or is he just exposing slow tacklers?
I love that he does that and always laugh at how easily he throws players around. I don't remember zac ever getting penalised for it, at worst the ref will stop the play to let the defender get back to marker but that's it, as long as they don't land in a bad way. Reminds me of how ben pomeroy used to ragdoll tacklers off of him.