What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zero tackle after a missed field goal

Card Shark

Immortal
The rule is all wrong, was meant to be there to stop teams kicking it out the back of the in goal to take the fullbacks kick return out of the game. Should only apply for kicks from 40m out or more, should be not penalty for an attacking kick that goes slightly too far...Though I do kinda like it for failed field goals and diffused bombs

Rule changes never work out the way they are designed because its professional sport & it's a coaches duty to manipulate / find ways around them.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
So 7 tackles as punishment for poor play. Why not 8? 9? 10?

The zero tackle rule is just messing with shit to mess with it. Like that godawful moronic quick tap off a 40-20 bullshit. What a mess.

Yes, I hate golden point as well. Should be ditched completely except for sudden death games.

ellskimore

Juniors
For the normal round games, I am happy for each team to get a point if scores are equal after 80 mins. In Finals games, I think it should be 10 mins each way - no golden point or golden try.

This. For finals extra time encourages more exciting football than golden point. I don't know how the big wigs can't see this. If a team kicks a field goal then the other team has a right of reply. They might go for a try. Just let them play it out and see what unfolds. Golden Point is a gimmick. A gimmick that should have been scrapped long ago.

RWB

Bench
I like it especially for missed field goals for a number of reasons

- Teams aren't just taking pot shots from all over the field until we find the lottery winner

- The incentive to score the winning points in a manner other than a field goals becomes bigger and;

- Teams are forced to think about the game a little more and actually apply some strategy outside of 5 runs, field goal attempt... rinse & repeat.

fourplay

Juniors
The reason a game isn't drawn after 80 minutes is because a draw provides less entertainment and less excitement than 10 minutes of golden point extra time. It is boring in comparison. What's more entertaining to the viewer, watching golden point or watching a player give a post-match interview about the draw that just happened?

mxlegend99

Referee
Field goal battles are hardly exciting. You know the first team to end a set in decent field position is the odds on winner. There's next to no chance at defending a mistake, 7 tackle set or penalty in golden point.

If it became a golden try atleast defense has a chance and isn't hoping for a shit kick to keep them in the game. Golden point is pretty much a lottery at the moment. It's all about luck.

Would rather a draw which is the fairest result, and golden try for games requiring a winner.

whall15

Coach
Regular season: Draw

Finals: Ten minutes each way extra time, if still tied after extra time then play an additional ten minutes each of extra time and continue until there is a winner at the end of extra time.

hellteam

First Grade
I like it especially for missed field goals for a number of reasons

- Teams aren't just taking pot shots from all over the field until we find the lottery winner

- The incentive to score the winning points in a manner other than a field goals becomes bigger and;

- Teams are forced to think about the game a little more and actually apply some strategy outside of 5 runs, field goal attempt... rinse & repeat.

Exactly, the rule actually makes more sense for missed field goals than normal kicks that go dead. It works well for that. Especially in golden point

TiggaPlease

Finals: Ten minutes each way extra time, if still tied after extra time then play an additional ten minutes each of extra time and continue until there is a winner at the end of extra time.

Couldn't agree more. Golden point is a bad hangover from the Gallop era, scrap it for regular season asap.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I agree with Bunniesman - wanna go for a field goal? Make damn sure you get it, or you're giving up territory to the opposition. Better still, go for a try.

LineBall

Juniors

Exactly. Let the clock determine when the game finishes, nothing else.

Latest posts