What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zidane hangs up his international boots!

chileman

Coach
Zidane: I nearly quit before Euro 2004

Zinedine Zidane revealed on Thursday that he was unwilling even to play at Euro 2004 as he reflected on his retirement from international football.
The Real Madrid playmaker confirmed on Thursday that he would never again represent France, and admitted that he had begun to consider leaving the international scene after Les Bleus poor performance in the 2002 World Cup.

Les Bleus, then the defending champions, were eliminated in the first round in Japan and South Korea and Zidane said: 'I actually wanted to stop before Euro 2004.

'Something was broken after the 2002 World Cup and Euro 2004 was the last straw.

'Perhaps it is easier for me to stop now than if we had won Euro 2004; I think it is easier to go after you have lost.'

Zidane becomes the fourth member of the squad that triumphed in the 1998 World Cup and at Euro 2000 to conclude his international career this summer.

Marcel Desailly, Lilian Thuram, Bixente Lizarazu all preceded Zidane by announcing their retirement, leaving new coach Raymond Domenech with a difficult re-building job to do.

But, in an interview with French television station Canal Plus, Zidane insisted that his decision to say goodbye was solely his own.

He said: 'This was a carefully thought-out decision; I took a lot of time to make it, and I spoke a lot with family and friends.

'The decision was my own but I needed their opinion.

'The departures of Lizarazu, Thuram or Desailly did not influence my decision, but it is true that the fact that they left and the fact that the national team's staff was fully changed made me think a lot.'

Domenech had wanted Zidane to continue to aid the development of the new, young players who are likely to form the fulcrum of the France side preparing for the 2006 World Cup qualifiers.

Zidane rejected his request, saying that he was 'retiring from international football and that is definitive,' meaning Domenech has already had to begin re-developing the squad.

To that end, seven promising players from Ligue 1 have been called into the squad for next week's friendly against Bosnia-Herzegovina.

All will be hoping to match Zidane's achievements in the colours of his country.

He scored twice in the 3-0 World Cup final win over Brazil in Paris in 1998, and was peerless as France claimed the European title two years later.

'Professionally, the French national team was the best thing that has ever happened to me, and I will miss the team a lot,' he said.

'When I watch the national team I will feel a bit sad but it will go away at some point.

'My most beautiful goals with the French team were definitely the ones I scored against Brazil in the World Cup final.

'Victory was beautiful but what we experienced with the French people in the streets afterwards will always remain in my memory.'

Although fans of international football will see no more of Zidane, followers of the club scene can expect him to be around for some time yet.

Real Madrid are aiming to banish the memories of a poor season in 2003/04 by winning trophies during the coming campaign, and Zidane hopes to play a vital role for the Spanish giants.

'I have three years left to my contract and I hope to win more titles,' he added.

'This season will be very important for us since last year was difficult.'

Puig-Aubert

Juniors
Zidane the best player of the world , bad new for french football. But now the France will be composed by young players and we go to win world cup 2006 !!

Latest posts