What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ZORBA: Hasler's new 'Mr Fix It'

ZORBA: Hasler's new 'Mr Fix It'

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/zorba-haslers-new-mr-fix-it/

METICULOUS, methodical, mysterious and machine-like have been used to describe Manly coach Des Hasler.

Few people ever crack this church-going, deep-thinker’s inner-sanctum. Hasler is fiercely protective of his private life and would die to protect the integrity of his players.

They know he always has their backing and they love him for it. He has become a father for country boys who have come to the Sea Eagles from the bush.

His work ethic and standards of life are an asset the Sea Eagles could never buy. But don’t let the “under the radar” approach of Hasler ever fool you for one moment.

He never stops thinking about how he can improve himself as a coach and his team. And he has a temper like you can never imagine.

He is a self-confessed control freak, extremely superstitious, and loves it when a long-term plan comes together.

Two seasons ago he watched a young giant in the Parramatta under 20s alongside his second set of eyes in Noel Crusher Cleal and went after the kid - Tony Williams.

They mapped out a plan for Williams to be a lethal weapon by season three at Manly.

That is the 2011 season and Hasler’s patience looks to set to pay dividends despite the many critics of Williams.

It would be fair to say that not all Manly supporters share Hasler’s absolute faith in Williams.

His first season saw a complete rebuild of his body and running style to prevent constant hamstring problems. Spending long periods away from his close-knit family was also a hurdle.

Last season Williams was Manly’s leading tryscorer. I believe Hasler will gamble in the first game against Melbourne Storm in Melbourne next season and use Williams as Jamie Lyon’s centre partner against the Storm.

And the opposition are in for a shock. Gone is the baby fat and gone is the laid-back attitude. Teammates are closer to the quietly-spoken young man and he now feels at home.

In 2011, Williams will be Hasler’s “Mr Fix It”. He will bob up at centre, wing and in the backrow. At times, he will be used off the bench and his versatility will be vital.

Hasler doesn’t gamble much but when he does he usually wins. He has proved it time and again with players unwanted by other clubs. Hasler began his coaching career in 2004 when the Sea Eagles were a basket case.

In 2005, Manly were back in finals football and in 2007 and 2008 in grand finals.

I like what I see in Hasler approaching a new season. His pre-season preparation has been tough on those who need it and caring on those who need some easing up. Everything is planned like a major war operation and the “General” is in charge with a smile on his face.

“I’m excited there is steel in this side and the majority know success and want it badly again,” Hasler said. “In the good seasons, we didn’t get knocked around a lot with injuries and suspensions like we did last season.

“But the problems we had allowed us to blood some terrific young kids and they came through with flying colours. There is pressure for almost every spot and that’s a good thing.”

The Sea Eagles will break camp next week and have a two-week rest before resuming training in the first week of January.

If everyone is fit and well, I would like to see the following side take the field for the first game in Melbourne: Brett Stewart, David Williams, Jamie Lyon, Tony Williams, Michael Robertson, Kieran Foran, Daly Cherry-Evans, Glenn Stewart, Shane Rodney, Jason King, Matt Ballin, Brent Kite.

caspersparks

Juniors
t-rex really made me eat my words last season.. i was so full of hate for him in 2009, he was a useless gronk, but he improved out of sight this year.. he is still lazy, but i loved the way he ran over the opposition, hopefully he will be better next year.. and if snakes knees hold up, and matai stops dishing out his own brand of "justice", we will be top 4 no worries.

^_^

Juniors
wobblyschlong piss off you f**kwit. I thought we were tipped to miss the 8 this year without Orford, now its because we lost Hodkinson hahaha haters

Latest posts