What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst NSW winger of all time?

Who is NSW worst ever Origin winger?

• Total voters

Someone

Bench
what did EGJ do in his 3 games to deserve mention? scored a couple of tries from memory and wasn't horrible?

id have to pick merritt.

some11

Referee
Merritt.

Just the sheer amount of smoke blown up his arse by Souths supporters made his failure stand out ten times worse, then they had the hide to say 'oh he should've been picked years ago, he's past his best now'.

A truly horrible debut and simultaneous last game for NSW.

[youtube]NR26h9s4OH8[/youtube]

mxlegend99

Referee
Michael Gordon did fine for NSW. Better than Brett Morris in his first half dozen or so games. Only lost his spot in the team through injury, and he played outside of the attacking handbrake that is Beau Scott. The ball never went beyond him and atleast 2 tries were butchered. His game was the start of some fantastic form at fullback and on the wing for Flash. But sadly he suffered some massive injuries in the next couple of seasons that saw him spend more time on the sidelines when he would have been at his peak.

Nathan Merrit, Steve Turner and David Williams are easily the 3 worst. They were all absolutely owned with pretty much no redeeming features whatsoever.

Danish

Referee
I vote Nathan Merritt, just because it was such a clear case of a player being out simply out his depth.

David Williams game 2 though was probably the most bumbling display ever though. Made worse by the fact we had a back on the bench, but they refused to give him the hook

Glen

Bench
EGJ was very good for NSW, it's just a shame he could never apply himself consistently enough to have a better rep career. And yea, punching Hodges who was doing his tough guy act with a fist cocked was brilliant.

In fact many on the list weren't that bad. Merritt wins easily for mine, followed by Wolfman.

Big Pete

Referee
Chris Anderson
Tony Melrose

Conlon was pretty ordinary too. Was a precursor to guys like Halligan and El Masri who built their reputations as goal-kickers and weren't known for their speed or qualities you'd normally associate with the better wingers. Although to be fair to Hazem, I thought he was one of the best defensive wingers in his day and one of the best exponents of the up and in defence.

Duke would probably win this award on reputation. Selected on his performance for Country after they got flogged 47-3 and his most memorable contribution to Origin is dropping a pass in his own in-goal from Phil Sigsworth, otherwise known as the original Hodges. From memory he actually had a couple of good touches in the game and performed as well as you'd hope till that fateful moment that ended up costing Blues the first ever series against the Maroons.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Conlon was pretty ordinary too. Was a precursor to guys like Halligan and El Masri who built their reputations as goal-kickers and weren't known for their speed or qualities you'd normally associate with the better wingers. Although to be fair to Hazem, I thought he was one of the best defensive wingers in his day and one of the best exponents of the up and in defence.

Spot on.

Of the more recent wingers, Merritt wins hands down.

Merritt was easily our worst winger. From memory Steve Turner and David Williams were pretty poor aswell.

I think its pretty harsh to judge most of these guys based on 1 or 2 origin performances though. Does anyone remember Brett Morris' first few origin games? He was awful.

Latest posts