What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst NSW winger of all time?

Who is NSW worst ever Origin winger?

• Total voters

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Eric Grothe Jr would have been one of the all time greats if he actually cared about footy and didn't waste time trying to be the next Savage Garden

PHIL Duke

This fella knows the answer.
Poor Phil Duke was the proverbial lamb to the slaughter, i felt sorry for him. Picked from a single City-Country game when it was players from the NSWRL comp vs Country RL comps.
Soul destroying.

Ibleedblue

Juniors
Merritt from players I've seen. Had smoke blown up his arse by Souths fans and aboriginals when his strength was finishing tries. Was completly out of his depth at Origin level, was caught out in defence the whole game and made no meters with the ball.

Media selection. Gordon or Uate would've been better selections in that game.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Merritt easily. Not only did he get absolutely destroyed and embarrassed in defence, his 2 or 3 timid, pathetic runs yielded him about 10 metres combined. A long, long way out of his depth.

Turner embarrassed himself too, but he was a Craig "I knew nothing of the salary cap rorts" Bellamy-influenced selection.

Big Pete

Referee
Blacklock was obviously one of those players who was always in the mix but I couldn't see him having a strong Origin career. His best opportunity was in 2001 where the selectors could have brought him in after Game I but considering how dominant the Blues had been the previous series, I can understand why they played it safe.

While he would have preferred to play Origin, there seems to be some dignity in being overlooked and not embarrassing yourself.

Never saw moodie or Eric grothe play so I can't comment on them but out of the rest from that list it would be tie between merrit and turner, the two guys who took inglis' origin legacy to the next level.

betcats

Referee
Gordon doesn't belong on that list he did pretty good in his very short origin career, injury cost him not poor performance.

Merrit obviously has the worst performance I can remember. Turner was a derpy selection and the wolfman.

McManus, Uate and Gordon shouldn't be on that list. Uate had a weakness under the high ball that was exposed it he made plenty of good runs, he was like an extra prop for nsw when he played. Made darius boyd look like a school boy at times too.

I've never laughed so hard at an inept performance than Merritt's effort at origin, and that's even after the Tigers left side got raped by an injury ravaged Penrith side yesterday.

Mr. Sharky

Juniors
575625-dt-gallery-phil-duke.jpg

That is all.