What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Foxsports talks expansion

alien

Referee
I laugh at relocation or getting rid of teams .
We learnt a valuable lesson in the past ..

No need for it

well a lot of people say there are too many sydney clubs, but i don't think they should kill off clubs either, and joint ventures can be too messy. there is no reason a relocation or 2 couldn't work though if they have good business plans, and at least their fans in sydney would still be able to see a lot of away games in sydney

Last edited:

alien

Referee
this isn't about me. i asked perth red because i wanted an opinion from a fan in perth, if they would accept a relocated team, and i thought people from the balmange side of the joint venture would love my idea considering it looks like they wont be a part of the wests tigers from march 2016

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
My preference is Perth.

Then Central QLD.
Then 2nd Brisbane.
Then 2nd NZ.

Must be feasible of course.

No place for Gosford...or SA.

alien

Referee
The future for the Tigers is in the South-West of Sydney and the facilities move to Liverpool is a good start.

they still need millions of dollars of funding from the federal and state governments for that to go ahead, don't they???

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
well a lot of people say there are too many sydney clubs, but i don't think they should kill off clubs either, and joint ventures can be too messy. there is no reason a relocation or 2 couldn't work though if they have good business plans, and at least their fans in sydney would still be able to see a lot of away games in sydney

If you only move the Blamain half and leave the Magpies, the No. of Sydney clubs doesnt change....

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
They've been the Wests Tigers for 15 years. They've been through the process of merging their fan bases together to support a new identity and the long hard yards of trying to regain lost members and get new ones.

Remember, a kid who was 6 or 7 back in 2000 would be 21 or 22 today. They would never have even seen the Magpies or Balmain in action or have negligible physical memory of them.

Heck, I'd argue that it even takes people into their teen years before they really start to understand and appreciate their relationship with their club - so now you're looking at most under 30s Wests Tigers fans.

Plus the older fans who didn't adopt the club until after they became the Wests Tigers identity & had no association with the former brands -- plus the older fans who remember the Super League/Merger days and had to overcome bitter resentment to eventually accept the new identity.

So basically by splitting apart their club, relocating half to Perth where they can't attend matches and reverting half to a club that many have little affiliation let alone memory of, you pretty much risk alienating most existing under 35/40 fans. You'd be killing off the majority who financially support the club and create the next generation of supporters.

The merger teams shouldn't be touched. The future for the Tigers is in the South-West of Sydney and the facilities move to Liverpool is a good start.

If you accept that there are too many teams in Sydney, then we need to piss off one of the fans bases at some point. Relocation at least allows fans to follow from afar...

At least in dividing Magpies and Balmain, the ARLC can justify relocating the club "WT is dead, but fear not, we're bringing back two dead teams. But we can only do so in these new locations". We drop a Sydney team and get 2 expansion location with already well known brands.

As for your point of WT fans that neve followed Balmain,
- their "Tigers" will still exist in Perth
- the name would probably "West Coast" ()
- They arent losing an iconic jersey as theirs changes every 3 years. Whereas a Balmain reincarnation would have the classic jersey.

All of the current Tigers fans would be as happy as fans of relocated teams could possibly be....

The merger teams shouldn't be touched.

This is a ridiculous thing to say...

The Tigers are potentially on the brink of death (the ARLC could push them if they wanted to). They are in turmoil, the BEST time for dramatic change. You cant exclude a team from potential relocation BECAUSe they are struggling.

You dont wait for a club to be healthy and stable to pull the rug out from under them...

Last edited:

alien

Referee
RM Cup = 4th grade

no ron massey cup is 3rd grade. sydney shield is 4th grade.

nrl (1st grade)
nsw cup (2nd grade/reserve grade)
ron massey cup (3rd grade)
sydney shield (4th grade)

western suburbs have teams in both ron massey cup and the sydney shield. they also have teams in the harold matts (under 16s) and sg ball (under 18s). in the future they might be back in the nsw cup and under 20s (if under 20s stop being a glorified national comp)

Last edited:

spoonman

Juniors
Any RL fan with half a brain can see Perth is the next obvious expansion club if we want to grow the game. Merkins saying not are just trolling in some failed attempt to wind me up lol.
Hey Perth Red,
How funny will it be when the Sharks get relocated to Perth and you miller and elbusto will be on these forums agreeing on issues?
😀

T to the T

Juniors
Relocation and mergers are not options. People who suggest this after what had happened needs their heads checked.

elbusto

Coach
Hey Perth Red,
How funny will it be when the Sharks get relocated to Perth and you miller and elbusto will be on these forums agreeing on issues?
😀

I already agree with 90 percent of what pr says. It's his death riding Sydney clubs which annoys the crap out of me and plenty others