What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michael Morgan

Vic Mackey

Referee
Apart from that play he was pretty shit. However he stood up when it was needed and is definetly a star.

ram raid

Bench
I re watched the game and started piecing together some factors in how the Broncos managed to shut down the Cowboys so well.

First point I'll make is that whenever the Cowboys were on the attack the defenders were almost always inside the ten, especially Parker and Gillett. Went both ways but it was really noticeable in the second half. It absolutely stifled the Cowboys attack.

The third man flop was another. It's been a hot and cold penalty all year with Souths being the worst offenders to be fair. Needed to be policed.
In support of the Broncos the markers were caught out numerous times by Milford but as finals go it's never a penalty unless blindingly obvious.

Morgan did plent of little things off the ball and deserves a lot of credit. I think the real Cowboys hero was their forward pack. Kept rolling on. Asiata was useful with Tamou laying a good platform.

Did you notice that every second time a Broncos player was tackled they would appeal for a penalty? I suspect it was a coahing directive. It it was it backfired because they slowed down their own play the balls by constantly appealing to the ref.

Agree with you about the forwards. Tamou Scott and Taumalolo are a pretty devastating trio when they get going.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Did you notice that every second time a Broncos player was tackled they would appeal for a penalty? I suspect it was a coahing directive. It it was it backfired because they slowed down their own play the balls by constantly appealing to the ref.

Agree with you about the forwards. Tamou Scott and Taumalolo are a pretty devastating trio when they get going.

Dariis is the worst at doing this. He stops completely and just stares at the ref shaking his head.

tumbidragon

First Grade
^TheDuges gives darbs a fair shake in that regard... f**king annoying and kills any momentum for the remainder of the set..

axl rose

Bench
It it was it backfired because they slowed down their own play the balls by constantly appealing to the ref.

Boyd is the worst at this. Ok its well known he's a wanker but there was one occasion where he took an extra 10 seconds to play the ball, as he mouthed off and back chatted the ref. All while Broncos were 15 out and needed a quick play the ball.

ram raid

Bench
Morgan is the future captain and face of the Cowboys like JT is now. Pure clutch moment from Morgan to get that pass. The 2015 Cowboys might as well be known as Clutch Cowboys all the times they comeback during the regular season and at GF.

I wonder if he's the future of the QLD #6 as well. Or, if it will be Milford.

ram raid

Bench
I think DCE is already back to the end of the que. Put in the Pearce category of 'great club player not that good at rep footy'. I reckon Morgan and Milford would be a great together. But that would mean overlooking Hunt.

Shorty

Staff member
I think DCE is already back to the end of the que. Put in the Pearce category of 'great club player not that good at rep footy'. I reckon Morgan and Milford would be a great together. But that would mean overlooking Hunt.

Well Morgan has already played for Queensland but then its Milford or Hunt, you'd give Milford the nod.
Hunt will have to prove himself because he crumbled under pressure.

ram raid

Bench
Also Hunt is oldish at 25. Will prob be 26 - 27 by the time Cronk and Thurston retire. If Mal wants to think long-term he might want to develop the two youngsters.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Am I missing something because Morgan and Milford are both running 5/8ths. You can't have both in the halves.

Having both Milf and Morgan in the halves would be the worst thing you can do. See what happened to Milford when Hunt was out and he didn't have an organiser next to him? But I think all 3 can be fit in.

1. Morgan
6. Milford
7. Hunt

elyod138

Bench
Morgan isn't just a running five eighth. He has all the skills to be a great halfback, Green is simplifying his role and developing him slowly. Watch the Dragons game without the origin players last year, Morgan almost led them to victory from halfback. He has played at halfback more than any other position.

some11

Referee
Just got back tonight and saw the footage, from way up at ANZ it looked like he just popped a simple pass to Feldt.. that's as good a pass as you'll ever see to basically win a GF.

Tommy Smith

Referee
The OP is right btw.

It's the greatest play in GF history. A sneaky salute to Kyle Feldt, too. It all started with that strip on Hunt. And don't underestimate JT breaking free of those two tackles after picking up a hospital pass and STILL having the composure to look up and find the right man in space. That's why he's a future Immortal.

Three miraculous plays in the space of 45 seconds. God does exist, and he's from north of Mackay.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
We see a lot of threads about "player x" who is apparently underrated, but generally isn't. But to me Morgan fits the definition of underrated. It might change after that pass, but every time I've seen him play he has been all class, freakish skills, tough, but you hardly ever hear about him. Dare I say, he's also a Qld player that I like and generally I hate them.

It was a massive clutch play by Morgan and it showed that like Blake Austin, he is a better 5/8 than Milford.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Great thread, this incredibly clutch play from Morgan has been overlooked in the media compared to the praise heaped on JT. Cowboys looked gone, Thurston had done very little all night and to back himself and execute under the most intense pressure...one of, if not the greatest GF play ever.

Feldt didn't have much to do in the end, but someone like Dylan Farrell would have ended up scoring for Brisbane.