What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lafai or Hopoate?

Lafai or Hopoate?

• Tim Lafai

Votes: 117 88.6%
  • Will Hopoate

Votes: 15 11.4%

• Total voters

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I wouldn't for a moment suggest Hoppa was outstanding this season but I didn't think he was too bad in 2014.

I'm just not sold on how many people are cheering on Lafai as some sort of superstar when he really wasn't that crash hot this year either.

Last Week

Bench
I wouldn't for a moment suggest Hoppa was outstanding this season but I didn't think he was too bad in 2014.

I'm just not sold on how many people are cheering on Lafai as some sort of superstar when he really wasn't that crash hot this year either.

Everyone else is saying Lafai is better, and they're basing that on the last 2 years.

Your opinion is based on Hoppa having a season in 2014 as "not too bad".

You're being biased.

aqua_duck

Coach
Both had indifferent seasons in 2015, in 2014 Hoppa was "not too bad", in 2014 Lafai was one of the form centres in the comp and easily the best back on the dogs team, yet according to Timmah logic Hoppa is better.

Frederick

Staff member
Hoppa.

For all those suggesting Lafai "shits all over him" - you obviously didn't watch a Canterbury game in 2015. He was rocks and diamonds.

Hoppa on the other hand was outstanding under Des a few years back and I'd dare say he'll get close to that level again.

The bitterness from Eels fans is great though.

Just for reference, I found the other post Tim had lined up in case Hoppa rejected his teams offer and stayed with Parra:

Timmah hedging his bets said:
Lafai.

For all those suggesting Hopoate "shits all over him" - you obviously didn't watch a Parramatta game in 2015. He was rocks and diamonds.

Lafai on the other hand was outstanding under Des a couple of years back and I'd dare say he'll get close to that level again.

The bitterness from Eels fans is great though.

Tim and his bias for the doggies. It's like something out of a movie. It's almost like love, actually.

nick87

Coach
I like how Tim Tam cites some sort of Parramatta fan bitterness, when the vast majority of responses here are from fans who couldnt give two f**ks about parramatta or the bulldogs

it's simple. Lafai is no superstar, he has a poor 2015. His 2014 however was better than anything Hoppa's put since he left for his mission (4 years ago now, yeah?)
Saying Lafai and it not being close is not a comment on how good Lafai is, has been or will be. It's a comment on how absolutely f**king terrible Hoppa's been since he came back to RL

Kilkenny

Coach
Hoping Lafai signs with the Dragons, Eels or someone other than the Panthers. Nothing against Lafai I just think we have some youngsters who can do equally as good a job and would prefer to stick with them.

mxlegend99

Referee
Hoping Lafai signs with the Dragons, Eels or someone other than the Panthers. Nothing against Lafai I just think we have some youngsters who can do equally as good a job and would prefer to stick with them.
If we signed Hopoate it would be a huge downgrade. But atleast Lafai, Walker and Hiku would be short term gains. It would just suck as it would force local juniors to look elsewhere as we wouldn't have a spot for them.

T.S Quint

Coach
I think Hoppa is better than most here are giving him credit for.
He is no superstar, but he is a solid first-grader. A good player for a team to have (at the right price - which was Parra's problem).

He did drop in quality in the back end of 2015, and started the year poorly because he was played out of position (he ain't no fullback).
As a centre he is defensively sound. That is a huge plus for any backline.
He does lack speed. But he is stronger than he looks, which helps him with getting metres out of his own end of the field. Good dummy-half runner.
But what he is best at is his ability to set up his outside man. Lost count how many tries and line breaks he set up by using his quick hands to his winger. That's just as good as making a break himself.

Hoppa may not be one of the best centres in the game, but he's not the "plodder" you people are making him out to be.

Having said all that....I hope he fails miserably at Canterbury.

POPEYE

Coach
I imagine Hoppa will go much better in a team with dedicated forwards that needs finishers, not instigators. Funnily enough I reckon Lafai would be better for the Eels

Noise

Coach
I think Hoppa is better than most here are giving him credit for.
He is no superstar, but he is a solid first-grader. A good player for a team to have (at the right price - which was Parra's problem).

He did drop in quality in the back end of 2015, and started the year poorly because he was played out of position (he ain't no fullback).
He does lack speed. But he is stronger than he looks, which helps him with getting metres out of his own end of the field. Good dummy-half runner.
But what he is best at is his ability to set up his outside man. Lost count how many tries and line breaks he set up by using his quick hands to his winger. That's just as good as making a break himself.

Hoppa may not be one of the best centres in the game, but he's not the "plodder" you people are making him out to be.

Having said all that....I hope he fails miserably at Canterbury.

You lost count? I'll help you out. He set up his outside man for a whopping 2 try assists in 2015. And he provided his outside man with a grand total of 4 line breaks assists in 2015. That's a total of 6 times he set up another player.

And he scored a whole 3 tries in 2015.

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
7 tries in 38 games for the Eels lol.

Line breaks would probably be less, he's a solid first grader and nothing more. How he played origin after his return is one for ripleys believe it or not.

mxlegend99

Referee

His defence didn't look that great last year when Tyrone Peachey ran through him on just about every touch. Getting completely destroyed didn't stop him getting picked for NSW the following week. But good defenders don't get carved up like that.

Edit
http://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2014/05/30/round_12_highlights_panthers_vs_eels.html

A couple of Mansour tries. A couple of Peachey tries. Yeo grabbed a try. With Hopoate looking like a kid with no idea in each one.

Last edited:

oldmancraigy

Coach
You lost count? I'll help you out. He set up his outside man for a whopping 2 try assists in 2015. And he provided his outside man with a grand total of 4 line breaks assists in 2015. That's a total of 6 times he set up another player.

And he scored a whole 3 tries in 2015.

Well he never said he was good at counting did he?

Hoopa is overrated defensively, and too slow in attack to cause the defence headaches. Doesn't ever look out of his depth because he is elite at dummy half meterage, and every team needs a guy like that.

But not a big bucks kind of guy. Average quality first grade center who excels at early set meterage, and has good hands.

T.S Quint

Coach
His defence didn't look that great last year when Tyrone Peachey ran through him on just about every touch. Getting completely destroyed didn't stop him getting picked for NSW the following week. But good defenders don't get carved up like that.

Edit
http://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2014/05/30/round_12_highlights_panthers_vs_eels.html

A couple of Mansour tries. A couple of Peachey tries. Yeo grabbed a try. With Hopoate looking like a kid with no idea in each one.

Everybody can have an off day.