What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lol at Broncos getting nervous re expansion!

Diesel

Coach
Brisbane has an equal amount of pro-Broncos and those against the Broncos. If you want to see live footy in Brisbane you HAVE NO CHOICE but to watch the Broncos, here lays the problem for non supporters. The Broncos are holding back Brisbane.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Currently in Brisbane staying in the city. Apart from a taxi advertising Broncos memberships you wouldn't know the Broncos played here.

Brisbane has an equal amount of pro-Broncos and those against the Broncos. If you want to see live footy in Brisbane you HAVE NO CHOICE but to watch the Broncos, here lays the problem for non supporters. The Broncos are holding back Brisbane.

No, people not supporting the Broncos is what's holding back Brisbane. Do you want another Brisbane team? Go support the one that's currently there. The Broncos don't sell out Suncorp every week, until they do, there is no need for another Brisbane team.

If you want a team to support in Brisbane, there's already one there.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
No, people not supporting the Broncos is what's holding back Brisbane. Do you want another Brisbane team? Go support the one that's currently there. The Broncos don't sell out Suncorp every week, until they do, there is no need for another Brisbane team.

Indeed they are there, and will remain alone, since they like it that way and have had an active role in scrapping clubs that have also been there.

BuffaloRules

Coach

Its ridiculous that there are not 2 teams in Brisbane enabling for a game to be played in that city each week.

Many times in the past we have had no games being played in Brisbane over the Easter long weekend for instance...

And of course its not a decision solely about bums on seats...Brisbane people want to watch Brisbane teams on TV... Might even enable the rest of us to have a break from the Broncos every Friday night occasionally...

Well here's my 5 cents worth on the matter.
Not all Rugby League fans in Brisbane like the Broncos.
A second Brisbane NRL team would create rivalry for the Broncos in Brisbane which can only be a good thing.

A second Brisbane NRL team would create rivalry for the Broncos in Brisbane which can only be a good thing.

I always see this argument, but what makes you think that the people that don't follow the team in their town, will support an alternative option? They already turned their nose up at the Broncos and by now would have a team they support.

I can't see too many people dropping their current club to be a diehard fan of a 2nd Brisbane team.

There are only 3 good excuses for living in Brisbane and not supporting the Broncos.

1. You already had loyalty to another club before the Broncos entered the competition.

2. Your father supported or was involved with another club and you were brought up on supporting that team.

3. You moved here from another city and you support the team from that city.

All of these people have their loyalty firmly in place with an existing club.

Then there are the other people that don't fit this criteria but still dislike the Broncos, for whatever reason. Let's just say that every single one of these people ditch their current team and start supporting Brisbane 2. Then you have a fan base consisting purely of supporters that are just waiting for Brisbane 2 to do something that annoys them before they jump ship and casual fans who are just waiting for the team to start losing before they stop going to games.

Also, The Broncos don't sell out Suncorp. Until they do, there is no need for this team.

johnny plath

Juniors

Thisis true but if you live in Brisbane and don't like broncos chances are you already support another team. ..so why will all of these people suddenly support Brisbane 2. In reality it probably means people will go twice a year when their team is playing in Brisbane instead of one like they do now.

HayneKloppter

Juniors
Thisis true but if you live in Brisbane and don't like broncos chances are you already support another team. ..so why will all of these people suddenly support Brisbane 2. In reality it probably means people will go twice a year when their team is playing in Brisbane instead of one like they do now.

x 12 home games for each team the new team plays

I always see this argument, but what makes you think that the people that don't follow the team in their town, will support an alternative option? They already turned their nose up at the Broncos and by now would have a team they support.

I can't see too many people dropping their current club to be a diehard fan of a 2nd Brisbane team.

There are only 3 good excuses for living in Brisbane and not supporting the Broncos.

1. You already had loyalty to another club before the Broncos entered the competition.

2. Your father supported or was involved with another club and you were brought up on supporting that team.

3. You moved here from another city and you support the team from that city.

All of these people have their loyalty firmly in place with an existing club.

Then there are the other people that don't fit this criteria but still dislike the Broncos, for whatever reason. Let's just say that every single one of these people ditch their current team and start supporting Brisbane 2. Then you have a fan base consisting purely of supporters that are just waiting for Brisbane 2 to do something that annoys them before they jump ship and casual fans who are just waiting for the team to start losing before they stop going to games.

Also, The Broncos don't sell out Suncorp. Until they do, there is no need for this team.

There are a lot of people in Brisbane who blame rightly or wrongly the death of the Brisbane Rugby League comp on the Broncos. In truth it had been in decline for years.
There are some sports fans, and former Rugby League fans who support union and AF in Brisbane who would never support the Broncos, because of things that have gone on in the past, but would a 2nd team in Brisbane.
I don't think a 2nd Brisbane team would match Broncos crowds, but they would certainly be viable on and off the paddock.

Perth Red

Post Whore
1994 WC Eagles avg crowd 27k, dockers enter comp. 2014 eagles avg crowd 37k. Dockers avg crowd 34k. So the introduction of. Second team led to 44k more fans attending games.

The idea that Broncos need to sell out first is a myth. Rivallary generates interest, afl realised this a long time ago hence their two team capital city strategy.

The Great Dane

First Grade
You don't need all the fans of other clubs to instantly dump their teams and become hardcore Bris2 fans, you only need for them to be willing to make Bris2 their 'second team' and attend/watch games semi-regularly as a start.

Most RL fans hate/dislike the Broncos for historical reasons (especially the ones in Brisbane that don't like the Broncos in my experience), they'll be neutral to this new club and more willing to go to/watch their games simply because they want to see some footy and aren't turned off by the thought of going to see a team that they loath play.

With time many of these fans will probably switch their first and second teams and become the foundation supporters of the new club, just like most of the older Raiders fans (like myself) that have been there since the bigging did.

Up until about 1987-88ish I would have identified as a Bears Fan, my brothers and my father would have identified as Rabbitohs fans, and 90% of my friends from that time that are now die hard Raiders fans would have identified with all sorts of teams.
That wouldn't have happened if Manly, Balmain or Whoever had moved here because you never would have got any of us through gate apart from when they were playing our team.

It's a similar situation in Brisbane, there's one choice of RL team in Brisbane and at this point the majority hate that choice, so why not add another choice!?

It's not as though Brisbane couldn't support another team, it could support 3-4 if it had too, though it'd be a bad idea for it to have more then two teams for the foreseeable future in my opinion, we don't want to flood the market and create another situation like Sydney.

You don't need all the fans of other clubs to instantly dump their teams and become hardcore Bris2 fans, you only need for them to be willing to make Bris2 their 'second team' and attend/watch games semi-regularly as a start.

Most RL fans hate/dislike the Broncos for historical reasons (especially the ones in Brisbane that don't like the Broncos in my experience), they'll be neutral to this new club and more willing to go to/watch their games simply because they want to see some footy and aren't turned off by the thought of going to see a team that they loath play.

With time many of these fans will probably switch their first and second teams and become the foundation supporters of the new club, just like most of the older Raiders fans (like myself) that have been there since the bigging did.

Up until about 1987-88ish I would have identified as a Bears Fan, my brothers and my father would have identified as Rabbitohs fans, and 90% of my friends from that time that are now die hard Raiders fans would have identified with all sorts of teams.
That wouldn't have happened if Manly, Balmain or Whoever had moved here because you never would have got any of us through gate apart from when they were playing our team.

It's a similar situation in Brisbane, there's one choice of RL team in Brisbane and at this point the majority hate that choice, so why not add another choice!?

It's not as though Brisbane couldn't support another team, it could support 3-4 if it had too, though it'd be a bad idea for it to have more then two teams for the foreseeable future in my opinion, we don't want to flood the market and create another situation like Sydney.

The first paragraph is great in theory, but in practice, it won't happen. Just look an hour down the road. The Titans had the initial hype but once they were in the league for a while, away fans and diehard Titans fans (which there aren't many) only go to games. Same thing would happen with Brisbane 2.

As for the "majority" part. That's stretching the truth a fair bit. Most of Brisbane loves the Broncos. The only people that don't like them are either one of the 3 types of people that I listed in a post earlier, or complete idiots that will turn on their city at the drop of a hat for whatever reason.

That's an awesome story about how you became a Raiders fan, however it isn't really relevant in this discussion. There wasn't another option in town to support the local team. For Brisbane fans, there already is an option, and it's a very attractive option. One that Brisbane 2 would find hard to compete with.

HayneKloppter

Juniors
The first paragraph is great in theory, but in practice, it won't happen. Just look an hour down the road. The Titans had the initial hype but once they were in the league for a while, away fans and diehard Titans fans (which there aren't many) only go to games. Same thing would happen with Brisbane 2.

As for the "majority" part. That's stretching the truth a fair bit. Most of Brisbane loves the Broncos. The only people that don't like them are either one of the 3 types of people that I listed in a post earlier, or complete idiots that will turn on their city at the drop of a hat for whatever reason.

That's an awesome story about how you became a Raiders fan, however it isn't really relevant in this discussion. There wasn't another option in town to support the local team. For Brisbane fans, there already is an option, and it's a very attractive option. One that Brisbane 2 would find hard to compete with.

1. The Titans population is 500k brisbanes is 2mill, when the Titans went well they were averaging close to 25k, they f**ked themselves thanks to gfc and past ownership.

2. That's complete bollocks re brisbane because as I said before, they are averaging close to the worst in the comp based on potential local audience vs crowds and membership, the market is not even close to being saturated in what supposed to be "the home of rugby league"

The Great Dane

First Grade

If what you say is true then why aren't the Broncos averaging near enough to 100k members that it makes no difference, and why don't they have a waiting list for season tickets 100ft long?

Could it be that your "very Attractive" Broncos are really just a corporate titan that has stepped on a lot of people on it's way to the top and thus maybe aren't as "attractive" as you'd like to believe, or is it that Brisbane isn't quite the 'center of the RL world' that it's constantly being made out to be!?

The Titans aren't really applicable in this situation as they were never intended to attract support from Brisbane, everybody knew that People from Brisbane weren't going to actively support a team from the GC so long as their was a team in Brisbane and other more establised clubs from other places to support.
Also the reason that the Titans have failed to really take on the GC are very much because of their own poor business decisions and poor community engagement and not because of a lack of interest in the product (TV numbers and participation rates from the GC prove this).

As for my story of how I became a Raiders fan, I agree that the situation is not exactly the same as the one in Brisbane, but I think the core point stands.
Besides when Manly, Cronulla, Canterbury, etc were placed into what was effectively portions of other teams catchments they all successfully managed to build fan bases given time, and I'd imagine that a large part of those fan bases started the same way as I and many other Raiders fans started, and as many Cowboys, Knights, Strom, Titans, and yes even Broncos fans started (many of those early Broncos fans were Raiders fans before the Broncos came around, as I'm sure that you'll know), as fans of other clubs that slowly morphed into fans of their new club.

Last edited:

johnny plath

Juniors
1994 WC Eagles avg crowd 27k, dockers enter comp. 2014 eagles avg crowd 37k. Dockers avg crowd 34k. So the introduction of. Second team led to 44k more fans attending games.

The idea that Broncos need to sell out first is a myth. Rivallary generates interest, afl realised this a long time ago hence their two team capital city strategy.

I don't know the history of the WAFL, but was the dockers an existing historical team in the local kick and giggle in perth, similar to Port Adelaide, that made the step up to gafl? Isnt the adelaide rivalry there because it pre-existed, is the Perth one similar? I'm all for another team in Brisbane, and love the idea of a local rivalry, but still don't see everyone dropping their current club just to support a new team. I have no doubt that any new Brisbane team would have its biggest crowd v broncos, but is that because the supporters of other teams are coming together on one night as neutrals to verse the broncos. Who will be there for the other 11 home games of the season?

I don't know the history of the WAFL, but was the dockers an existing historical team in the local kick and giggle in perth, similar to Port Adelaide, that made the step up to gafl? Isnt the adelaide rivalry there because it pre-existed, is the Perth one similar?

No, they're a new club though arguably they had a pretty enormous existing fan base. As far as I know both East Fremantle and South Fremantle were massive clubs in the WAFL during the 70s, 80s and early 90s. Fans of both were more than willing to put their differences aside to gain representation on the national scale.

I think I heard a WAFL GF between the two actually got a crowd of well over 50k at one point in the 70s or 80s.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
It seems to be only Broncos supporters that are against a 2nd Brissy team. Not surprising

I live in Brissy and support the Knights. Id attend far more games if a 2nd team popped up here and Id even back my son to support the new team over the Knights given it would encourage him to want to go to more games. That would never ever be the case with the Broncos. Ever.

Latest posts