What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

White Plains Wombats

Huh? They aren't going to be called the Sombreros or the Maple Leafs either, giving them a name that is explicitly linked to one particular foreign country doesn't make too much sense, and when it's a country that has close links with the sport in question then it can potentially make the whole thing look like a novelty or something that is only accessible for people from a certain background. Like DP said, 'Wombats' makes it sound like a team for a bunch of bored Aussie expats looking for a Saturday kickabout. I'm not sure many Americans would even know what a wombat is, even I don't really know what one looks like. They would've been better staying with Wildcats IMO. It's not really a big deal though, but as usual ECT turned it into one with his insane ramblings.

You've been caught out on your prejudice so just stop. To suggest an Australian animal is no good as an emblem because it only lives in Australia is f**king ludicrous and as has been pointed out there are any number of names used in america that are synonymous with other places and no one would seriously question those. Its just the typical northern chip on the shoulder attitude to anything Australian shining through as usual. And probably the most petty and embarrassing example yet.

Pommy

Coach
You've been caught out on your prejudice so just stop. To suggest an Australian animal is no good as an emblem because it only lives in Australia is f**king ludicrous and as has been pointed out there are any number of names used in america that are synonymous with other places and no one would seriously question those. Its just the typical northern chip on the shoulder attitude to anything Australian shining through as usual. And probably the most petty and embarrassing example yet.

What is this northern chip on the shoulder for being anti Australia you are talking about? I come from the north and have never heard of it or experienced it. When I moved virtually everyone said they wished they were coming with me and that they prefered my wife's accent to that of their own northern Mrs. Did you imagine this? Did you catch a Yorkshireman riding your mum?

gyallop

Juniors
Next time I am in England I look forward to a stroll through the woods and spotting Lions Dragons Rhinos Red Devils Giants Tigers Wolves and Vikings, it will be scary but wow!!
and by the way we don't have Broncos in Australia , we have Brumbies but who cares.
White Plains Wombats playing in NYC ..people will remember that name and some locals may be intrigued enough to get involved.

Evil Homer

Staff member
What do you mean "Huh"?
This is what YOU posted: "Yeah, Wombats is pretty lame. I hate when Australian stuff gets applied to international teams."
Currently in the USARL there are Knights and Rhinos, two things which are not explicitly linked to the USA.
In the NFL you have the Lions, Bengals and Vikings, again they have nothing to do with the USA.
Now I agree with you on a lot of things regarding the lack of support for the international game by the NRL/ARLC but anti-Australian comments like the one you originally made just get tiresome after a while.
I suppose I just expected better from a forum moderator....
What the f**k are you talking about? Knghts, Rhinos, Lions, Bengals and Vikings are not exclusively associated with one country, in fact bengal cats originated in the USA. Those teams are also playing a sport that is native to America. RL is not native to America, it's a foreign sport and Wombat is exclusively an Australian thing. The only reason a team in the USA would have that name would be if they were playing an 'Australian' sport. It's like an American football team in Australia calling themselves the 49ers or the Patriots. That would also be lame. If you can't understand this then that's on you. I'm not wasting my time.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Oi, good luck Womb@ts.

Bloody clowns fighting over a name.

Compromise eh, change the W for a D and have the Dingb@ts, whatta reckon :cool:

What is this northern chip on the shoulder for being anti Australia you are talking about? I come from the north and have never heard of it or experienced it. When I moved virtually everyone said they wished they were coming with me and that they prefered my wife's accent to that of their own northern Mrs. Did you imagine this? Did you catch a Yorkshireman riding your mum?

Oh yeah. They all want to live here. They all want want the best Australian players to sign for their clubs. They all like to point at Australian RL because it has done something they've never achieved and that's become popular and strong compared to the likes of union. But as this thread shows, the jealousy, resentment and hate isn't really far from the surface. Even the nickname of an american amateur club is enough to scratch away the facade.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Oh yeah. They all want to live here. They all want want the best Australian players to sign for their clubs. They all like to point at Australian RL because it has done something they've never achieved and that's become popular and strong compared to the likes of union. But as this thread shows, the jealousy, resentment and hate isn't really far from the surface. Even the nickname of an american amateur club is enough to scratch away the facade.
Seriously, you need help.

Pommy

Coach

I don't think you understand how sporting rivalries work. Hating another team/country in sport doesn't for the most part transfer in to hating people in real life.

For the record wombats is a stupid name even for a team in Australia unless it's a junior team. I would say the same if someone was proposing to name a team the Badgers, doesn't mean I hate England it's just a daft name.

deal.with.it

Juniors
I don't think you understand how sporting rivalries work. Hating another team/country in sport doesn't for the most part transfer in to hating people in real life.

For the record wombats is a stupid name even for a team in Australia unless it's a junior team. I would say the same if someone was proposing to name a team the Badgers, doesn't mean I hate England it's just a daft name.

I suppose the difference is that on this forum there is a deep hatred of the ARL as a management body, rather than just the Kangaroos. This is then transferred to a hatred of Australian influences on other regions.

This is despite the ARLC/NRL doing more for Int RL in the Asia-Pacific than the RFL/SL have ever done for Europe.

gyallop

Juniors
What the f**k are you talking about? Knghts, Rhinos, Lions, Bengals and Vikings are not exclusively associated with one country, in fact bengal cats originated in the USA. Those teams are also playing a sport that is native to America. RL is not native to America, it's a foreign sport and Wombat is exclusively an Australian thing. The only reason a team in the USA would have that name would be if they were playing an 'Australian' sport. It's like an American football team in Australia calling themselves the 49ers or the Patriots. That would also be lame. If you can't understand this then that's on you. I'm not wasting my time.
so just to be clear so we don't keep wasting your time the EH rule is:

1 if the sport is native to a country they can have any name
2 if the sport is not native to a country they must not have a name:

i) of a team that plays in the native country of the sport; or
ii) that is exclusive to a foreign country.
I am no felinologist but as cats are not native to USA (or Australia either) how do Bengal cats originate there?

Evil Homer

Staff member
I suppose the difference is that on this forum there is a deep hatred of the ARL as a management body, rather than just the Kangaroos. This is then transferred to a hatred of Australian influences on other regions.

This is despite the ARLC/NRL doing more for Int RL in the Asia-Pacific than the RFL/SL have ever done for Europe.
No, what there is is rampant paranoia by one deranged individual, and a bunch of others who don't seem to be able to grasp simple concepts. As Deluded Pom said in the original post, the issue with 'Wombats' is that it makes the team sound like a bunch of Aussie expats looking for something to do on a Saturday, which in turn could pigeon-hole RL as an Australian pastime and thus a novelty for American people, and so could potentially create a barrier to people taking the team or the sport seriously. If this was a baseball team, for example, I don't think there's any way they would be called 'Wombats'. A name like 'Rhinos' isn't an issue because there isn't a large Indian or African influence in RL. It's nothing to do with Australia or the ARL or the NRL, if it was a NZ-centric name it would be equally as bad for the same reasons. Something that makes the sport seem like a novelty or less accessible or credible to the local people is not a good thing. And this is all hyperbole anyway because the team's name really isn't a big deal, but as usual it gets turned into one. This really is one of the dumbest arguments there has been for a while in this section.

Also :lol: at the second part of your post, when the APRLC is as successful as the RLEF then let me know.

Evil Homer

Staff member
so just to be clear so we don't keep wasting your time the EH rule is:

1 if the sport is native to a country they can have any name
2 if the sport is not native to a country they must not have a name:

i) of a team that plays in the native country of the sport; or
ii) that is exclusive to a foreign country.
I am no felinologist but as cats are not native to USA (or Australia either) how do Bengal cats originate there?
No, they just shouldn't have a name that reinforces stereotypes about the sport when it's a virtually unknown sport and you're trying to break into a different market. If a baseball team set up near you in Australia and started calling themselves the Yankees you would think it was dumb, don't deny it.

As for the cats, they're a cross breed apparently. I don't know if that's what the team is named after or not but I don't think it really matters, American football is clearly an American sport, they could call the team the didgeridoos and people would still associate it with America. Not the case with RL which is still trying to gain a foothold and develop a local following.

Last edited:

Craigo

Juniors
No, they just shouldn't have a name that reinforces stereotypes about the sport when it's a virtually unknown sport and you're trying to break into a different market. If a baseball team set up near you in Australia and started calling themselves the Yankees you would think it was dumb, don't deny it.

As for the cats, they're a cross breed apparently. I don't know if that's what the team is named after or not but I don't think it really matters, American football is clearly an American sport, they could call the team the didgeridoos and people would still associate it with America. Not the case with RL which is still trying to gain a foothold and develop a local following.

Bengal Tigers, they're found in India. Lets hope no one starts a Cricket team in the US and calls them that!
Good luck to the Wombats anyway....

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Quite frankly, a team wearing what was pretty much the French national jersey and colours, and called the Roosters, and another team originally called the Dragon slayers and wearing the red and white of Saint George and England never hurt the development of RL in Australia so I doubt that a team named the Wombats will hurt RL in the USA.

EH seems to have a problem with Australia being associated with RL outside of Australia and not necessarily a problem with Australia or the ARLC/NRL in this case, am I right EH?

Personally I don't see the problem with the two being associated over seas, RL is a big part of Australian culture and Australia has hard a large influence on the culture of RL and the way that it's played (arguably the largest influence), so it seems like a natural association for people to make to me, but then again I'm not a Pom so...

I also notice that you don't seem to have a problem with RL being associated with England and Great Britain EH.

The Partisan

Hey......

apparently there is a new team being established in White Plains, North of New York. Let's all congratulate those involved in having a go and getting this new franchise up and running.

Hope they come up with an emblem that won't be controversial :crazy:

Fair dinkum...

God help us if a future RL World Cup gets sponsorship gets from a major company based in a country with no RL history.

(Actually no-one seems to give a @#$%^&* where a club or country gets its sponsorship dollars from and their name plastered everywhere ...both physically and verbally. Would we be upset if the Sanyo Kangaroos played the Huawewei Kiwis in a Coca Cola RLWC final ? Well,..... maybe the Nestle England team :D )

Evil Homer

Staff member
I'm not a Pom so...

I also notice that you don't seem to have a problem with RL being associated with England and Great Britain EH.
giphy.gif

deluded pom?

Coach
I always thought the average Aussie had a chip on each shoulder. This thread has just confirmed it. A throwaway comment by myself has been twisted into an anti Australian agenda by the paranoid.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I always thought the average Aussie had a chip on each shoulder. This thread has just confirmed it. A throwaway comment by myself has been twisted into an anti Australian agenda by the paranoid.

A "throwaway" comment that follows a theme on this board championed by one group composed mainly of English, that if it's Australian/NRL it's wrong, or not enough, or to much, or a wast of time, or out place, or designed to give Australia an unfair advantage, etc, etc.

Of course this attitude ignores the fact that Australia and/or the NRL don't have to do anything outside the boarders of Australia, so if we do anything at all internationally it is going above what is expected.

Then if anyone calls you on this attitude or questions your reasoning as to why you hold this attitude you start calling them paranoid or saying that Australians have a chip on their shoulder, etc, etc, instead of defending your attitude or explaining it, or whatever.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Oh BTW woolly rhinos were indigenous to Southern England, but obviously went extinct towards the end of the last ice age.

So technically rhinos are an English species, and IMO it would be pretty cool if Leeds changed their logo from an African Rhino to a Woolly rhino, though I doubt that will ever happen.