What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changes NSW must make.

Knightmare

Coach
The Blues Origin coaching position is a poisoned chalice. More than a coach is needed and no coach wants to be associated with losing.

The current default NSW State Of Origin tactic: Lull QLD into a false sense of security by allowing them to win 8 on the trot. Then take them by surprise by winning a series. It's a great tactic.

:rolleyes:

Bang on the money, that's absolutely been the tactics of NSW for the last decade. 9 should hire you as a panelist with brilliant analysis like that...

In all seriousness, I can't fault the majority of players to have worn the sky blue jersey in the past decade, who (regardless of skill level or suitability to Origin) looked to be having a genuine go.

The biggest problems for NSW since 2006 have been:

- Playing against teams stacked with Melbourne players who knew each others' games inside and out from playing together every week in the NRL (not to mention having blokes like Lockyer, Parker and Petero and a stack of other Broncos plus JT calling the shots)

- Not having a full-time Origin coach until 2011 (Graham Murray wasn't going to target JT, his #1 star at the Cowboys and not only is Bellamy average without his Storm stars to help him- he definitely wasn't going to dish dirt on Slater, Inglis, Cronk and Smith when they're his pets, is he? Stupid decision to hire him in the first place!)

- Bob Fulton. Bob f**king Fulton. That is all.

On the first point, there's little NSW could do about the fact that in 1983 a whole lot of talented League players were all born in Qld and went on to play at rep level. But on the previous two points, I think NSW had become complacent with the success they had between when Wally retired from rep football and Joey retired from rep football. They should have made the Origin coaching position a full-time one after Gus quit after the '04 series and stopped having any selection decisions made by people with ties to NRL clubs.

Moving forward, NSW need to simplify their structure and ensure that anybody responsible for the decision making in that organisation regarding Origin is 100% focused on ensuring the best team possible is selected 1-17, without it being influenced by who's son somebody is or what NRL club they play for. Have a good 1, 6,7 and 9 and then we can focus on the "pick and stick"...

drago brelli

Bench
The balance of our team is still wrong. Ferguson is not a winger, he's a centre. Dugan is not a centre he is a fullback. Jack Bird should be starting as a centre. Bird is on the bench but where will he play? 6, 3, 4, surely Daley is not going to play him at 9.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Biggest change we need is Farah gone. He is an absolute hand brake at this stage of his career.

Possible team:

1. James Tedesco
2. Josh Mansour
3. Michael Jennings
4. Jack Bird
5. Tom Trbojevic
6. Matthew Moylan
7. James Maloney
8. Aaron Woods (c)
9. Nathan Peats
10. James Tamou
11. Tyson Frizell
12. Boyd Cordner
13. Wade Graham

14. Blake Austin
15. Bryce Cartwright
16. David Klemmer
17. Paul Vaughan

I'll consider Hayne when he's actually available.

Last edited:

doyen

Bench
Maloney has been the best 7 NSW have had for the past 7, 8 years.

I must say that was the most blatantly,biased refereeing since the days of Gomersall.

The Fifita try should have been disallowed for a start--Jennings was charging after the ball & putting the defenders in 3 or 4 minds rather than one. He was actively involved in the play after being offside.
Terrible biased decision.

12-3 penalty count--the refs have got to be joking. Same ref combo in all 3 games--Game 1[4-4]--Game 2[7-5 to NSW]--Game 3[12-3 to NSW]---what a rig!!!!

Don't think NSW can take much satisfaction out of winning this game.

Last edited:

BennyV

Referee
Biggest change we need is Farah gone. He is an absolute hand brake at this stage of his career.

Possible team:

1. James Tedesco
2. Josh Mansour
3. Michael Jennings
4. Jack Bird
5. Tom Trbojevic
6. Matthew Moylan
7. James Maloney
8. Aaron Woods (c)
9. Nathan Peats
10. James Tamou
11. Tyson Frizell
12. Boyd Cordner
13. Wade Graham

14. Blake Austin
15. Bryce Cartwright
16. David Klemmer
17. Paul Vaughan

I'll consider Hayne when he's actually available.
Disagree. The biggest change we need is Daley gone. No hooker could have overcome the dumbass tactics on show all series.

Start with the coach, the rest will follow. I'd personally go for Toovey, seems perfect for the origin role, with someone like Elliott or Cartwright as assistant.

big hit!

Bench
I must say that was the most blatantly,biased refereeing since the days of Gomersall.

The Fifita try should have been disallowed for a start--Jennings was charging after the ball & putting the defenders in 3 or 4 minds rather than one. He was actively involved in the play after being offside.
Terrible biased decision.

12-3 penalty count--the refs have got to be joking. Same ref combo in all 3 games--Game 1[4-4]--Game 2[7-5 to NSW]--Game 3[12-3 to NSW]---what a rig!!!!

Don't think NSW can take much satisfaction out of winning this game.

to not be more than 2pts ahead at HT after all those penalties, repeat sets and QLD with a man down, getting the rub of the green from the bunker with the Fifita try, and to have to rely on Ferguson to wrong-foot Inglis deep in NSW territory to set up the winning try highlights everything that is wrong with NSW Origin.

NSW could still be camped within 30m of the QLD try line right now, and still fail to score a try with an attacking back line move.

All the nuffies at NSW Origin will think that they're back on track and ready for a tilt next series. Plenty still needs to change.

Spot On

Coach
Can anyone explain why James Tamou should ever play for NSW again??? Just what do people who select him in their NSW team think he brings to the side beside laying on his back each time he is tackled. I just don't get the love. Someone please make a case for him so I can see where you are coming from.

Doesn't the wet sponge contact at the line make others shake their head for a bloke his size?

Obviously Farah, Tamou and Jennings would be gone for mine in 2017. Ferguson you'd have if nothing better was available. The rest I'd leave. The Trjobevics come in. As for a new hooker - ??????

mxlegend99

Referee
Hayne in for Jennings. Morris in for Ferguson. Bird into right centre permanently

1. James Tedesco
2. Brett Morris
3. Jarryd Hayne
4. Jack Bird
5. Josh Mansour
6. Matt Moylan
7. James Maloney
8. Aaron Woods
9. Nathan Peats
10. Andrew Fifita
11. Boyd Cordner
12. Wade Graham
13. Tyson Frizzell

14. David Klemmer
15. Junior Paulo
16. Bryce Cartwright
17. Blake Austin

Depending on form next year. I think we're better off especially if Hayne returns, Moylan becomes an NRL half and we just opt with Bird starting at his club position.

Hayne in for Jennings. Morris in for Ferguson. Bird into right centre permanently

1. James Tedesco
2. Brett Morris
3. Jarryd Hayne
4. Jack Bird
5. Josh Mansour
6. Matt Moylan
7. James Maloney
8. Aaron Woods
9. Nathan Peats
10. Andrew Fifita
11. Boyd Cordner
12. Wade Graham
13. Tyson Frizzell

14. David Klemmer
15. Junior Paulo
16. Bryce Cartwright
17. Blake Austin

Depending on form next year. I think we're better off especially if Hayne returns, Moylan becomes an NRL half and we just opt with Bird starting at his club position.

If Hayne came back anything like he was 2 years ago he would slot right back into the 1 with Teddy probably going to the wing. No disrespect to Teddy, who is a very good player, but nowhere near the class of Hayne at his best.

TIGER14

Bench
1. James Tedesco
2. Brett Morris
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Jack Bird
5. Josh Mansour
6. James Maloney
7. Adam Reynolds
8. Aaron Woods
9. Nathan Peats
10. Andrew Fifita
11. Boyd Cordner
12. Wade Graham
13. Tyson Frizell

14. David Klemmer
15. Jake Trbojevic
16. Bryce Cartwright
17. James Tamou

betcats

Referee
IF Hayne comes back in the sort of form he left in then you have to have him at FB. Teddy can playin the wing or bide his time. For all his speed and illusiveness and attacking brilliance Teddy was given the ball twice last night in open space and couldn't finish either of them, Hayne scores both comfortably imo. He was the main reason we won our series the last 12 years so IF he is the same player still he is our FB for mine.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
The standouts were Frizell, Tedesco, Maloney, Fifita (apart from brain snap)
Duds were Mansour, Tamou, Jennings, Dugan.
Moylan was pretty bad but at least shows some promise as a ball distributor.
Mansour, Jennings, Dugan can pretty easily be replaced by Morris, Bird & Hayne if he returns.
Hayne can play wing better than Tedesco who is the best FB NSW have.

big hit!

Bench
:rolleyes:

The biggest problems for NSW since 2006 have been:

- Playing against teams stacked with Melbourne players who knew each others' games inside and out from playing together every week in the NRL (not to mention having blokes like Lockyer, Parker and Petero and a stack of other Broncos plus JT calling the shots)
QLD are always going to have the combinations advantage. there are significantly less QLDers playing in the NRL than NSWmen, and the really good ones are concentrated within 3-4 clubs and likely to always be. Melbourne might be in Victoria, but they'e fed by QLD junior clubs so more QLDers will end up there.

- Not having a full-time Origin coach until 2011 (Graham Murray wasn't going to target JT, his #1 star at the Cowboys and not only is Bellamy average without his Storm stars to help him- he definitely wasn't going to dish dirt on Slater, Inglis, Cronk and Smith when they're his pets, is he? Stupid decision to hire him in the first place!)
Harsh on Bellamy. His first priority is the Storm. It is why no Origin coach should be aligned to a club at the same time because their club duties will always take precedence.

Latest posts