What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 membership renewal

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
As someone previously mentioned that is most likely members looking to retain certain seats.

It would be interesting to get a breakdown of membership sign-ups/renewals month by month from the 2015/2016 off season to get a fair comparison to this current membership drive as it unfolds leading up to March 2017.

Exactly.

The main reason I'll be renewing my membership is because I like my current seating arrangements (especially Wollongong).

I am also concerned what effect current members revoking their memberships will have on a club that is 'allegedly' under financial duress.

The ghosts of Newtown and North Sydney resonate very strongly with me.

glenndragon

Juniors
Exactly.

The main reason I'll be renewing my membership is because I like my current seating arrangements (especially Wollongong).

I am also concerned what effect current members revoking their memberships will have on a club that is 'allegedly' under financial duress.

So mediocrity, if things are the same, or roll the dice and hope that with some sort of change this club can be well managed and competitive again? With the broadcasting rights, no club should be in the red. It's time!!!!!

Exsilium

First Grade
Not really.Just a reality of the game.

I get it, you support the Red V and the Dragons club above all else. Turn up on game day, buy a membership, some merchandise and don't consider yourself a fair weather supporter. Best kind of fan to be. right? Club is lucky to have such a stoic supporter.

Here's the reality of it. You are the biggest part of the club and the minority, the board and its puppeteers, are the ones who are telling you how it is. You may be happy to ride it out and cop that it's out of your hands but in doing so you're saying to them, the minority, that its fine, I'll be here regardless. You're hitting the glass ceiling despite knowing how high you can go. It's a shame. You're probably a decent fan but I couldn't sit idling by after six years of this rubbish.

You own the club, it's not theirs to ruin. It doesn't need to be the reality. Other clubs have come back from this but it requires the right people and input to make it happen. What they're offering you is not acceptable.

Last edited:

MattoDragon

Juniors
rec'd an email today, asking if I wish to renew my STI membership for 2017....after reading this forum over a period of time, would it be best to wait for a new coach before investing the hard earned to rejoin?

For sure. Don't give your money to Doust and this ridiculous committee

MattoDragon

Juniors
Wake up and pay your membership.Why punish the players and our club because of a silly Board and int Coach.
I for one will be paying my famiy membership for 2017.

How is it punishing the players? The players need a proven 1st grade coach and they need a board that puts the club on a strong financial footing and gives them the facilities and the backing they need.
Paying your membership means more of the same. If you're happy with 11th or worse each year, if you're happy with only signing 2nd tier players, if you're happy with a coach that is satisfied losing because the opposition could only score with kicks, if you're happy with mediocrity, then go ahead, renew your membership.
I've followed the Dragons since 1965 and I have been loyal to them, spent my hard earned, gone to home and away games each week, bought merchandise, etc, etc. But there comes a time when you have to take a stand against mediocrity, against a coach that can't coach try scoring, against a board that is a law unto itself.
Since 1965, I've seen our teams have good years and some seriously bad years, but I have never known a St George team coached so poorly or the club run so inefficiently. Yet we, as members, are expected to fork out each year but have no say in the way things are being run. Members have shown their dissatisfaction with the current state of the team and club. Yet, instead of taking action, they appoint a committee. Which proves they are incapable of making decisions. It's just gutless.
I will support our boys on the field till the day I die, but I'm buggered if I'm going to support the idiots running things at the moment. So until a proven first grade coach is appointed and a CEO and Board, with integrity, are in place, I will not be renewing my membership, going to games or purchasing merchandise. Because, unlike you, I'm not satisfied with mediocrity and ineptness.
So Forster Dragon, you're the one that needs to wake up.

Last edited:

BrissyRedV

Bench
Exactly.

At least you will have awesome seats as the management team ride the club into the ground... ;)

Completely your prerogative mate as is it is everyone's to choose there method of protest against the way the club is being managed. I do not intend to have a go at those renewing just I do not like those that are, to have a go at those who are not. Hopefully our protests will be short lived as the club realises that they should be listening to their supporters and sponsors.
How is it punishing the players? The players need a proven 1st grade coach and they need a board that puts the club on a strong financial footing and gives them the facilities and the backing they need.
Paying your membership means more of the same. If you're happy with 11th or worse each year, if you're happy with only signing 2nd tier players, if you're happy with a coach that is satisfied losing because the opposition could only score with kicks, if you're happy with mediocrity, then go ahead, renew your membership.
I've followed the Dragons since 1965 and I have been loyal to them, spent my hard earned, bought merchandise, etc, etc. But there comes a time when you have to take a stand against mediocrity, against a coach that can't coach try scoring, against a board that is a law unto itself. Since 1965, I've seen our teams have good years and some seriously bad years, but I have never known a St George team coached so poorly or the club run so inefficiently. Yet we, as members, are expected to fork out each year but have no say in the way thing are being run.
I will support our boys on the field till the day I die, but I'm buggered if I'm going to support the idiots running things at the moment. So until a proven first grade coach is appointed and a CEO and Board with integrity are in place, I will not be renewing my membership, going to games or purchasing merchandise. Because, unlike you, I'm not satisfied with mediocrity.
Boom.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
So mediocrity, if things are the same, or roll the dice and hope that with some sort of change this club can be well managed and competitive again? With the broadcasting rights, no club should be in the red. It's time!!!!!

Renewing one's membership isn't accepting mediocrity....far from it!

MattoDragon

Juniors
Wake up and pay your membership.Why punish the players and our club because of a silly Board and int Coach.
I for one will be paying my famiy membership for 2017.

I've followed the Dragons since 1965 and I have been loyal to them, spent my hard earned, bought merchandise, etc, etc. But there comes a time when you have to take a stand against mediocrity, against a coach that can't coach try scoring, against a board that is a law unto itself. Since 1965, I've seen our teams have good years and some seriously bad years, but I have never known a St George team coached so poorly or the club run so inefficiently. Yet we, as members, are expected to fork out each year but have no say in the way thing are being run.
I will support our boys on the field till the day I die, but I'm buggered if I'm going to support the idiots running things at the moment. So until a proven first grade coach is appointed and a CEO and Board with integrity are in place, I will not be renewing my membership, going to games or purchasing merchandise. Because, unlike you, I'm not satisfied with mediocrity.
Aargh. I know the majority of people here are correct. But I love being part of the club, even if it is a pretty meaningless and superficial part. I feel like crap. Not renewing, for now anyway.

Mate, I love this club. I've grown up following no other. But I will not be renewing my membership.
I will still follow the boys and cheer for the occasional try we score. Not renewing doesn't mean cutting ties or not being a fan. What I'm doing is standing up against a board that has brought MY footy team to its knees.
Once proud, now a laughing stock! We cannot allow this to continue.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
At least you will have awesome seats as the management team ride the club into the ground... ;)

Completely your prerogative mate as is it is everyone's to choose there method of protest against the way the club is being managed. I do not intend to have a go at those renewing just I do not like those that are, to have a go at those who are not. Hopefully our protests will be short lived as the club realises that they should be listening to their supporters and sponsors.

Boom.

Apropos my "awesome seats", I'm guessing you don't travel three-hours (one way) in order to get to Wollongong, and I'm assuming you don't have a physical disability either.

Hence my reticence to acquiescence what I consider to be the main benefit of the Red V membership program.

To each their own (I guess) but I do query the pragmatism of surrendering the above in addition to the boycotting of matches.

Not for me.

I plan to show my digust at the Club's insouciance in different ways.

MattoDragon

Juniors
Apropos my "awesome seats", I'm guessing you don't travel three-hours (one way) in order to get to Wollongong, and I'm assuming you don't have a physical disability either.

Hence my reticence to acquiescence what I consider to be the main benefit of the Red V membership program.

To each their own (I guess) but I do query the pragmatism of surrendering the above in addition to the boycotting of matches.

Not for me.

And how might that be???

BrissyRedV

Bench

Not for me.

You need to chill St Jimmy, I wasn't actually having a go. As I said, each to our own. And yes, you are guessing.

MattoDragon

Juniors
I wont be investing any $ until the L Plate coach is gone. Would love to see Doust gone as well but i expect that L plate would be more disposable of the two.
I will however continue to support my team & most likely go to Kogarah or the Gong to watch them.Have told the club of my decision & stated that when L plate is gone feel free to get back to me to see if i'm prepared to come on board.
Or is he? I personally think he can hardly contain his joy.

I'll clarify right from the outset that I am not a Doust fan and have made that known in many of my posts. But i am one of the minority who believes (and I have reason to believe i am correct) that he never wanted Mary, still doesn't want him and never will want him as our head coach. My immediate disappointment with Doust is that he was given the direction by the board to support and deliver Mary as coach, which he has done, but it was a decision he never agreed with and given the magnitude of the decision, the honorable thing to do would have been to resign his post in protest. He has now not only delivered Mary to us the first time against his will, he has sanctioned the impostor a 2nd time by delivering the news that he will still be coach in 2017.

But regardless of whether i think Doust is just happy to ride the gravy train regardless of his true view of Mary, don't be at all surprised if a severe decline in membership renewals and a public outpouring of member emotion that get's magnified by the media, is exactly what Doust wants to see. I am convinced he would like to see the ass end of Mary sooner rather than later, and if we all stay resolute with our membership cancellation intentions and are relentless in our condemnation of Mary, we are giving Doust the ammunition he needs to enable him to slap some sense into the "Mary's our Man" brigade. We just need to keep up the relentless pressure and condemnation, trust me (famous last words:D) but we are being heard.

Mate, I hope you're right. However, I still maintain Doust has been behind a lot of the shit that's dragging our team to its knees.

Latest posts