What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast Bears/Nth Sydney/Gosford

Tronald Crump

Juniors

LineBall

Juniors
I know this is a bit off topic, but the Bears should look at becoming the Team for the South Island of New Zealand. They already have the colours associated with the Canterbury Union. Just need the Warriors to revert to Auckland and go back to their Blue/Green/White colours (which were their best IMO). Having a local derby for the Kiwis would be a great boost for RL over there, and my just give the Warriors the kick up the backside they need.

T-Boon

Coach
In AFL Brisbane merging with Fitzroy has proven that the Bears concept is a dud.

Were Fitzroy as dead as the Bears when the merge happened? I don't know the history of that club or code but I always thought the club was Fitzroy one year then Brisbane the next.

It is also interesting to hear them say some of the old supporters just chose to support the Fitzroy Lions in the second tier competition (instead of being lost to the game) - the second tier is where the potential rookie draftees come from I think. I guess we don't have that option given that our second tier is reserve grade/ feeder clubs for the NRL (do Bears fans really support Rabbitohs reserve grade?)There just isn't any tier in our game where the clubs aren't sort of owned by an NRL club...(edit: possibly the "Real NRL" newcastle first grade is the highest level of RL that is somewhat independent from the NRL)
We should change that....

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
I know this is a bit off topic, but the Bears should look at becoming the Team for the South Island of New Zealand. They already have the colours associated with the Canterbury Union. Just need the Warriors to revert to Auckland and go back to their Blue/Green/White colours (which were their best IMO). Having a local derby for the Kiwis would be a great boost for RL over there, and my just give the Warriors the kick up the backside they need.

This is what I think. If they are so hell bent on getting back into the NRL pick a new untaped area. Christchurch or Perth.

jim_57

Staff member

I've been thinking this for a while, pick an area more likely to be part of expansion plans (if they ever come to exist) and put work in to the community game there and maybe even run a NSW/QLD Cup team under their name and colours.

davi

Juniors

If North Sydney want to try for the Central Coast good luck to them. But I really think it's a dud move whether its the Gold Coast Bears, the Perth Bears, or the NZ Bears. Its all half-arsed and considering their old and dwindling supporters wouldn't be able to go to a game, with the only possibility of getting one or two games a year at North Sydney oval I just don't see the point of it.

applesauce

Bench
The question is do you think the Titans on their current trajectory are going to eventually go belly up?

If yes, the Bears taking over cannot be worse right.
If no, the Bears need to find another host or give up on re-entry.

T-Boon

Coach
The question is do you think the Titans on their current trajectory are going to eventually go belly up?

If yes, the Bears taking over cannot be worse right.
If no, the Bears need to find another host or give up on re-entry.

I think the Titans need a re branding but stick with the Titans. New colours, get more Queenslanders in. That sort of thing. No Bears.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I think the Titans need a re branding but stick with the Titans. New colours, get more Queenslanders in. That sort of thing. No Bears.

Ive said before, I think they should ditch the cartoon entirely and just call themselves Gold Coast RLFC (or South Queensland RLFC)...

Let the Titans name either stick by itself or drift away naturally with general fan consensus finding something else to take its place. Basically, rather than trying to transplant a plastic brand, let something develop naturally that will have some actual texture and emotion.

Also, a colour chance would be a good idea; the dominant blue is too NSW for a team that needs to go out of its way to show it is a QLD side (its fine for NQLD, but when your so close to the tweed, its easy to become "Northern NSW").

Keep a bit do continuity but either add a 3rd more dominant colour...

17352346_1262933583760446_5347409363399034483_n.jpg

or just swap one out...

17362845_1262934873760317_2189088959910735719_n.jpg

Basically, anything to stop them looking like a low-rent blend of NSW Blues and Parramatta...

Pommy

Coach
One of the things mentioned last night on the Qlder show by Billy Moore, which I think actually made some sense, was that the proposal might involve the retention of the Titans brand, name and colours for home games, but then maybe just wear the Bears strip as their away strip in Sydney games and maybe one or two games they take to North Sydney Oval/Central Coast. It probably had some merit. I think 11 homes games is a lot to try and generate interest in, especially down the Coast. 8 or 9 home home games would probably be more than enough. It is not a bad way of actually generating a supporter base in Sydney for a club such as the Gold Coast. They also need to focus their efforts for membership and supporters on those suburbs between Gold Coast and Brisbane.

I'm not sure they can retain the brand but they could retain the colours.
When City group purchased Melbourne Heart they retained the colours for away games and incorporated two very small hearts in to the new Melbourne city badge.
It could be possible to see the bears play in blue on the GC and red and black away. I think they would need to try and maintain the brand as either one or the other overall though.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I'm not sure they can retain the brand but they could retain the colours.
When City group purchased Melbourne Heart they retained the colours for away games and incorporated two very small hearts in to the new Melbourne city badge.
It could be possible to see the bears play in blue on the GC and red and black away. I think they would need to try and maintain the brand as either one or the other overall though.

Nah, that would just be insulting to everyone involved....

Gold Coast fans would feel like they are getting half a team and the Bears fans would be thinking "this isnt my team, this is another team wearing my jersey".

I think this would just give you the worst of both worlds; Titans fans annoyed at how little their brand means to the club, Bears fans annoyed their jumper is being exploited by another club as an obvious cash grab

Pommy

Coach
Nah, that would just be insulting to everyone involved....

Gold Coast fans would feel like they are getting half a team and the Bears fans would be thinking "this isnt my team, this is another team wearing my jersey".

I think this would just give you the worst of both worlds; Titans fans annoyed at how little their brand means to the club, Bears fans annoyed their jumper is being exploited by another club as an obvious cash grab

Its not really a cash grab if the bears own the club and it's called the bears.
It's not an idea I would recommend anyway, but certainly a better one than having the two identities suggested on tv.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Its not really a cash grab if the bears own the club and it's called the bears.
It's not an idea I would recommend anyway, but certainly a better one than having the two identities suggested on tv.

Ok, then maintaining the old Titans jumper becomes the hollow gesture...

This situation only works for the Dragons/Steelers because their jumpers blend so easily. If a club was Blue-Gold for home games and Red-Black for away, thi would become nothing more than a sad sideshow.

The Titans branding is already f*cked up enough, throughing in a Red-Black away jumper is not a solution...

Titanic

First Grade
It's interesting reading the posts of all those Gold Coast experts who don't actually live on the Coast. The most insulting comments are those even slightly considering that the Central Coast offer has any traction at all.

Firstly, we are generally content with the progress of the club since Searle/Cartwright got ditched. Secondly, we have a local consortium ready to move in as soon as the NRL get around to putting the franchise up for sale. Thirdly, we already have a successful Bears of our own, the Burleigh Bears, and I'm sure that they will not relinquish their 100 year old brand to some failed Sydney fiasco.

Post away but be assured that the Coast has every intention of keeping what's theirs.

taipan

Referee
As stated Titans will remain in situ, with a local consortium who know the area ,have the financial clout.

Bears need to go back to the drawing board, either Brisbane 2,CC.Adelaide ,but they are p8ssing good money after bad continuing on with the GC Titan's experiment.

Pommy

Coach
As stated Titans will remain in situ, with a local consortium who know the area ,have the financial clout.

Bears need to go back to the drawing board, either Brisbane 2,CC.Adelaide ,but they are p8ssing good money after bad continuing on with the GC Titan's experiment.

Where has that been stated? I've seen plenty of people in here say it has been but haven't seen anything offical.

taipan

Referee
As stated by Titanic here to be clear.And print media comments by Kelly one involved in the consortium.OK it's not written in stone, but I'll bet my b*lls the locals will get it.

The NRL is all about maxing the amount on the sale, the Bears $7m is not near the mark.And IMO a team from Sydney in a combo with a Qld one just won't work.

Latest posts