What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast Bears/Nth Sydney/Gosford

OVP

Coach
Roosters arent a successful club, they are a successful corporation that owns an average football team...

You talk about how wonderful all of your clubs assets are. Well they will be just as wonderful with you playing anywhere else. In terms of pure fan engagment and promotion of the sport, you team is middle of the pack at best

Who do you follow ? Has to be Brisbane with that sort of arrogance. No matter who you follow you're just another idiot who has no idea about anything at all to do with the Roosters. Think you know everything, in reality know shit. I'd bet you'd be under 30 too.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Who do you follow ? Has to be Brisbane with that sort of arrogance. No matter who you follow you're just another idiot who has no idea about anything at all to do with the Roosters. Think you know everything, in reality know shit. I'd bet you'd be under 30 too.

Im a Steelers fan. Try again

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Ahhh so you didn't like my quip about the Illawarra Dragons then. Nevermind, we can all do the Oki Chokie and forget about it.

No, i didnt mind...

As much as id love to see the Steelers back (or at least given fair representation in the SGI branding), i accept the reality of the market; there arent enough corporate sponsors in Wollongong to sustain a team just as their arent enough fans in East Sydney to a full-time team there worth having.

I think its great that the Roosters have a diverse portfolio of properties (its a great way to sustain them through bad periods). But when the team is consistently getting crowds that would embarrass Union, all you have is a football team dragging down an otherwise successful business.

The pure and simple reason for an NRL teams existence is to get fans to watch and attend games. If they cant do that where they are, they should either move or shut up shop....

OVP

Coach
No, i didnt mind...

As much as id love to see the Steelers back (or at least given fair representation in the SGI branding), i accept the reality of the market; there arent enough corporate sponsors in Wollongong to sustain a team just as their arent enough fans in East Sydney to a full-time team there worth having.

I think its great that the Roosters have a diverse portfolio of properties (its a great way to sustain them through bad periods). But when the team is consistently getting crowds that would embarrass Union, all you have is a football team dragging down an otherwise successful business.

The pure and simple reason for an NRL teams existence is to get fans to watch and attend games. If they cant do that where they are, they should either move or shut up shop....

OK kid, whatever you think.

Jetka100

Juniors
One of the things mentioned last night on the Qlder show by Billy Moore, which I think actually made some sense, was that the proposal might involve the retention of the Titans brand, name and colours for home games, but then maybe just wear the Bears strip as their away strip in Sydney games and maybe one or two games they take to North Sydney Oval/Central Coast. It probably had some merit. I think 11 homes games is a lot to try and generate interest in, especially down the Coast. 8 or 9 home home games would probably be more than enough. It is not a bad way of actually generating a supporter base in Sydney for a club such as the Gold Coast. They also need to focus their efforts for membership and supporters on those suburbs between Gold Coast and Brisbane.

adamkungl

Immortal
No, i didnt mind...

If only your delusions were reflected by reality...
Last year we had the worst average in the NRL. It's equivalent with 3 or 4 teams the previous year.
The previous year we had one of the best in Sydney.
There are about 2 teams in the comp that don't regularly pull embarrassing crowds when they're shithouse. Maybe we should relocate them all!

T-Boon

Coach
If only your delusions were reflected by reality...
Last year we had the worst average in the NRL. It's equivalent with 3 or 4 teams the previous year.
The previous year we had one of the best in Sydney.
There are about 2 teams in the comp that don't regularly pull embarrassing crowds when they're shithouse. Maybe we should relocate them all!

The Roosters wear the weight of peoples disappointment that the Swans get such good crowds. There are 40k people willing to go to Moore Park on a weekend to watch football and they go to watch that dead shit game instead of the Roosters. Every other place in RL strong hold Rugby League holds it own against the evil enemy but in the Eastern Suburbs the Roosters have just let things get so bad its not even competitive anymore.

davi

Juniors
I honestly think people are looking too much into the logo and name. If you told me the first time Rabbitohs would be a good name for a football team I would have laughed out loud. But its now held tightly by football fans as tradition and a historical icon of Rugby league.

Gold Coast problems are alot more complex then a name and a logo. And changing something that has already been established and been marketed for 10 years would be a step backwards.

Also if you look at the teams around the league alot of them have names that having nothing to do with the area. Just suggesting the only criteria for a teams name should be a where the team is based is rubbish.

adamkungl

Immortal
Every other place in RL strong hold Rugby League holds it own against the evil enemy but in the Eastern Suburbs the Roosters have just let things get so bad its not even competitive anymore.

Oh yeah the other 8 Sydney teams are really competing well against the big AFL and Union clubs in their area.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Roosters cop a lot of flack and have had plenty of crap crowd years in the 10-13k range but have had a few 16-19k years. Challenge is getting people there consistently and not losing a third of the crowd when not winning the comp.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
One of the things mentioned last night on the Qlder show by Billy Moore, which I think actually made some sense, was that the proposal might involve the retention of the Titans brand, name and colours for home games, but then maybe just wear the Bears strip as their away strip in Sydney games and maybe one or two games they take to North Sydney Oval/Central Coast. It probably had some merit. I think 11 homes games is a lot to try and generate interest in, especially down the Coast. 8 or 9 home home games would probably be more than enough. It is not a bad way of actually generating a supporter base in Sydney for a club such as the Gold Coast. They also need to focus their efforts for membership and supporters on those suburbs between Gold Coast and Brisbane.

Hahahahaha, i think thats the worst idea ive heard so far...

Titanic

First Grade
For those with reasonable memories, it wasn't that long ago that the Bears were going to buy the Storm's licence ... that was before they began their annual headline grabbing pilgrimage for the Titans. Florimo should be ashamed of himself, keeping his snout in the trough.

The Great Dane

First Grade
For those with reasonable memories, it wasn't that long ago that the Bears were going to buy the Storm's licence ... that was before they began their annual headline grabbing pilgrimage for the Titans. Florimo should be ashamed of himself, keeping his snout in the trough.

They were gonna take over the Sharks license as well.

JamesBrandy

Juniors
They were talking about this over a year ago. What about the Burleigh Bears?

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...s/news-story/73dbec4993aa975c8b5d726dca76471c

Burleigh Bears tell North Sydney to back off in bid to rebrand Titans as Gold Coast Bears
Emma Greenwood, Gold Coast Bulletin
February 26, 2016 12:00am
BACK off, we’re the Gold Coast’s Bears.

That’s the message the Burleigh Bears are sending North Sydney as they protect their 80-year association with rugby league on the Coast.

News North Sydney is angling to buy the Gold Coast Titans franchise from the NRL and rebrand as the Bears with almost identical logos and colours to the rugby league club established on the Gold Coast in 1934 has Burleigh leaders determined to protect their identity.

North Sydney’s strong leagues club has registered several business names including Gold Coast Bears, Coastal Bears, North Coast Bears and Northern Bears, showing talk it is willing to buy the Titans is more than just the rumour many had heard over the past several months.

But Burleigh chief executive Damian Driscoll said his Bears were not willing to give up their identity without a fight, including possible legal action.

“We’re the only Bears on the Gold Coast,” Driscoll said.

“It’s fair to say we’d fight tooth and nail to be the only rugby league team on the Gold Coast … that carries that name.

“I hope we don’t get to that stage but they obviously have registered that name, I think the club would be pretty strong on (protecting its identity).

“There’s a fair bit of history in the club and it’s been around since 1934 and they’ve made their stand on the Gold Coast and are synonymous with rugby league on the Coast.”

Burleigh football club chairman Paul Khan said North Sydney should have approached Burleigh if they wanted to have a presence on the Gold Coast.

“If there was any substance to (talk of them buying the Titans) they’d want to at least talk to Burleigh Bears,” he said.

“We’re a brand established for 70 years and we’ve got a fairly large footprint on the Coast as far as rugby league goes. We’d have to be some sort of influence I’d think.”

The NRL has refused to reveal a price for the Titans.

The game’s 2014 annual report revealed it paid $7.3 million to acquire the Newcastle Knights, while the Titans shareholding was valued at about $11.25 million before they entered administration a year ago.

An NRL spokesman, who reiterated the league’s commitment to the Gold Coast, said the organisation wanted the best possible price for the Titans.

“We’re not going to enter into any speculation about figures,” he said.

“We’ll let market forces determine the value of the club.”

T-Boon

Coach
It doesn't fill with confidence that the Bears will be well run that they didn't even think to get the Burleigh Bears onside with the idea. Maybe offer them in even?
Actually why not the Australia Bears? - then they can play anywhere they want.
They need to start the B-League.

davi

Juniors
In AFL Brisbane merging with Fitzroy has proven that the Bears concept is a dud.

"The demise of Fitzroy led to three types of fan reactions. Some hearts followed the team north, others switched to other Victorian clubs, and there were those who stopped following the elite game altogether.

Player responses also vary. According to Ken Woolley, of the Fitzroy Past Players' Association, fewer than half of the former Roys he has encountered would identify as supporters of the Brisbane Lions."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...el-about-the-merged-club-20150619-ghskfi.html