What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

jim_57

Staff member
Once Parra, ANZ and Townsville are done, besides Canberra we are looking pertty much set, maybe a couple little upgrades but no need for major upgrades or new stadiums off the top of my head.

Warriors fans, what is the atmosphere/experience like at Mt Smart? would there ever be need for a new or redeveloped stadium?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Bit worried about the ANZ stadium refurb tbh

Story in the telegraph suggesting Sydney may play host to the 2022 commonwealth games, with ANZ being the main stadium.

Can't see how that's possible with the move to a permanent rectangle.

The fact that Baird pushed for ANZ over Allianz doubles the concern.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...t/news-story/738ce3b22dcfc425159a6f2a7911c5a9

That would be f*cking lunacy when we have the SCG sitting right there...

I am genuinely worried the stadium package will collapse on us. It is just what the game needs, so of course it will all go to shit.

That would be f*cking lunacy when we have the SCG sitting right there...

I am genuinely worried the stadium package will collapse on us. It is just what the game needs, so of course it will all go to shit.

Problem with the SCG is cricket has exclusive summer rights from here to eternity. It's theirs from October thru March.

There's no need to host the comm games full stop. It's Mickey Mouse.

The way this city treats its no.1 sport is disgraceful.

Don't worry about the 2022 commonwealths...Liverpool or Birmingham here in the UK are getting it

Both are possible, as is a joint bid.

Perth are well and truly in the mix.

Melbourne and Manchester have hosted it too recently to be considered.

Should Edmonton revitalise their bid, the games will be going to Alberta.

BlueandGold

Juniors
Bit worried about the ANZ stadium refurb tbh

Story in the telegraph suggesting Sydney may play host to the 2022 commonwealth games, with ANZ being the main stadium.

Can't see how that's possible with the move to a permanent rectangle.

The fact that Baird pushed for ANZ over Allianz doubles the concern.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...t/news-story/738ce3b22dcfc425159a6f2a7911c5a9

It's likely only 11 Eels NRL games will be played at the Western Sydney Stadium when it opens, however there is a possibility ANZ Stadium could be shut down for two years during the redevelopment to turn the Olympic stadium into a permanent rectangular facility.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ium-but-only-eels-commit-20170314-guxu4c.html

Seems they might be pushing to have ANZ built in 2 years, making Souths and Dogs play out of either the new Western Sydney Stadium or Belmore and Alliance.

Either way ANZ will be going ahead.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
Christ I hope that doesn't happen. What a massive waste of money that'd be.

BlueandGold

Juniors
I'll bet the fumbleball admin hopes Sydney gets the Comm games.

I bet the Cricket hopes we don't because the SCG will be the Athletics stadium.

Gladdys said she will think about making a bid........which means i dont give a f**k right now.

I hope she is ready for the upheaval if she decides to back-flip on ANZ being made into a perma rectangle, her government will be on rocky ground after the Greyhounds and Lockout laws.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Geez would be good if perth got it, they would probably finish the redevelopment of nib as part of it. New west and north stand and roof over the south stand, 30k ish stadium would be brilliant.

Sadly Libs have screwed WA finances and its likely to go to England so not much hope,

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ium-but-only-eels-commit-20170314-guxu4c.html

Seems they might be pushing to have ANZ built in 2 years, making Souths and Dogs play out of either the new Western Sydney Stadium or Belmore and Alliance.

Either way ANZ will be going ahead.

Yeah but this commonwealth games info is new, if they want to use it for that purpose they won't be able to transform ANZ until after 2022. And if it gets delayed I'm concerned it could be dumped or scaled back altogether.

Reactions: siv
I bet the Cricket hopes we don't because the SCG will be the Athletics stadium.

Gladdys said she will think about making a bid........which means i dont give a f**k right now.

I hope she is ready for the upheaval if she decides to back-flip on ANZ being made into a perma rectangle, her government will be on rocky ground after the Greyhounds and Lockout laws.

The Tele article specifically mentions ANZ being the athletics field.

Cricket will require compensation, they have vert distant contracts for exclusive 6 month use. Anything that gets held is cleared with them (concerts etc)

El Diablo

Post Whore
if they decided to make it oval shaped then the NRL must simply tell them to get f**ked and refuse to ever play there

Soccer and Union should do the same

PaulyTom

Juniors
if they decided to make it oval shaped then the NRL must simply tell them to get f**ked and refuse to ever play there

Soccer and Union should do the same
I agree. No one would agree to that other then AFL.

I doubt Sydney could afford the games anyways.

Diesel

Referee
Without reading the article, I find it strange Sydney is mentioned when the GC has the 2018 games