What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

ACT Brumbies and stadium in Civic on the same chopping block

Sports fans in the nation's capital have 350 million reasons to get out to Canberra Stadium on Saturday night and support the under fire ACT Brumbies.

On Wednesday ACT sport minister Yvette Berry all but confirmed plans to build a new $350 million stadium in Civic would be scrapped if the Brumbies are booted from Super Rugby.

Australia's most successful franchise are reportedly in the firing line as one of the teams which could be chopped by SANZAAR in the coming weeks.

It understood the Super Rugby will be reduced next season from its current 18-team format as SANZAAR bosses try to find a way to reinvigorate the competition.

Plans for a stadium in Civic have been delayed while the government pushes ahead with its light rail project, but without the Brumbies the venue would be used only for Canberra Raiders home NRL games.

Berry agreed the SANZAAR decision would play a significant role in whether a fan-friendly stadium in Canberra's city centre would be built, but added there would also be short-term ramifications.

"It has a massive effect on the existing stadium as well, Canberra Stadium needs usage so [it would have a massive effect] for the current stadium but also plans for any future stadium," Berry said.

"It's something we'd have to reconsider and have a look at whether it's going to be viable without the sporting teams to be able to play on it."

Berry said given the Brumbies track record it was hard to believe they are even being considered by SANZAAR, but added the fans must speak with their feet on Saturday night.

"For a team that has been so successful and a founding member of Super Rugby, that the Brumbies are even being considered is remarkable," Berry said.

"It is [ridiculous], but I think the main thing is for us to send a very strong message as a community and turn up to the game against the Highlanders this weekend.

"The Brumbies aren't just a club, they're part of our community, they live here, their children go to our schools, they're more important to us than just a rugby union team."

Berry privately voiced her support for the Brumbies to ARU last month when the sport minister said the club deserved a chance to recover from its off-field dramas last year.

The government reiterated its support in a letter penned to ARU boss Bill Pulver on Tuesday from chief minister Andrew Barr and Berry.

"When the Wallabies vs Argentina match in Canberra was announced last month the ARU were down here and whilst we didn't specifically talk about any decision on the Brumbies, I did say we were supporting them and we wanted them to really have a chance to recover," Berry said.

"They're successful on the field and we know that the community loves them and wants them to stay and we told the ARU we are committed to them as a government."

Berry hopes the government's support will add weight to the Brumbies' case and said they will not be palmed off by Pulver.

"We hope so [to hear back] and if not we'll give him a call and say we haven't heard from you," Berry said.

"We'll do that and what we can, we've supported the Brumbies for a number of years and we're supporting them over the next five years with a funding agreement."

Brumbies chief executive Michael Thomson said the government's support simply reflects the views of Canberra's rugby community.

"It's terrific to have ACT Government support. People are proud of being Canberrans and we see ourselves as a natural extension of that," Thomson said.

"Living in Canberra is a special thing and the Brumbies are part of that."

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/spo...-the-same-chopping-block-20170322-gv40j6.html

That is why we don't want the Brumbies getting cut.

BTW the delay on the stadium has nothing to do with light rail, it's because of mister fluffy (asbestos), just thought I'd do the journalists work for him.

f**k!

Canberra A-League, however unlikely, would be a start as far as recouping lost content though.

taipan

Referee
If I were a betting man,I think it will be the Farce.
Reason: Brumbies well established, won a few finals. stand named after a couple of players and losing them would decimate the code in the ACT.

Rebels.privately owned, in the 2nd biggest commercial city in Oz.NRL would be beneficiaries.

Force are newbies ,distance a factor hence costs, rely on Saffas kiwis and Poms with little financial backing .

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yeah we don't want the brumbies to go just yet ... let's get this stadium built
Then they can disappear up Fulvers clacker for all I care :)

Even after the stadium is built the Raiders (and by extension the NRL) need the Brumbies around, otherwise you can kiss any future development into rectangular codes infrastructure goodbye, the Raiders rent could as much as double, and because of a handful of people currently in power in the ACT government, the AFL would effectively be given the keys to the city without any challenge.

The Brumbies dying would be such a catastrophe for not only RU, but soccer, and RL in the ACT that I'd go so far as to say that if the sh!t really hits the fan for the Brumbies that the Raiders group should offer to buy them to keep them alive, it'd be a massive hit to the bank balance, and wouldn't be an ideal situation for many reasons, but in the long run it'd be better then the alternative of losing the Brumbies.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Even after the stadium is built the Raiders (and by extension the NRL) need the Brumbies around, otherwise you can kiss any future development into rectangular codes infrastructure goodbye, the Raiders rent could as much as double, and because of a handful of people currently in power in the ACT government, the AFL would effectively be given the keys to the city without any challenge.

The Brumbies dying would be such a catastrophe for not only RU, but soccer, and RL in the ACT that I'd go so far as to say that if the sh!t really hits the fan for the Brumbies that the Raiders group should offer to buy them to keep them alive, it'd be a massive hit to the bank balance, and wouldn't be an ideal situation for many reasons, but in the long run it'd be better then the alternative of losing the Brumbies.

That would be such a weird and interesting situation...

Id love to see how it would go. (buying a soccer team would be no drama, but a Union team??)

Raiderdave

First Grade

The Raiders don't pay rent
They'd continue that arrangement in any new deal in a new stadium

If anything
If the stadium was built & the brumbies fell over after

The govt would probably need to sweeten the deal even further to ensure they had a tennent at all at the venue

The Great Dane

First Grade
The Raiders don't pay rent
They'd continue that arrangement in any new deal in a new stadium

If anything
If the stadium was built & the brumbies fell over after

The govt would probably need to sweeten the deal even further to ensure they had a tennent at all at the venue

I'm sorry but whoever told you that the Raiders don't pay rent is just wrong!
The Raiders don't pay rent for Raiders HQ, however they still pay rent for Bruce Stadium.

Also there's no way that the government would "sweeten the deal" because not only do they take the Raiders for granted, but it also wouldn't be in their interest to build a new stadium then give the only tenant a cheap deal and effectively have a giant white elephant on their hands.
Add to that the well reported, shall we say 'special interests', of a handful of powerful people in the ACT government, and you can kiss a good outcome for the Raiders and RL in general good bye.

If the Brumbies go then if there is a new stadium it will be a multipurpose stadium, the Raiders rent will be exorbitant to make up the loss of the Brumbies rent, and GWS will effectively be payed millions to play at it and'll probably be given all sponsorship money from the new stadium to boot.
The only thing that could put a spanner in the works in that situation is if the FFA sees the Brumbies dying as a good opportunity to expand to Canberra, but as long as Gallop is in charge I can't see that happening.

The Great Dane

First Grade
That would be such a weird and interesting situation...

Id love to see how it would go. (buying a soccer team would be no drama, but a Union team??)

Why would it be weird?
No different then any other multi sports clubs except that it'd have two with different brands which would be a bit different I guess, and it'd give the Raiders ownership to the Brumbies brand, which like it or not, is a very valuable sports brand in the country.

If buying the Brumbies fell through (which it likely would), then if I was the Raiders group I'd look into building our own stadium at Northbourne oval, it'd only be a small stadium, and it'd be expensive, but if it's practical it'd be a good investment for our future and we wouldn't be reliant on anybody but ourselves for our stadium arrangements anymore.

Timbo

Staff member
The Raiders don't pay rent for Raiders HQ, however they still pay rent for Bruce Stadium.

Also there's no way that the government would "sweeten the deal" because not only do they take the Raiders for granted, but it also wouldn't be in their interest to build a new stadium then give the only tenant a cheap deal and effectively have a giant white elephant on their hands.
Add to that the well reported, shall we say 'special interests', of a handful of powerful people in the ACT government, and you can kiss a good outcome for the Raiders and RL in general good bye.

If the Brumbies go then if there is a new stadium it will be a multipurpose stadium, the Raiders rent will be exorbitant to make up the loss of the Brumbies rent, and GWS will effectively be payed millions to play at it and'll probably be given all sponsorship money from the new stadium to boot.
The only thing that could put a spanner in the works in that situation is if the FFA sees the Brumbies dying as a good opportunity to expand to Canberra, but as long as Gallop is in charge I can't see that happening.

Raiderdave lives in a parallel universe where he thinks the only people who like sport in Canberra are league fans, and the government will bend over backwards to accomodate them. Despite all evidence to the contrary over the last two decades.

Everything you've written above is bang on. A Super Rugby team and a possible A-League team mean this stadium is cheaper and kept in better condition long term. Let alone getting built in the first place.

Raiderdave

First Grade

they get a 2.2 million annual grant from the govt
that covers all of their rent for Bruce & then some
perhaps thats what I was told
so ...they technically don't pay to play at Bruce

if anything the Raiders could up the ante for a raise in their grant
the Midgets get approx 675K a game to play 3 comp games & 1 trial here

the Raiders get a 3rd of that approx per game
they have an argument to get the amount upped , If thats not possible ,,, then a very ,,, very good deal for the new stadium then. I don't think we'll get screwed , the Raiders won't allow that to happen at their expense
if they're not happy ... there won't be any stadium , multipurpose or otherwise
this isn't Sydney
the Govt has few options for tennents in the venue when it is built

Raiderdave

First Grade
Raiderdave lives in a parallel universe where he thinks the only people who like sport in Canberra are league fans, and the government will bend over backwards to accomodate them. Despite all evidence to the contrary over the last two decades.

Everything you've written above is bang on. A Super Rugby team and a possible A-League team mean this stadium is cheaper and kept in better condition long term. Let alone getting built in the first place.

have you ever set foot in the capital you moron ?