What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Papali

The Enforcer

Juniors
He's lost his kangaroo's jersey (and the pay cheque that goes with it), wouldnt shock me if his QLD jersey is threatened by this, no doubt he's received a fairly hefty fine by the club as well as is customary with this sort of thing
So he's probably out about 80k (maybe more if he loses his QLD jumper), lost a test cap, is sitting out a big game for his team and was demoted from the Senior Leadership Group. This on top of losing his license for 8 months (and a fine by the law which is absolutely meaningless for someone on his income)

I'd say he's paid a fairly hefty price.
I repeat that the club has put themselves first in not banning him for many more games.
An obvious signal that the club is selfish and panicking at its lack of results. Missing many more club games should have been automatic followed by further penalties up the ladder.
I know even the most loyal Canberra fan will be thinking that club ban given is pathetically inadequate but won't say so.
Canberra Raiders being purely selfish and not sending the right message.

nick87

Coach
Yeah i very much doubt that Ed.
Papalii has been playing amazing footy, he's got a lot of family in town now and is very tight with guys like Sia, Beej and Raps. He's also extremely tight with Stuart.

I mean sport is a funny game and you're right stranger things have happened, but i would be stunned if Papalii wanted out of canberra.

Bronco18

Juniors
I repeat that the club has put themselves first in not banning him for many more games.
An obvious signal that the club is selfish and panicking at its lack of results. Missing many more club games should have been automatic followed by further penalties up the ladder.
I know even the most loyal Canberra fan will be thinking that club ban given is pathetically inadequate but won't say so.
Canberra Raiders being purely selfish and not sending the right message.

The whole delayed hearing thing until the Rep weekend, following that with the week they play Newcastle is pretty transparent.

In saying that, most clubs would do that in the Raiders position. Broncos have stretched Roberts' last chance out. The NRL asks for it with the club being allowed to respond first to incidents.

myrrh ken

First Grade
NRL letting the Broncos get away with zero game bans on Roberts paves the way for 1-game bans like this.

It's pathetic.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Like how the Raiders let him play v's the Dogs and offered the Knights game as their token punishment. I get the feeling that the Raiders season is in free-fall and have already loaded up on the Knights to continue the misery in a fortnight.

hrundi99

First Grade
The board members couldn't get together before the weekend last week.

A Kangaroos game and a Raiders game is an adequate punishment.

myrrh ken

First Grade
The board members couldn't get together before the weekend last week.

I call crap.

"The Canberra Raiders have a strong record in dealing with player behaviour issues and this matter will be no different," Furner said in a statement.

"The board meeting Monday will give both parties time to consider the facts and to hear Josh's side of the story before handing down any further sanctions.

"We have to also balance personal matters and player welfare in a sensitive and confidential manner, as best we can, given the media interest.

"Obviously, we do not condone what Josh has done but we know how remorseful he is and he remains a highly valued member of the Raiders family."

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...be-harsh-on-josh-papalii-20170428-gvufyz.html

But i guess those 2 to 3 page police fact sheets are "difficult" to read. Especially given they knew the facts months ago. oh well.

In any event they could have stood him down pending the decision.

Its such a coincidence that its only a 1 match ban and it was against the knights.

Its not the crime of the century but i would have expected between 2 and 4 weeks.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Why would you expect 2 to 4 weeks ? Its pretty much in line with what other players caught drink driving copped.

It is coincidence that its against the knights because that just happened to be when his court appearance took place. Yeah one could argue the raiders were a bit cheeky pushing it out a week but its not like furner could have rocked up to the nrl and said hey nrl how about we roll this punishment around to the Knights game if we played the knights a month from now.

myrrh ken

First Grade
You're probably right. Its wildly inconsistent re punishments for drink driving. His was less worse than the ones below.

Peni Terepo - 3 weeks - although he didn't tell the club.
Paul Carter - suspended immediately by Titans for 2 weeks re his first offence
Tamou - 1 week and $20K
Liam Knight - 4 weeks

I'm willing to bet if Raiders played knights last weekend - he would've served it then.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Monaghan got pretty much chased out the country. Harsh certainly but the nrl will always take a worse view on weirdness than simple law breaking. Its stupid as f**k but they are very image conscious.

I know they would argue with toddles it was a build up of a lot of stupid shit but ultimately he got run out of rugby league for being pissing in his own mouth. Weird sure but hardly illegal

The nrl probably thought the embarrassing act of calling the cops and dobbing himself in was worse than the drink driving because it was weird and draws attention to the strange lunatics who play the game.

Latest posts