What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG Kumuls Vs Cook Islands

Force

Juniors
Like who?

The main names I can think of - Takarangi is injured, hasn't Taia gone to the UK, Napa doesn't appear to want anything to do with the Cooks, Tetevano maybe?
The ones I know of that arent named are Joseph Manu, Zane Tetevano, Dylan Napa, Tepai Moeroa, Kenny Edwards, Brad Takairangi, Jordan Rapana, Valentine Holmes, Josh Papali'i, Sione Katoa, Dom Peyroux, Tinirau Arona, Zeb Taia, Anthony Gelling.

Force

Juniors
And the missing PNG big names are Ray Thompson, David Mead, Alex Johnstone, James Segeyaro, Gideon Gela-Mosby, Kato Ottio, Kurt Baptiste, Nene MacDonald (who has just picked up a mysterious two week injury)

myrrh ken

First Grade
To be fair some are injured: baptiste, takarangi, seg, mcdonald(?)

Others have been picked elsewhere: rapana, holmes, papalli,

But what's wrong with the others? Will they suddenly jump on board come World cup time?

Is GGM eligible for PNG?

Force

Juniors

But what's wrong with the others? Will they suddenly jump on board come World cup time?

Is GGM eligible for PNG?
I agree there are players with legit injuries like Segeyaro, Takairangi etc..... but some of these other injuries are suspect. I bet if it were a normal NRL weekend they would probably be playing.

On GGM, I read an article before about him stating he wants to play for PNG. I see hes been named in the Residents team just like Tariq Sims being named in the Country team.

mikail-eagle

Bench
GGM pulled out of the Qld Residents Team yesterday. There is speculation on PNG Social media that he might be joining the PNG Team in Sydney.

latingringo101

Juniors
In 2009 and the 2013 RLWC the Cooks had a very strong team. Since the creation of the Pacific Test the Cooks have been hard done by because they've basically had to convince NRL clubs to release players to play for a national team against teams such as Lebanon in a more low key match.

Hopefully next year they're invited once again to play and can help convince more of their pro players to play for them.

morningstar

Juniors
Is GGM eligible for PNG?

Unconfirmed, but he is trying...

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/4ad6ec5f7cbf83e5402abb0d6612f9c7

The Cowboys speedster, who has been named in the Queensland Residents team to play NSW Residents on May 7, grew up on Darnley Island in the Torres Strait but could be eligible for the Kumuls through his parents’ links to Daru Island, 1.3km off the coast of Papua New Guinea.

Gela-Mosby has told PNG selectors of his desire to represent the Kumuls and is an outside chance of cracking the national team for their Test against the Cook Islands.

The only sticking point is whether he can prove his eligibility to the international body.

Evil Homer

Staff member

Is GGM eligible for PNG?
Cooks aren't in the World Cup so it doesn't really matter.

mikail-eagle

Bench
https://www.nrl.com/papua-new-guinea-v-cook-islands-preview/tabid/10874/newsid/106382/default.aspx

Preview from NRL.COM..

Funny they still have Nene Macdonald in the PNG team.

Papua New Guinea v Cook Islands Preview

Papua New Guinea v Cook Islands
Campbelltown Sports Stadium
Saturday, 3.15pm

Like surprises?

This game will feature only four players you have seen in action in the NRL this year but like that movie you knew nothing about before raving about to anyone who would listen, this could be the game that sticks in the memory long after the Representative Round has been completed.

Looking to build on their shock 24-22 win over Fiji last year, the Kumuls have stuck with a team consisting largely of payers from the PNG Hunters Intrust Super Cup team with just a gentle sprinkling of players currently at NRL clubs.

Nene Macdonald's form on the wing for the Dragons has been outstanding to start 2017 and he will move in one spot to play in the centres on Saturday with Justin Olam (Storm), Rhyse Martin and Rod Griffin (both Bulldogs) the only other players currently contracted to NRL clubs.

But the Hunters are riding high on the top of the Intrust Super Cup ladder with just two losses through the first nine rounds thanks largely to the creative work of halves Ase and Watson Boas and hooker Wartovo Puara Jnr who all played integral roles in their Pacific Test win 12 months ago.

Cook Islands have drawn on players from the NRL, Holden Cup, Intrust Super Premiership, Intrust Super Cup, Ron Massey Cup, England and France and while the likes of Dylan Napa and Brad Takairangi from their World Cup campaign aren't available this time there is no shortage of talent.

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad showed in his NRL debut for the Warriors last weekend that the raps on the 21-year-old have been well founded while Esan Marsters represented the Junior Kiwis last year and is signed with the Wests Tigers until the end of next season.

As hosts for three matches of this year's Rugby League World Cup this is a match in which PNG will be looking to put the rest of international rugby league on notice.

Why PNG can win: Although both sides will play with plenty of energy and enthusiasm the Kumuls have the class not only in the halves but out wide to put points on in quick succession. The Boas brothers, Ase and Watson, guided PNG to their upset win over Fiji last year and with the likes of Nene Macdonald, Justin Olam and Adex Wera out wide the try-scoring potency is strong. And keep an eye out for hooker Wartovo Puara Jnr; he was the breakout star of last year's Pacific Test.

Why Cook Islands can win: The names may not be too familiar but there is an abundance of talent in a Cook Islands team that has been pulled from all corners of the rugby league world. Alex Glenn, Geoff Daniela and Sam Mataora all have extensive NRL experience and there are a group of youngsters led by outstanding talent Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad who promise to carry the Cook Islands forward in the years to come. PNG may not know what to expect which could be the Cook Islands' greatest weapon.

The history: Played 1; PNG 42 def. Cook Islands 14

While the Kumuls may not have any survivors from the 2009 Pacific Cup meeting between these nations – the only match they have played against each other – Sam Mataora remains for the Cook Islands, although it is unlikely he will line up at halfback as he did eight years ago just two weeks after turning 19. Last year's Representative Round win over Fiji was PNG's first official Test win since that victory over the Cook Islands who notched a win over Wales at the 2013 Rugby League World Cup.

Match officials: Referee: James Childs. Touch Judges: Michael Wise and Nick Beashel. Review Official: Bryan Norrie. Senior RO: Bernard Sutton.

Televised: Fox Sports – Live from 3pm.

NRL.com predicts: Given just how far and wide the Cook Islands team has been assembled the well-honed combinations of the Hunters players in the PNG team shape as a major advantage in such a short preparation. It was a surprise when PNG knocked over World Cup quarter-finalists Fiji last year; this is a match they are expected to win. Kumuls by 14 points.

Force

Juniors
GGM pulled out of the Qld Residents Team yesterday. There is speculation on PNG Social media that he might be joining the PNG Team in Sydney.
I hope he plays for PNG, whats the point playing in a residents game or City/Country game for that matter. Neither of those two games should take precedence over a Full international game. Good riddance to the latter next year, I wont miss it.

Last edited:

mikail-eagle

Bench
Few good stories about some of the players lining up these weekend. Hers one of David Munro of the Kukis. He was also eligible to play for PNG.

http://www.qrl.com.au/news/2017/05/03/munro_to_make_cook_i.html

Munro to make Cook Islands debut

The hard work has paid off for the Townsville and Districts Mendi Blackhawks front rower David Munro who has been selected to play for the Cook Islands in the Pacific Test International this Saturday.

This is the first time Munro has been selected to play for his birth country and ironically (through his mother), he is also eligible to play for Papua New Guinea – the team that he will be up against in the match.

When asked about the selection, 22-year-old Munro said he could not be happier.

“When I got the call from Woolfy (Townville coach Kristian Woolf), I couldn’t believe it,” Munro said.

“I got off the phone and phoned my Mum and Dad straight away, they were so happy also.

“It’s always something I have wanted to do, but didn’t think I would get the chance.

“It will be good knowing that my Nana and all my family in the Cook Islands will be watching.”

Woolf said he was happy for the former Cowboys NYC product, who has been playing consistently good football since joining the team.

“Dave has had a couple of years of really good footy in the Intrust Super Cup, and this is a really deserving reward for him,” Woolf said.

“He is a very tough individual who plays hard, is very physical, has lots of energy and is willing to put his body on the line every week.

“The whole week will be great for him, not only for his football but for his confidence.”

“It will be great for him to get the chance to experience a lot of cultural things that you don’t usually get the chance to be a part of.

“This is something that is very close to him, and he has expressed his desire to play for the Cook Islands, so I couldn’t be happier for him that he has this opportunity.”

Matua

Bench
The ones I know of that arent named are Joseph Manu, Zane Tetevano, Dylan Napa, Tepai Moeroa, Kenny Edwards, Brad Takairangi, Jordan Rapana, Valentine Holmes, Josh Papali'i, Sione Katoa, Dom Peyroux, Tinirau Arona, Zeb Taia, Anthony Gelling.
I was meaning the ones actually available to the Kukis not just every Cookie in the competition.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Was in Rarotonga last year, they love their rugby of both codes. Tiny population so to see them on the international stage at all is pretty impressive! The island bars will be going off today lol wish I was sinking a few in trader jacks!

Force

Juniors
I was meaning the ones actually available to the Kukis not just every Cookie in the competition.
Well then it would be the ones who were available to them that werent playing for another team.