What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Team 2017

skeepe

Immortal
I rate him as a club player his defensive improvements over the last few years have been massive. He just seems like the type of player who wouldn't be quick enough to play Origin or be able to thrive at that level, especially over a proven performer like Hayne. Only one way to find out though.

I just hate the idea that Hayne can go away for a few years, come back and then waltz straight into Origin despite showing nothing like the form that other players need to show just to get in the conversation.

If he hadn't been out of the game for a few years I'd understand it, but I really don't think Hayne has shown anything that deserves selection.

I just hate the idea that Hayne can go away for a few years, come back and then waltz straight into Origin despite showing nothing like the form that other players need to show just to get in the conversation.

If he hadn't been out of the game for a few years I'd understand it, but I really don't think Hayne has shown anything that deserves selection.
Yeah hes a flog but he was our best during the last 10 years and by a huge margin

MKCS

Juniors
Wouldn't pick him for game 1 but if Latrell Mitchell escapes injury and continues his salivating form (Today he managed 10 tackles, zero misses, 2 linebreaks, a try assist and a try) would anyone else consider him for a left wing spot?

At worst I'd like to see him be the 18th man this year and debut next year in Origin.

Wouldn't pick him for game 1 but if Latrell Mitchell escapes injury and continues his salivating form (Today he managed 10 tackles, zero misses, 2 linebreaks, a try assist and a try) would anyone else consider him for a left wing spot?

At worst I'd like to see him be the 18th man this year and debut next year in Origin.
I actually had him in my team a while back, tbh i wouldn't mind that entire Roosters left edge minus Pearce of course.

davi

Juniors
IF Paul Vaughan misses out on selection, as a Queenslander I needed a good laugh. Jarryd Hayne had to be chosen for NSW but there will be some who will be suggesting Dylan Walker is unlucky if not chosen. Nathan Peats selected will quiet some of the complaints of NSW not moving on from Robbie Farah. Wade Graham being selected on the bench might make some squirm considering his ability.

"Gold Coast hooker Nathan Peats has been called into NSW camp and is in line to make his Origin debut after Peter Wallace's dreams of a representative rendezvous were shattered in Newcastle on Sunday.

Fairfax Media understands Peats will fly into Sydney on Monday to link up with the rest of his NSW teammates, likely to be joined by either Jake Trbojevic or Jordan McLean as one of two debutants in the Blues team for game one.

It is also understood veteran Brett Morris has earned a recall to the Blues team at the expense of youngster Tom Trbojevic, whose knee and ankle injuries cost him his debut on the wing for NSW.

Penrith officials believe Wallace's chances of recovering from a groin injury in time for the opening game of the series at Suncorp Stadium on May 31 are slim – with Blues coach Laurie Daley opting to go with Peats over incumbent Robbie Farah.

Wallace was in a three-way battle for the NSW No. 9 position when he went down in the first half of Penrith's come-from-behind victory against the Knights, failing to return in a cruel blow to his aspirations of playing his first Origin match since the last of his four appearances for the Blues in 2009.

"He's got a groin problem at the moment so he just couldn't stretch out," Panthers coach Anthony Griffin said. "We'll have to get a scan. He did it in a funny way. He was on his back and someone fell on him. It stretched him out and he couldn't stretch out after that

"We're just going to have to get a scan and see what happens. Hopefully for him it's not too serious."

Daley finalised his team on Sunday night before the team gathering at The Star in Sydney on Monday morning.

Mitchell Pearce has won the No.7 jersey and will partner James Maloney in the halves for NSW.

Pearce, who scored the match-winning try against the Bulldogs on Sunday night, will get the nod ahead of incumbent Matt Moylan - who was unlucky to miss out on selection despite playing a leading hand in NSW's only victory of last year's series.

Jarryd Hayne will make his return to the Origin arena after a two-year absence while playing NFL and rugby sevens, selcted in the centres alongside St George Illawarra's Josh Dugan.

Despite a mediocre start to the year by his lofty standards, James Tedesco will retain the No.1 jersey while Blake Ferguson will also hold on to his wing position.

The backrow rotation will include Josh Jackson, Boyd Cordner, Tyson Frizell and Wade Graham.

The versatile Jack Bird was considered as an option to start in the centres however he will take his place on the bench.

It's expected McLean or Trbojevic will get the nod as part of a front row rotation that will include David Klemmer, Andrew Fifita and Aaron Woods, earning selection ahead of St George Illawarra's Paul Vaughan and Jack de Belin.

McLean, who played in Perth against South Sydney on Sunday night, isn't expected to arrive back in Melbourne until Monday morning.

The Cowboys-bound front rower will then fly straight to Sydney to link up with the Blues if he earns selection in the team for game one.

Australian forward Trent Merrin is expected to miss out on selection for the second straight year but remains hopeful teammate Wallace will be fit to take his place in the team.

"Wal's a tough bloke, mate," Merrin said. "Whatever it is, I know he'll do the right thing with his body to get himself right. I'd back him to play Origin this year. If he goes into rehab, work on what he did – that I'm not too sure – but he was calling for a groin strap.

"That's how tough he is – he wanted to keep going. I have full confidence that he'll do the right thing by his body and put himself in a good position for Origin."

LIKELY NSW TEAM FOR GAME ONE

1. James Tedesco
2. Blake Ferguson
3. Josh Dugan
4. Jarryd Hayne
5. Brett Morris
6. James Maloney
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. Aaron Woods
9. Nathan Peats
10. David Klemmer
11. Tyson Frizell
12. Boyd Cordner
13. Josh Jackson
14. Jack Bird
15. Wade Graham
16. Andrew Fifita
17. Jordan McLean/Jake Trbojevic

big hit!

Bench
Jackson is a stock standard NRL forward and total rep myth

granted, the nuffy reporter may have got Frizell and Jackson mixed up re position, as Frizell would have so much more impact and effectiveness in 20' bursts as an MF than Jackson would. To use Jackson, Daley would want to utilise his durability and the only way to do that is on the right-edge like he plays mostly for Canterbury.

But Frizell is also better than him as a right forward, and you can then improve the squad further by selecting Vaughan in the middle rotation

mxlegend99

Referee
Morris
Ferguson
Hayne at centre
Woods

Fk me.

At least Pearce is in good form, as useless as he has been for us in the past.
Id prefer Hayne at fullback. But he has a history of rising to the occasion for NSW. Opposite of Pearce in that regard.

Or even Hayne wing. Jennings centre. Bmoz watching from sidelines.

skeepe

Immortal
Haha. What a terrible team.

Two players with no match fitness.
A terribly out of form Hayne over some players in great touch.
Josh Jackson.
A broken Brett Morris.
No Vaughan, JTrbojevic, Paulo or Croker.

Worst NSW team in some time.

no name

Coach
People have spoken about Vaughn having an off field incident, I don't know what it is, (or really care) but was it bad enough to hang over him for Origin selection?

Latest posts