What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 11 vs Panthers @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 11: Knights v Panthers

• Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mozza91

Coach
Lamb and Feeney have certainly exceeded my expectations. Feeney playing direct makes us much more of threat and there was some really good link up work between both halves and our edge forwards.

Was talking to Lamb's old boy at the game and he was saying how much more comfortable he was playing on the left with Sione to link up with. It's certainly showing because his last 2 games have been his best in First Grade.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
I assumed it was because he's gone to Souths? We have Ponga there next year so it's not like it's about the future.

Yes I know but we also know his positioning at a 1 is atrocious a lot of the time. Elliott is a much better option.

Spot On

Coach
It makes sense. Start building a new edge combination between Wardle and Sio for beyond this year and have Gagai in a spot that doesn't disrupt that. If Wardle and Sio click as a pairing, then there's less stress to find someone to replace Gagai next year.

And Elliot is the far better option. I don't think Penrith score those two tries where Gagai failed to ground the ball if Elliot was in the 1.

100% they don't.

Glendale

Juniors
1. Elliot
2. Sio
3. Ross
4. Pete
5. Gagai

For the rest of the year? Wardle is going good there but don't think he's any sort of long term option. Doesn't have the attack needed. Solid backrower, fill-in centre, I reckon. Give Ross a go there he desperately wants it. Only problem is he and Pete have formed a good combination together on the left. Gagai can go back to centre but Browny wants to use the time left in the year to test out options for his replacement, so idk.

Spot On

Coach
Nail on the head Glendale. That's exactly where Gags should be. I'd leave him there for the rest of the season or till early release.

Edit - Apparently he won't be released. Not sure how I feel about that.

Could you imagine the outrage if he was dropped. Wholly f**k!

Bring it.

Last edited:

Knight76

Juniors
If Brown is looking to get Gagai out of the way he has his rolled gold excuse today with Gags game.

He was terrible. Either drop him or put him on the wing. Get him away from the ball.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Lol @ Gagai talking up in the pre game this week how he wants to focus on making finals with the Knights this year when asked about signing with Souths.

Then he comes up with today....

Sacrolishes

Juniors
First time I've seen Brown come out in Press Conference and state that two mistakes from refs were two reasons why we got disvantaged severely in game. Them being the strip that wasnt and the forward pass that wasn't. He usually skirts around the refs mistakes but not today. Was good to see as he knew (and so did we) that either one goes our way and we win the game 20-0 up. 20mins with out the ball in the NRL I don't think any team wins.

He's also very correct that we didn't have the personnel to pull us out of that rut which we all need to remember as someone said on here earlier "the team is punching above their weight". Credit to the boys for playing really strongly past couple weeks. Hopefully byes will keep them fresh for a strong finish to the year. Feel like we can scalp a few more teams yet. (If refs don't completely f**k us in the A hole)

Last edited:

Glendale

Juniors
The oldest player in our team today was 26. The most experienced forward, a 20 year old with 55 games. Only 1 player in the team with 100 games of NRL, and he was our worst player.

How many millions under the salary cap would the team that ran out today have been? We are most certainly punching well above our weight and the way so many of the young kids are progressing is great. An old head forward leader or two, some solid mid range signings, some class, this team will be great. Browny can clearly coach.

OldPanther

Coach
First time I've seen Brown come out in Press Conference and state that two mistakes from refs were two reasons why we got disvantaged severely in game. Them being the strip that wasnt and the forward pass that wasn't. He usually skirts around the refs mistakes but not today. Was good to see as he knew (and so did we) that either one goes our way and we win the game 20-0 up. 20mins with out the ball in the NRL I don't think any team wins.

He's also very correct that we didn't have the personnel to pull us out of that rut which we all need to remember as someone said on here earlier "the team is punching above their weight". Credit to the boys for playing really strongly past couple weeks. Hopefully byes will keep them fresh for a strong finish to the year. Feel like we can scalp a few more teams yet. (If refs don't completely f**k us in the A hole)

Against the Roosters and Broncos we got bad calls that changed the games and we got told to suck it up. You guys at times got 2 and 3 penalties in a row which would have been enough to close out the game. Your inexperience was the issue not the refs. I wish the knights lots of luck and it's good to see them improving.

TooheysNew

Coach
Against the Roosters and Broncos we got bad calls that changed the games and we got told to suck it up. You guys at times got 2 and 3 penalties in a row which would have been enough to close out the game. Your inexperience was the issue not the refs. I wish the knights lots of luck and it's good to see them improving.
If you think the refs weren't an issue you have one eye.

PhilGould

Bench
Levi threw the pass for Dan's try

Edit: actually just watched the replay and Jacob tipped it on to Daniel. Didn't notice that at all live at the game

Frederick

Staff member
Feeney with 2 try assists and 3 line-break assists yesterday. How many has Hodko had all year?
Feeney is really growing into the role. Plenty of enthusiasm, and forming a great combo with Lamb. His ball for Petes try at the end was a beauty (mainly because it cut out Gagai)

OldPanther

Coach
If you think the refs weren't an issue you have one eye.

There were maybe 2 dubious calls for the entire game. Newcastle had a stack of penalties back to back in the first half which should of seen them up by at least 30(I thought this would happen). In the second half at least 1 set had 2 or 3 in a row for Newcastle.

Their desicion making was poor. For example kicking it out. Our bigger forward pack got heaps of wrest in the first half which allowed for a stronger 2nd half. Little things more experience helps with but it's easier to blame 2 dodgy calls.

Frederick

Staff member
You scored a try passing off the ground. Unfortunately the refs will always make 2 or 3 mistakes, in fact 2 or 3 is probably good for the refs these days.
As mentioned above neither of feeneys arms hit the ground, so ball is still in play.

Although based on the roosters-dogs game you can pass even if the ball carrying arm hits the ground when you've got a defender wrapped around your legs (see Daniel tupous pass for one of the Roosters trys)