What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lebanon to use players from their own comp in World cup

adamkungl

Immortal
Excellent development, and to me is further proof that the RLIF don't need to make rules forcing nations to pick domestic players. Most will see it in their best interests long term without being forced.

taipan

Referee
Having domestic local players in RLWC teams, gives the Cup a far better air of authenticity ,in addition to blunt the continual attacks from other codes' knockers.

Pommy

Coach
5 domestics in a squad of 24 isn't exactly something to shout about.
Had it been 5 domestic in a starting team or 12 in the 24 maybe.
We could easily see Lebanon play their tournament only with Australians.

taipan

Referee
It's more than some will have. In fact it's five more than some teams will have.

Agree.Considering these countries have only become involved with rl ,in the past 1-2 decades.5 is a good start, Ideally down the line at least half the .
Compared to Scotland when next to zero were locals, and there was no effective rl comp in existence, yet they are part of the RLWC.That's why the code gets pumped by the knockers,such as the like of Bandana FitzSimons.
I never knock improvements.I will knock declines and going nowhere.Probably why Grant realised his time was up.

adamkungl

Immortal
5 domestics in a squad of 24 isn't exactly something to shout about.
Had it been 5 domestic in a starting team or 12 in the 24 maybe.
We could easily see Lebanon play their tournament only with Australians.

It's a start.

It's a group of players who will be fighting their hardest for the next 12 months to be in those 5.
It's a small competition in RL 'backwaters' who will be able to market the opportunity for their best players to go to the WC.
It's 5 players who will be training with a professional squad for a month and taking home what they've learned.

Golden point

Juniors
This is terrible news! Lebanon will be watered down with the addition of 5 players currently playing in a league that is about 23 levels below NRL!

what is wrong with you people?

adamkungl

Immortal
This is terrible news! Lebanon will be watered down with the addition of 5 players currently playing in a league that is about 23 levels below NRL!

Sorry how many international teams do you run again?

Instead of complaining about Lebanon being watered down by having Lebanese players, I'd suggest they're being more than sufficiently boosted by having Australian players.

And if they still have 19 of those they should be at full strength unless they have several injuries. They only need to win one game to progress. If the Lebanese people running the Lebanese team are happy to weaken it to include local players because of the benefits or ethics of such, good on them and who's to argue?

Pommy

Coach

Lebanon having Lebanese players what a novelty.

Golden point

Juniors
You guys wouldn't be from a country that has a professional competition would you? Why don't we include an even amount of players from each state? It would be sooo good for the game....each player would go back to their state and teach what they have learned...games gunna boom in tassie and Victoria.

Pommy

Coach
You guys wouldn't be from a country that has a professional competition would you? Why don't we include an even amount of players from each state? It would be sooo good for the game....each player would go back to their state and teach what they have learned...games gunna boom in tassie and Victoria.

What and having 14 teams of Poms, Kiwis and Ozzies is good for the sport?

Golden point

Juniors
What and having 14 teams of Poms, Kiwis and Ozzies is good for the sport?
Who are you to question their heritage? Are you saying a world Cup full of quality player's and contests is bad for the sport? Do you have to reside in a country to be considered a man of that country? Without heritage player's there would be no world cup. This is going to be the best world Cup thanks to the changes to eligibility allowing more heritage players and a better competition.

adamkungl

Immortal
Who are you to question their heritage? Are you saying a world Cup full of quality player's and contests is bad for the sport? Do you have to reside in a country to be considered a man of that country? Without heritage player's there would be no world cup. This is going to be the best world Cup thanks to the changes to eligibility allowing more heritage players and a better competition.

Maybe the Lebanese team thinks it's essential to their future success to start bringing through locals.
Who are you to criticise? You don't even run a national team.

Pommy

Coach

Oh I'm sorry I thought this was a message forum and discussion was allowed.
I'm not questioning anyones heritage, but if your born and raised in a nation then thats your nationality. Lets face it most of these players won't have Lebanese citizenship even if they are eligible. Im sure Chris McQueen doesn't have British citizenship. My kids will be getting green and gold not red and white.
It is good we can have a world cup but it would be better if we could get to a position where actual citizens play for their nation. I don't think its bad to have heritage players but it can only be better if the sport grows out of Australia and the north of England