What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lebanon to use players from their own comp in World cup

Golden point

Juniors
Maybe the Lebanese team thinks it's essential to their future success to start bringing through locals.
Who are you to criticise? You don't even run a national team.
Maybe the Lebanese team thinks it's essential to their future success to start bringing through locals.
Who are you to criticise? You don't even run a national team.
Yeah maybe the roosters could run 5 locals from bondi ? I probably need to be a national coach to see the flaw in that plan i spose.

hutch

First Grade
Who are you to question their heritage? Are you saying a world Cup full of quality player's and contests is bad for the sport? Do you have to reside in a country to be considered a man of that country? Without heritage player's there would be no world cup. This is going to be the best world Cup thanks to the changes to eligibility allowing more heritage players and a better competition.
And who are you to criticise the Lebanese rugby league in their decision to include players from Lebanon in their squad! Do you know how much more press this is going to receive in Lebanon itself? They are thinking long term, growing rugby league in Lebanon itself. That is the ultimate goal here. They aren't going to win the World Cup, they will still field 16 or 17 heritage players on game day, but they will give local players the trio of a lifetime and give Lebanese rugby league players something to aim for. This is already one of the best things to come out of a World Cup that hasn't even been played yet!

Golden point

Juniors
None of your analogies make sense.
And who are you to criticise the Lebanese rugby league in their decision to include players from Lebanon in their squad! Do you know how much more press this is going to receive in Lebanon itself? They are thinking long term, growing rugby league in Lebanon itself. That is the ultimate goal here. They aren't going to win the World Cup, they will still field 16 or 17 heritage players on game day, but they will give local players the trio of a lifetime and give Lebanese rugby league players something to aim for. This is already one of the best things to come out of a World Cup that hasn't even been played yet!
Are you in Lebanon?

Golden point

Juniors
Oh I'm sorry I thought this was a message forum and discussion was allowed.
I'm not questioning anyones heritage, but if your born and raised in a nation then thats your nationality. Lets face it most of these players won't have Lebanese citizenship even if they are eligible. Im sure Chris McQueen doesn't have British citizenship. My kids will be getting green and gold not red and white.
It is good we can have a world cup but it would be better if we could get to a position where actual citizens play for their nation. I don't think its bad to have heritage players but it can only be better if the sport grows out of Australia and the north of England
Hey if your kids want to play for Lebanon that's great.

taipan

Referee
Seriously why are we debating with this guy.Ask the people who are behind rl in these countries,and ask them the effect of a couple of players from that country being involved, as to what it may do for publicity and encouragement of new recruits.
The very reason Scotland has finally got the message they must have a local viable comp,nad not rely completely on heritage players.
Are we out to grow the game or just remain rivetted on this big brown land.

Golden point

Juniors
Seriously why are we debating with this guy.Ask the people who are behind rl in these countries,and ask them the effect of a couple of players from that country being involved, as to what it may do for publicity and encouragement of new recruits.
The very reason Scotland has finally got the message they must have a local viable comp,nad not rely completely on heritage players.
Are we out to grow the game or just remain rivetted on this big brown land.
If our players are crap they end up in SL and the players that SL think are crap end up in league 1 or whatever or French RL or union or so on... so if these guys aren't able to make any of these teams you can bet they are very crap. If they wanted people who are of the country to play in the comp they should have planned this a long time ago and sent some of their best to play a season in a decent comp like the US did by sending a couple of guys to play in the Q cup for ipswich I think among others ( they weren't up to scratch btw) . These guys are going to get smashed if they have to play! Sending a couple of guys back embarrassed and humiliated with some broken bones isn't a good advertisement for the game.

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
If our players are crap they end up in SL and the players that SL think are crap end up in league 1 or wh

What's that got to do with a handle of home grown Lebanese players living, breathing and born in Lebanon,actually being part of their RLWC team.My view is they will get plenty of publicity in that country by doing so.Just like any Fijian players does when he makes the NRL.
If they are Australian born and are crap,well they can play in Tier 21,AFAIC.The more genuine overseas players in a world cup, the better.And as time goes by, it will happen.

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
I'm not the guru on International RL but I do know that there is a lot of work involved in establishing RL in areas that have been involved in massive upheavals ie war against state or other countries.
The fact there is an established competition in the Middle East that is reaching out to other war torn countries should be applauded not ridiculed, there is a better chance for world peace for Middle Eastern counties playing Rugby League than playing any other code, ie Sharron Ball.
Most Heritage playing RL Nations hardly contain the home grown player so why is the Hate here?.

Dakink

Bench
Wouldn't surprise me if Golden Point is a troll account for someone like Weiners.

Golden point

Juniors
I'm not the guru on International RL but I do know that there is a lot of work involved in establishing RL in areas that have been involved in massive upheavals ie war against state or other countries.
The fact there is an established competition in the Middle East that is reaching out to other war torn countries should be applauded not ridiculed, there is a better chance for world peace for Middle Eastern counties playing Rugby League than playing any other code, ie Sharron Ball.
Most Heritage playing RL Nations hardly contain the home grown player so why is the Hate here?.
Where is the hate
Wouldn't surprise me if Golden Point is a troll account for someone like Weiners.
Yeah anyone who has a different opinion must be a troll.

langpark

First Grade
Excellent development, and to me is further proof that the RLIF don't need to make rules forcing nations to pick domestic players. Most will see it in their best interests long term without being forced.
I once thought that and in a perfect world that would be the case. But I think there are many nations that prove they have zero concern for that sort of thing unfortunately: Cook islands, Tonga, Samoa, Scotland just to name a few.

PS: Bravo Lebanon!! (if indeed they follow through with this, I seem to remember nations stating this in the past yet not coming good on their promise)

adamkungl

Immortal
I once thought that and in a perfect world that would be the case. But I think there are many nations that prove they have zero concern for that sort of thing unfortunately: Cook islands, Tonga, Samoa, Scotland just to name a few.

Will only effect them negatively in the long run.
Teams with legitimate home grown players have a player pool that isn't reliant on the whims of NRL clubs or the trends of immigration (i'm talking years or decades down the track).
These teams will be able to pull on international sponsorships and coverage rather than relying on Sydney.

Teams like this are no hope of winning the WC - getting to the quarters is the main goal on field. Off field there's a lot more at stake for them than the difference between winning 1 or 2 games.

roughyedspud

Coach
The RLIF should actually enforce a domestic player rule though cos it forces the NGBs to invest in a proper domestic setup and provides a development pathway for "domestic" players....it's all forms a integrated development strategy.

When we used the domestic player rules in 2006,2007 a few Welsh,Scots & Irish lads actually got signed by pro & semi pro clubs in England,Tonga played a couple of domestics in the 2007 RLWCQ comp held here in England,you would never have guessed they came from the Tongan comp,the winger played really well from memory..that's why it never made sense to me that it was Tonga that killed the rule for the 2008 RLWC..

Last edited:

Golden point

Juniors
The RLIF should actually enforce a domestic player rule though cos it forces the NGBs to invest in a proper domestic setup and provides a development pathway for "domestic" players....it's all forms a integrated development strategy.

When we used the domestic player rules in 2006,2007 a few Welsh,Scots & Irish lads actually got signed by pro & semi pro clubs in England,Tonga played a couple of domestics in the 2007 RLWCQ comp held here in England,you would never have guessed they came from the Tongan comp,the winger played really well from memory..that's why it never made sense to me that it was Tongan that killed the rule for the 2008 RLWC..
Omg

Latest posts