What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

And now are you glad we have signed Ben Hunt ?

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Of course Millward says the figures are inflated, I forgot he signed with us cos Mary rode a jet ski...

Like I said, when you look across the league at how much other players in Hunt's position are earning we definitely paid overs no matter how you choose to spin it.

A lot of people on this forum will change their tune very quickly when Hunt comes.
Me thinks it will be bring the noise who changes his opinion.and how the hell do you know the future .crystal ball maybe

mickeylane

Bench
Lol, you can't really answer that..

In the past 4 years he has been instrumental in every side he's played in, one of those guys who has gotten better as he's gotten older, I would say the Sharks got an absolute bargain. If he was shopped around now, he'd easily be among the million dollar category, especially if Ben Hunt is.
Maloney will sign w Souths for around $900k a season - watch this space - Crowe and Packer won't miss their man - he will leave Sharks this year w 12 months remaining

BringTheNoise

Juniors
And we are hopeful you are humble enough to admit it... ;)

I will gladly eat humble pie if I turn out to be wrong. Do you actually think that I want to be right about this, like I'm looking forward to 6 years of our recruitment and retention being even more f***ed than it already is? Unfortunately there's no indication that I will be wrong.

The Damo

Juniors
Lol, you can't really answer that..

In the past 4 years he has been instrumental in every side he's played in, one of those guys who has gotten better as he's gotten older, I would say the Sharks got an absolute bargain. If he was shopped around now, he'd easily be among the million dollar category, especially if Ben Hunt is.
That's exactly my point. Saying he's gonna be earning more than Maloney when Maloney signed years ago is meaningless. If Maloney was 27 and on the market he'd get those dollars and more. For a top halfback this is the new normal. In another 3 years hunt will be 30, I think likely a top echelon halfback, and people will be saying about others what BTN is saying about Maloney now.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
That's exactly my point. Saying he's gonna be earning more than Maloney when Maloney signed years ago is meaningless. If Maloney was 27 and on the market he'd get those dollars and more. For a top halfback this is the new normal. In another 3 years hunt will be 30, I think likely a top echelon halfback, and people will be saying about others what BTN is saying about Maloney now.

Actually it's not meaningless. It's an indication of market value and how far we are operating outside of that. If you can't understand basic economics then please don't embarrass yourself by making irrelevant comments.

BrissyRedV

Bench
I will gladly eat humble pie if I turn out to be wrong. Do you actually think that I want to be right about this, like I'm looking forward to 6 years of our recruitment and retention being even more f***ed than it already is? Unfortunately there's no indication that I will be wrong.
I actually think there is plenty of evidence to the contrary but we have been through this. :)

MilanDragon

Juniors
Actually it's not meaningless. It's an indication of market value and how far we are operating outside of that. If you can't understand basic economics then please don't embarrass yourself by making irrelevant comments.

It's not meaningless but must be looked at in perspective.

Maloney signed a contract 3-4 years ago on what was very good halfback money back then. However in the current market he is on the low end of the market and that's why he is coming out saying he wants more money.

It's not a fair comparison given the nature of the current market.

It's like comparing the price your neighbour paid for their house if they bought it 10 years ago and you bought it now, just because you paid 400k extra doesn't mean you paid too much - it could just be what the current market value is vs what it was 10 years ago.

That's basic economics so don't embarrass yourself

getsmarty

Immortal
So because Millward said it I just have to believe him? Even if he speaks the truth he hasn't even suggested by how much it was inflated. The media could be a mere $50k off the mark and that would still be considered "inflated". It's widely acknowledged that Hunt's salary will be in the vicinity of $1 million a season. I haven't heard a single source refute the claim other than Millward (who I have zero faith in at this point). The fact that Brisbane with their TPA power couldn't match our offer speaks volumes.

My alternative is a recruitment team that is effective and efficient. We've paid overs for Hunt simply because we couldn't land an alternative. Have a look at the list of players who knocked us back before we decided to make Hunt a millionaire. We are literally paying twice as much for Hunt than what Cronulla are paying for Maloney. How is that value for money?

To suggest it's a good signing simply because he's an upgrade from McCrone is such a naive, short sighted and poor argument. He has rep honours? He played a few tests as a utility over 3 years ago FFS.... Benji had "rep honours" too... That's like offering Will Chambers a million a season and saying it's a good signing because he's an upgrade on Aitken....

Like I said, well done to Hunt's management. They've done an excellent job.

There are other sources apart from Millward in regards to Hunts price.We didn't pay Hunt a million a season. Solid sources on here and I have also heard it from a contact who deals with player managers. If you want to dispute this you are entitled to believe whatever you want based on paper talk which is many times inaccurate.. In regards to Maloney, he is many years older than Hunt ( turning 31 on the 15th June and Hunt is 27) and in fact wants close to the figure we paid for Hunt. not half the price of Hunt. Maloney is at the end of his career and is looking for an upgraded contract. Great player but we would be picking him up at the end of his career..( If the figure Mickey Quoted in regards to Maloney to Souths is correct,and I have no reason to doubt him then we did very well with Hunt. )

Anyway, this is a forum and people are entitled to hold their own opinions. I like the signing of Hunt and you don't. Again...lets agree to disagree and move on. The Deal is done and why criticize the player before he even arrives at our club and has a chance to show his wares?

Last edited:

The Damo

Juniors
Thanks for the economics tip. You should write a textbook expanding on your theory "Market value is static over time". Forget Adam Smith, move over Keynes, Friedman, Marx, Nash... bunch of amateurs who should be ashamed of themselves. I will join them in embarrassment now.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
There are other sources apart from Millward in regards to Hunts price.We didn't pay Hunt a million a season. Solid sources on here and I have also heard it from a contact who deals with player managers. If you want to dispute this you are entitled to believe whatever you want based on paper talk which is many times inaccurate.. In regards to Maloney, he is many years older than Hunt ( turning 31 on the 15th June and Hunt is 27) and in fact wants close to the figure we paid for Hunt. not half the price of Hunt. Maloney is at the end of his career and is looking for an upgraded contract. Great player but we would be picking him up at the end of his career..( If the figure Mickey Quoted in regards to Maloney to Souths is correct,and I have no reason to doubt him then we did very well with Hunt. )

Anyway, this is a forum and people are entitled to hold their own opinions. I like the signing of Hunt and you don't. Again...lets agree to disagree and move on. The Deal is done and why criticize the player before he even arrives at our club and has a chance to show his wares?

It's not meaningless but must be looked at in perspective.

Maloney signed a contract 3-4 years ago on what was very good halfback money back then. However in the current market he is on the low end of the market and that's why he is coming out saying he wants more money.

It's not a fair comparison given the nature of the current market.

It's like comparing the price your neighbour paid for their house if they bought it 10 years ago and you bought it now, just because you paid 400k extra doesn't mean you paid too much - it could just be what the current market value is vs what it was 10 years ago.

That's basic economics so don't embarrass yourself

First of all, Maloney started at Cronulla in 2016 when the salary cap was $6.8 million, it has only increased by $200k in 2017 so this idea that the market was drastically different when Cronulla signed him is absurd. MilanDragon your house prices 10 years ago comparison doesn't even equate, but thanks for making an effort.

Second of all, Maloney seeking an increased contract (along with many other NRL players) is directly attributed to the ridiculous money we have signed Hunt on. Players like Maloney are looking at the situation and saying to their managers if Hunt is worth that much then I am worth at least that and more.

Maloney has taken 3 clubs to Grand Finals, won 2 Premierships, is an incumbent SOO rep, was in the 2016 Four Nations squad and 19th man in the 2017 ANZAC test. On any given day he is worth more than Hunt on the open market. If anyone can sit up straight in church and dispute that then they are as good as Hunt's manager himself.

Which brings me back to my original point. The fact that Cronulla could sign a player of Maloney's calibre (even way back in the olden days of 2016) for literally half of what we signed Hunt for shows that their recruitment team is far more effective than hours. I guess that's why they're the Premiers and we're the paupers.

God bless all of you who truly believe Millward and Mary's jet ski are assembling a Premiership winning squad.

Dragsters

First Grade
We are doing ok so far this season with an absolute liability for number 7.

Hunt is a vast improvement.

Dare to dream?

blaza88z

Coach
Milford hurt himself tonight which will see Hunt return after the bye, although Milf is sitting in the shed without a sling, maybe not as bad as first though

Benji was good for us tonight, iced the game when Hunt so many times has kicked it dead

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
BTN.....do you have a thing about jet skis and Ben Hunt.....everyone is entitled to their opinion on here.....but do you have to keep telling us that weve paid overs for Hunt when hes not even in our colours yet........as I said its your opinion but do you have to go to such lengths to force yours on others.....

BTN.....do you have a thing about jet skis and Ben Hunt.....everyone is entitled to their opinion on here.....but do you have to keep telling us that weve paid overs for Hunt when hes not even in our colours yet........as I said its your opinion but do you have to go to such lengths to force yours on others.....
Maybe he wants a jetski himself and is jealous he isn't able to buy one.

Minh

First Grade
Wayne Bennett has just become bitter....he knows he lost the better half between Milf and Hunt, one game back from injury and he's made Hunt a scapegoat. I'm upset that Milf is injured tonight as I would have loved to have seen Ben Hunt never play for Bennett again and I'm sure the Broncs are a far lesser chance at the title minus Ben Hunt.....

The Damo

Juniors
First of all, Maloney started at Cronulla in 2016 when the salary cap was $6.8 million, it has only increased by $200k in 2017 so this idea that the market was drastically different when Cronulla signed him is absurd. MilanDragon your house prices 10 years ago comparison doesn't even equate, but thanks for making an effort.

Second of all, Maloney seeking an increased contract (along with many other NRL players) is directly attributed to the ridiculous money we have signed Hunt on. Players like Maloney are looking at the situation and saying to their managers if Hunt is worth that much then I am worth at least that and more.

Maloney has taken 3 clubs to Grand Finals, won 2 Premierships, is an incumbent SOO rep, was in the 2016 Four Nations squad and 19th man in the 2017 ANZAC test. On any given day he is worth more than Hunt on the open market. If anyone can sit up straight in church and dispute that then they are as good as Hunt's manager himself.

Which brings me back to my original point. The fact that Cronulla could sign a player of Maloney's calibre (even way back in the olden days of 2016) for literally half of what we signed Hunt for shows that their recruitment team is far more effective than hours. I guess that's why they're the Premiers and we're the paupers.

God bless all of you who truly believe Millward and Mary's jet ski are assembling a Premiership winning squad.
No one is actually arguing that Hunt would be worth more than Maloney if they were on the open market right now. Or that the sharks didn't do great recruiting him when they did. That's why I asked what you thought he'd be worth if he was 4 years younger and on the market. Would it be under or over a million?
The salary cap is going up drastically from 6.8 mill next year. Which is When we've actually signed Hunt, pretty sure we're not paying him this year. And it will go up again 2-3 times in the 5 years after that. These are things you seem to be ignoring.

Latest posts