What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Overreaction Cycle

1st & 10

Juniors
fyi I have never liked Mary as a coach the guy reeks of bullshit and smugness.

He either can see the faults and refuses to correct them or he is to dumb to notice and thinks a no one else will.

Coast Dragon shoots and scores.

Spot on. Great comment mate

Maxwell

Juniors
I'm going to cop a lot of flack for this post but I feel like it's necessary.

Some of you people are so f**king short-sighted it's ridiculous. Yes the team was abysmal today, they lost a game that they were probably expected to win. i'm angry, we're all angry, but i'm sick of seeing this ridiculous overreacting after almost every single loss.

So many people were happy to see the re-signing of Mary (granted, some weren't). Everyone wanted to keep Milne, to re-sign Mann and were right behind the team as they were charging through the competition and holding down a top 4 spot. Many believed that we were a genuine shot at the title this year.
Now, after a loss, as it happens every time, suddenly the Mary extension was a bad decision, losing Milne to another club was the right decision, we are now pretenders with no chance of winning the comp and this is apparently the start of our big slide out of the top 8.

f**king grow up, seriously. This is basically the equivalent of stamping your feet like a child after not getting something that you want.
Now I understand this isn't all of you, and maybe you need some time to calm down and come at this with a fresh perspective, but i've seen enough this year to know that this team has what it takes to be challenging in September. We had an off day against a team who rallied for each other and showed up to win (remember, they beat the Broncos after losing badly to Manly).

Let's just relax before you write the season off after one loss.
ITRVR A lot of what you said is right, people have short memories. We should be looking at why we lost. , I don't think we were prepared for what dogs were going to throw at us , throw in probably they had 85% of the ball for 1st 25 mins hammering our line. Mr Ref never helped we were sinning, but dogs were wearing halo's . And the decision when Duges scored , the buzzer went off as Dugan w as running to score, ball was in and out of the scrum, that makes it 12/8 , why not go to binker ask where was the play up to when buzzer went off. People are saying now get rid of Lafia, Nene, Dugan etc , jeez their hard on them. I would like to see a change at halfback , maybe Mann 5/8 and widdop1/2 or promote field .

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
ITRVR A lot of what you said is right, people have short memories. We should be looking at why we lost. , I don't think we were prepared for what dogs were going to throw at us , throw in probably they had 85% of the ball for 1st 25 mins hammering our line. Mr Ref never helped we were sinning, but dogs were wearing halo's . And the decision when Duges scored , the buzzer went off as Dugan w as running to score, ball was in and out of the scrum, that makes it 12/8 , why not go to binker ask where was the play up to when buzzer went off. People are saying now get rid of Lafia, Nene, Dugan etc , jeez their hard on them. I would like to see a change at halfback , maybe Mann 5/8 and widdop1/2 or promote field .

Mate...we should have been prepared for what the dogs threw at us. they defended well in that first half. What the hell happened in that second half? Couldn't get a repeat set. Trying to push impossible passes. Shirt grabbing instead of tackling. Just really disappointed to lose against the one team I absolutely hate with a passion.

St Georgio

Juniors
Congratulation to Paul McGregor for securing an extension, but believe you me we will not win a comp whilst he is there. We are total pretenders for the next 2 years, we need to chase a coach who's end result is winning cough cough Craig Bellamy!

Dragon for life

Juniors
The game against Tigers was a shot across the bow.But in saying that the try's the Bulldogs scored were a one on one miss by Sele.Taane Miine retreating from marker making the hole for Lichia and that shamozzle down Nightys side.The big problem was our attack.Just not enough of that second phase play.I am a bit down on Mary for the bench rotation .Pulling Mann off to leave Milne on after Dugan came back on.Then giving Mann 4 minutes at the end.Oh well front up next week and see what happens.I think on today's effort back to the drawing board.I just think we are higher up on the ladder then we should be.In saying that thou I really had a bad feeling about this game today and well it was right.
The game against Tigers was a shot across the bow.But in saying that the try's the Bulldogs scored were a one on one miss by Sele.Taane Miine retreating from marker making the hole for Lichia and that shamozzle down Nightys side.The big problem was our attack.Just not enough of that second phase play.I am a bit down on Mary for the bench rotation .Pulling Mann off to leave Milne on after Dugan came back on.Then giving Mann 4 minutes at the end.Oh well front up next week and see what happens.I think on today's effort back to the drawing board.I just think we are higher up on the ladder then we should be.In saying that thou I really had a bad feeling about this game today and well it was right.
I also had a bad feeling about this game. Teams usually win when put under the pressure that the dogs had gone through this week. I guess that i'm most pissed off that the Bulldogs were awful and we couldn't even score a try verses them. Need to get back to the power game that we had been playing earlier in the season. In saying that the forwards look tired, i hope they can get a second wind to make a run to the finals.

Crush

Coach
Congratulation to Paul McGregor for securing an extension, but believe you me we will not win a comp whilst he is there. We are total pretenders for the next 2 years, we need to chase a coach who's end result is winning cough cough Craig Bellamy!
Ahh well, if we dont win a comp in the next two years we will be in the same position as 14 or 15 of the other 16 teams in the nrl. Hopefully they at least play attractive entertaining footy and win more games than they lose for us fans to enjoy during the season ....

lol Bellamy leaving the storm yeah and the skin will fall and kill us all.

St Georgio

Juniors
Ahh well, if we dont win a comp in the next two years we will be in the same position as 14 or 15 of the other 16 teams in the nrl. Hopefully they at least play attractive entertaining footy and win more games than they lose for us fans to enjoy during the season ....
Pffff boring who gives a f**k, hey there bogan

Life's Good

Coach
The general consensus was that the Dogs were going to come out with a nothing to lose attitude. For the life of me I am at a loss as to how we were not prepared for that. It reeks of complacency and sheer stupidity to just expect the Dogs to be easily rolled after all they have copped in the media the last few weeks.
Dropped balls, bombed tries etc I can handle but the sh*t dished up today has a very bad smell about it.

This Year?

Immortal
I think it's completely justified. 3rd just lost to 14th and we didn't even score a try, We are now out of the top 4 and will likely lose against the Eels (remember the touch up we got in round 2). This shortly after our "coach" and "form 5/8th" just got new contracts the rot has set back in.

Whether the slide can be rescued or not remains to be seen.

Bench
Have to say I agree with everything everybody said in this thread. We all have opinions and that should be accepted.
I was pissed at the game today, thought we had a good first half, but we were outplayed, that happens.
But now it's over and looking forward to the next game.

Old Timer

Coach
The question is do you really really want to win the comp or are you happy to win your fare share of games and to do it attractively
Your good self and a few others like to jump on people as being non supportive when they call for change
The difference is that some people really really want to win the comp and believe that at different times hard decisions need to be made to achieve that
We have not been very good in the last 3 games albeit we conjured 2 wins but by any means they were not comprehensive
With what we are currently doing we will win some more games but if you are honest probably will not threaten to win the comp
Your post seems to indicate you are resolved to not winning the comp but a few wins will placard you
There are some that say we should give ourselves every chance to not only win the comp this year but have sound knowledge as to how we should progress
next year
The only way you will know is to make hard decisions and change things
Can you tell me what hard and decisive decisions Mary had really made?
Do you think it is time for him to make some?

SaintPauli

Juniors
Really disappointing today. We threw a great opportunity to make a stamp in the top 4 today. We fluffed it. Now we have our second Bogan team Parra coming up. If we cannot turn it around with Parra we ARE NO BETTER THAN LAST YEAR! Here's to you dragons team.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I don't believe it's an overreaction more a reality check. Ever since the bye, the teams performance has dropped in what could be seen as a combination of complacency & burn out from the power game.
Along with a Halfback that provides a woeful last option kicking game, our team will struggle to match the real contenders. The team is better than last year, but we have plenty of shortcomings that will be exposed with a coach that doesn't seem to address our weakness.

I'm going to cop a lot of flack for this post but I feel like it's necessary.

Some of you people are so f**king short-sighted it's ridiculous. Yes the team was abysmal today, they lost a game that they were probably expected to win. i'm angry, we're all angry, but i'm sick of seeing this ridiculous overreacting after almost every single loss.

So many people were happy to see the re-signing of Mary (granted, some weren't). Everyone wanted to keep Milne, to re-sign Mann and were right behind the team as they were charging through the competition and holding down a top 4 spot. Many believed that we were a genuine shot at the title this year.
Now, after a loss, as it happens every time, suddenly the Mary extension was a bad decision, losing Milne to another club was the right decision, we are now pretenders with no chance of winning the comp and this is apparently the start of our big slide out of the top 8.

f**king grow up, seriously. This is basically the equivalent of stamping your feet like a child after not getting something that you want.
Now I understand this isn't all of you, and maybe you need some time to calm down and come at this with a fresh perspective, but i've seen enough this year to know that this team has what it takes to be challenging in September. We had an off day against a team who rallied for each other and showed up to win (remember, they beat the Broncos after losing badly to Manly).

Let's just relax before you write the season off after one loss.
I know you mean well but First Grade NRL is a professional sport.
At the end of the day, it is performance and results driven.
That is why people are so passionate.
I think your post is full of generalizations and that is why plenty on this forum will not agree with you.
I would just like to make 2 points in reference to your post.
1. It is not Mary's extension that was a bad decision - it was appointing Mary in the first place that was diabolical and we have lost many games because of inadequate/inexperienced coaching since.
2. Instead of the "off day" argument, look at our recent results. We have won 2 games out of the last 6.
So it's not just about the Canterbury game and no one is "writing the season off after one loss".

Crush

Coach
The question is do you really really want to win the comp or are you happy to win your fare share of games and to do it attractively
Your good self and a few others like to jump on people as being non supportive when they call for change
The difference is that some people really really want to win the comp and believe that at different times hard decisions need to be made to achieve that
We have not been very good in the last 3 games albeit we conjured 2 wins but by any means they were not comprehensive
With what we are currently doing we will win some more games but if you are honest probably will not threaten to win the comp
Your post seems to indicate you are resolved to not winning the comp but a few wins will placard you
There are some that say we should give ourselves every chance to not only win the comp this year but have sound knowledge as to how we should progress
next year
The only way you will know is to make hard decisions and change things
Can you tell me what hard and decisive decisions Mary had really made?
Do you think it is time for him to make some?
Nearly. Its nearly time for him to make some changes.
I think now that Mary has job security he can look towards the future a little more and start to tweak things. I wouldn't suggest big changes to the side but it might be time to start to introduce dufty at the back and see how he goes for example.
After yesterday I am resigned to the fact that Dragons aren't in the same league as the top 4 teams. I mean just compare their rosters.
They have been valiant thus far and over-performed but at the business end of the season they won't beat Roosters, Sharks, Storm, etc etc.
I understand frustration at the dragons losing a game of footy but the way some people carry on is ridiculous wouldn't you say?
Calling for sweeping changes and blaming the coach for everything is craziness. Its the coaches fault that McCrone is playing, Mann is in the centres, Dugan isn't in the centres, Nightingale is too old.
Then IF they were to drop nightingale, promote field to half, dufty to fullback, and the Dragons got lapped for a few weeks it would be the coaches fault again. Do you think that the fans would say 'ahh well, we were never going to challenge for the title so good on Mary for trying something different'?
Let's hope that we improve our ball handling skills, stop trying to do flick-passes all the time, stop kicking the ball dead for 7 tackle sets, start to try to ho forward and break the line before offloading and if the players cannot do these things then it will be time to make some changes to those that constantly make the same errors.

What a load of condescending baloney!
Fans enjoy their football when their Team win games, play finals football and have a full blooded tilt at winning the Premiership.
Why are you satisfied with mediocrity?

Latest posts