What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 17 v Panthers

DiegoNT

First Grade
Surely this game is an obvious sign of why cook hasn't been coming on earlier. We've lost our way in the last 20 minutes.

The best thing for me with that last try before halftime. on the last replay they showed on FOX they rolled it in slow motion from just before the last bounce before AJ picked it up until after he caught it. You could see the faces of 8-10 Souths players in the background, there was genuine concern on the faces of every one of them before AJ caught the ball. Afterwards it was unbridled joy, and we celebrated it like we did in 2012-2014.

My biggest concern for the last couple of years has been that sometimes it has appeared that not ALL the players care as much about the result as our captain. The Whole teams concern that AJ got a half decent bounce and then the response after he caught it says to me that the boys are back playing for each other.

If we repeat that effort for 80 mins each week, I believe we WILL make the finals. If we enter the finals on the back of 8 or more wins out of our last 11, who knows what can happen? Maybe GI might even be ready to go by the middle/end of September, if we're still playing.

The other two massive plusses for me today were AR rediscovering his kicking game, and discovering his running game. He is KEY for us, I believe more than anyone. Plus I got on us for $3.75 at 8-0 down. Yee Haa. It's been a great Sunday.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Of all the take aways from this game, that's the one you go with? How ridiculous.
Surely you saw how we lost structure and momentum when farah was replaced with cook.

It's ok that we had already wrapped this game up, but if it was a game in the balance then it's a worry.

callmack1

Staff member
How good was that lads?!! Finally an awesome game. We were solid but shaky at times to start off with but we fixed that and the rest was brilliant.

Boy, it's good to see some ad-lib football!! We actually looked real good and scored some brilliant tries. Great attacking game today.

Defence was very pleasing too. Yes, they got that try at the end but we turned them away on many occasions. Big effort.

Good aggression shown throughout the whole game which was good to see.

Walker: Really good. Probed all night and looked really dangerous. Had a hand in some great tries and line breaks. He also defused a lot of Penrith's attacking kicks.

Johnston: Wow! Five tries! How good was that! An awesome game, he really put on a show. Scored some tries through pure speed and he's a great finisher. It's a shame he couldn't get six, it was a scintillating game from him!

Goodwin: Solid. Did his job to perfection. Some good runs with his late footwork and did a lot of the dirty work as always.

Gray: As above. Provided some good aggression out wide.

Burns: Very good. He has been improving since he came back and we was good today. Out jumped on of the best wingers in the game for his try and he was really ruthless in both attack and defence.

Sutton: Didn't do a hell of a lot of the play making but that's good. His strength is his running game and that's what he focused on. Did a good job at straightening our attack. A good job from Sutto.

Reynolds: Awesome! His kicking was a bit off early on but boy did he rise in the rest of the game. The pin point kicking returned and he was back to his best. It was great that he took the line on. Even when kicking, he'd get over the advantage line before he kicked. Great game, his best for a while.

T.Burgess: Was good. Much improved. Ran hard and made plenty of metres which is a welcoming sign. Made minimal errors too.

Farah: Was also good. Got the boys going in attack and looked crafty in attack. His service was a little slow to start but other than that he was great. Did heaps of defensive work too.

Tyrrell: Did his job. He tackled so well, did a lot of work in this area. I'd like to see him run more but perhaps that wasn't his role. In saying that, the runs he did have were good. Seemed to make more post-contact metres than usual. Did you guys see the way everyone came up and congratulated him after the game? Because of that, I can't help but feel this was his farewell game. But who knows as he went well.

Fuimaono: Was good. He's so powerful! His ability to get his legs pumping after contact is awesome. Was powerful defensively too.

Crichton: Was also good. Not as spectacular as the last game but still great. Great running as we have come to expect from him. He's a weapon.

S.Burgess: Inspirational. He was great. It sounds weird to say but his sin binning really lifted us (I know it's the rules but he really shouldn't have been sent off). He was huge. His runs were devastating and he had a hand in some great tries, especially that one where he put Cody into space. Got one of his own too! I loved it.

Cook: Solid. He caught the markers out many times and got us rolling well. Set up AJ's fifth try with great awareness. I still think we look better with Farah however.

Clark: I thought he was really good and actually made an impact. Like Tyrrell, he seemed to make better post-contact metres and he kept that middle tight.

Musgrove: Also had a big impact. Ran very hard and did plenty of work. No way would I want to tackle him haha.

G.Burgess: Finally, finally a good game from George. Great game in fact. His runs looked back to his best, bumping off defenders and was very hard to stop. He was focussed and made no errors.

Overall I'm soooo happy with that game. The style of footy we played today must be our style going forward and it just goes to show how good we can be.

Our starts still need a bit of work but all round it was great. Play like that more and we will cause some teams trouble.

Curns13

Juniors
Surely you saw how we lost structure and momentum when farah was replaced with cook.

It's ok that we had already wrapped this game up, but if it was a game in the balance then it's a worry.
I wouldn't have Cook in the team either. Since Farah took over last time he's taken his chances and played well. But how can you attribute a slight drop off in play when you are winning by 30 points to one player? When winning big, teams clock off, lose hunger, stop doing the one percenters and start to chance their arm. That last 20 minutes does nothing to prove any argument against Cook.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I wouldn't have Cook in the team either. Since Farah took over last time he's taken his chances and played well. But how can you attribute a slight drop off in play when you are winning by 30 points to one player? When winning big, teams clock off, lose hunger, stop doing the one percenters and start to chance their arm. That last 20 minutes does nothing to prove any argument against Cook.
Because it's a recurring them with cook. Everything becomes disjointed, the halves stop getting clean ball when they want it, forwards stop getting a roll on. It was surely most evident today. In my opinion anyway.

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
oi r20....one great game dont make up for being on 11th position today .......p.s. dont get ahead of yourselves dont knowers otherwise you may get disappointed:rolleyes:.! I am under no illusion by todays game....Shadow...

themacemaceman

Juniors
oi r20....one great game dont make up for being on 11th position today .......p.s. dont get ahead of yourselves dont knowers otherwise you may get disappointed:rolleyes:.! I am under no illusion by todays game....Shadow...
Winning is contagious Shadow!

Hopefully that's the start of stringing a few together.

A good week to play the roosters with their origin players out.

This week is a must win or the win today means nothing.

There's a few banged up teams out there and a few who showed early form now starting to faulter.

Latest posts