What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Your question is an oft used response to the question of the coach.
I suggest that in fact it is the incorrect question to ask.
The better question is that on his performances how did he retain his job last year?
The issue gets clouded by us debating who is available etc when in fact it is not for us to answer the question as to who should have replaced him it was up to our BOD to seek and secure an alternative which they clearly failed to do.
An even bigger question is, given his CV, how was he appointed in the first place??

St Georgio

Juniors
OK let's talk accountability.
We have Knights, Souths, Titans, Broncos, Panthers, Dogs yet to play.
IF Mary is the coach you believe he is and the team is doing as well as you think it is how many of these games should we actually win?
5 of these team are below us on the ladder and theoretically in your world have inferior coaches so should we win at least 5 of them?
Lot's of people jumping up and down with joy over the Manly game (I am happy enough for the win but am wise enough to know the 20 minute lapses are a killer) so does that mean we might win all 6 games?
If we were to lose half of these games would you be happy or would you think we underachieved?
All well and good to pick the bones out of everything to make things look good but we are now at the pointy end of the season and all results will matter so should Mary be allowed any latitude for any losses?
We should beat Knights, Souths, Titans and Dogs no excuses!

IF Mary is the coach you believe he is and the team is doing as well as you think it is how many of these games should we actually win?
5 of these team are below us on the ladder and theoretically in your world have inferior coaches so should we win at least 5 of them?
Lot's of people jumping up and down with joy over the Manly game (I am happy enough for the win but am wise enough to know the 20 minute lapses are a killer) so does that mean we might win all 6 games?
If we were to lose half of these games would you be happy or would you think we underachieved?
All well and good to pick the bones out of everything to make things look good but we are now at the pointy end of the season and all results will matter so should Mary be allowed any latitude for any losses?
Say, God willing, we make the finals in 6th, 7th or 8th position.
The chance of winning a premiership from there is remote.
So being satisfied as a supporter for making the final eight is hard for me to understand.
I think that unless we finish in the top 4, we have underachieved.
I have never subscribed to this nonsense that we were candidates for the wooden spoon in 2017.
Our pack in particular, is as good as any going around.
Our problem is the calibre of our coach - pure and simple.
All that was about was under promising and over achieving - managing the fans' expectations.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Accountability for putting a decent team together?, btw he did take accountability for last year and made the changes required in the off season to get a competitive team on the park. People say dufty should of been getting played earlier but I say he couldn't off had a better debut and his confidence is gonna be through the roof because of it. Iv done my research on Mary. He was a smart footballer, and he's got a a lot of respect from the players, he holds himself well and If he is the super coach I'm dreaming he might be the good news is he don't wna coach no where els but the dragons...
CRUSH it must be time for you to give LIZZI an English lesson .

Bench
If we make the eight and played like we did in the first half against Manly then who knows.

Spudd

Juniors
Say, God willing, we make the finals in 6th, 7th or 8th position.
The chance of winning a premiership from there is remote.
So being satisfied as a supporter for making the final eight is hard for me to understand.
I think that unless we finish in the top 4, we have underachieved.
I have never subscribed to this nonsense that we were candidates for the wooden spoon in 2017.
Our pack in particular, is as good as any going around.
Our problem is the calibre of our coach - pure and simple.
All that was about was under promising and over achieving - managing the fans' expectations.

I'm not privvy to the workings of the cap and we have certainly messed up somewhere.
But do you consider the Dogs, Warriors, Rabbits, Titans and Raiders to have superiors squads to us? I do.

Given our roster I believe we have overachieved.

Gareth67

First Grade
I'm not privvy to the workings of the cap and we have certainly messed up somewhere.
But do you consider the Dogs, Warriors, Rabbits, Titans and Raiders to have superiors squads to us? I do.

Spudd , with respect, I believe that the only area that the Dragons have " overachieved " is by defying the bookies and media critics , as to where we would finish on the competition ladder .
The team still has the same coach now for 2 1/2 seasons , yet our performances are still hot and cold and at times downright embarrassing , and that's putting it mildly .

Without going into the plus and minuses of Mary's coaching , there is one thing that stands out like dogs balls . And that is the man is incapable of introducing fresh ideas into his attacking structures .

It appears that the game plan is to use your forwards to bash and barge over the top of their opponents until the 'surprise ' McCrone 5 th tackle kick - right into the hands of an unsuspecting defence . Ouch ! Of course this constant stress on the forward pack , is the reason why fatigue sets in a couple of months into the season , causing our mid season siesta .
I would very much like Mary to be a successful coach , but unfortunately he still doesn't show any sign of improvement and that equates to another 2 years of ' all so rans ' as far as the Dragons are concerned .

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
Spudd , with respect, I believe that the only area that the Dragons have " overachieved " is by defying the bookies and media critics , as to where we would finish on the competition ladder .
The team still has the same coach now for 2 1/2 seasons , yet our performances are still hot and cold and at times downright embarrassing , and that's putting it mildly .

Without going into the plus and minuses of Mary's coaching , there is one thing that stands out like dogs balls . And that is the man is incapable of introducing fresh ideas into his attacking structures .

It appears that the game plan is to use your forwards to bash and barge over the top of their opponents until fatigue sets in a couple of months into the season , causing our mid season siesta .
I would very much like Mary to be a successful coach , but unfortunately he still doesn't show any sign of improvement and that equates to another 2 years of ' all so rans ' as far as the Dragons are concerned .

He took over from Price midway through 2014...so 3 years and showing little.

I think we will win at least 4 of them,all 6 over achieved and yes 3 of them or less under achieved.

Let me answer you this way.
I am sure that we have a better set of forwards than all the teams you mention above.
The stats support what I say.
The halves and backs can only be effective if there is a platform laid by the forwards.
Dugan, Widdop, Lafai, McDonald, Nightingale are all class players that can compare favorably with the majority of teams on their day.
The Manly game was a good example.
Our forwards dominated the Manly pack all day and our backs looked like world beaters.
Manly were able to get some momentum after half time and you saw what happened.
I think that our overall roster is underrated and we suffer from other things and not necessarily quality of talent.
That's how I see it anyway.

SEAT 1A

Bench
Mate I have said before about our Footy team and Mary , when everything goes their way all is good , but when they are under pressure , Team and Mary all the excuse and whys come out . No plan Bs or Cs ....

That's the nature of the club at the moment hazz.

They have overachieved in my view and Mary's not going anywhere to soon. Enjoying the ride as it could have been much worse.

Old Timer

Coach
I think we will win at least 4 of them,all 6 over achieved and yes 3 of them or less under achieved.
"Overachieved to me that's just some made up word" love that scene from Shawshank Redemption
The use of this word is just an excuse for people to be able to praise Mc Fookknuckle when they wish and to avoid scrutinising him when they should.
It is a false premise that because someone in the media said we might finish 2nd last that anywhere above that is a measure of success or to be considered overachieving.
Even if we agreed that by getting to 1st in the first 10 weeks we did overachieve, the fact that we got there is surely the true measure of success and it should be applauded.
As a result we should change our settings and now rightly gauge all subsequent things against that which we have achieved.
Therefore we should be asking what happened, why didn't we sustain that and should a tenuous hold on 8th spot now be considered as underachieving?
If you gave your investment advisor $1,000 and they got it up to $2,000 but when it turned south they hung on too long and you ended up with $1,010 would you consider that an achievement or a failure to capitalise and a waisted opportunity?

"Overachieved to me that's just some made up word" love that scene from Shawshank Redemption
The use of this word is just an excuse for people to be able to praise Mc Fookknuckle when they wish and to avoid scrutinising him when they should.
It is a false premise that because someone in the media said we might finish 2nd last that anywhere above that is a measure of success or to be considered overachieving.
Even if we agreed that by getting to 1st in the first 10 weeks we did overachieve, the fact that we got there is surely the true measure of success and it should be applauded.
As a result we should change our settings and now rightly gauge all subsequent things against that which we have achieved.
Therefore we should be asking what happened, why didn't we sustain that and should a tenuous hold on 8th spot now be considered as underachieving?
If you gave your investment advisor $1,000 and they got it up to $2,000 but when it turned south they hung on too long and you ended up with $1,010 would you consider that an achievement or a failure to capitalise and a waisted opportunity?
Well it was not just someone in the media it was lots as well as the betting agencies haveing us as 2nd last. I don't know how you can relate an investment to the success of this club.. We had a few stumbling blocks through origin period and injurie , and now we look back to full strength with an added attacking weapon in dufty... good times ahead.. there's a possible premiership this year. People like you just don't see it

Crush

Coach
Well it was not just someone in the media it was lots as well as the betting agencies haveing us as 2nd last. I don't know how you can relate an investment to the success of this club.. We had a few stumbling blocks through origin period and injurie , and now we look back to full strength with an added attacking weapon in dufty... good times ahead.. there's a possible premiership this year. People like you just don't see it
I think its in the balance at the moment. If we fall away from here and miss the eight its another disappointing season. If we just scrape into the eight then its about where we expected we would finish before the season started (the positive people that is, the negative thought we'd finish bottom 4). If we go on and make the eight and go deep into the finals it will be a massive success. Nobody would have seen it coming before the season started. The bookies and media had us 2nd last, they had Mary as the first coach to be fired, Widdop was on his way back to England, Lafai career was finished.....
What happens from here will define our season, lets hope that we go deep. I am hopeful but not confident.

Old Timer

Coach
Incorrect assessment on your part
We see a premiership is possible every year and judge performance and outcomes against that expectation
In your case you want to say that a premiership is on offer as a sign of great achievement but then hedge your bet by saying not winning it is acceptable and making the 8 or finishing higher than what the media says is the measure of success
You can't be telling us we are blind and at the same time turn a blind eye to poor outcomes yourself
When you understand accountability you wil then have 20/20 vision and no longer be blinkered by mediocrity

That's the nature of the club at the moment hazz.

They have overachieved in my view and Mary's not going anywhere to soon. Enjoying the ride as it could have been much worse.

Possibly making the 8 is overachieving?! You can get a big on the Dragons board.

Straight Shooter

giboz71

First Grade
Without a proper halfback and basically the same backline as last year (with the addition of MacDonald) most had us pegged bottom 4 and even the spoon. Most in here conceded we were in a holding pattern till Ben Hunt arrived and guys like Field/Dufty etc we're ready for FG.

If we make the 8 and actually win a semi final or 2 ( which isn't beyond this team), I'll be pretty happy, given most pre season predictions.

BennyV

Referee
When I read posts like this I honestly feel like I'm the only person around here who actually wants to win a Premiership?
Amen!

Too many people in here seeing scraping into the 8 as an achievement. Too many people who just want us to put in effort, regardless of results. Too many people are content with just supporting the club, and dont actually care if they do well. Its disturbing.

These are the people our incompetent board and management feed off. These are the people, who accept mediocrity and failure as just part-and-parcel of the game, who will end up watching meekly on the sideline and waving the flags if/when this club get relocated, merged again or folds.

Just because people expect us to be shit at the start of the season doesnt mean that finishing slightly-above shit is a successful season. I dont expect us to win every year, but I expect us to be in the running. And if we dont win, we do what is necessary to win the following year. And so on. Success should be demanded, not a convenient surprise. Our early season run should be the norm, not a happy accident that has us waiting for the drop.

People look at Melbourne and expect them to win and be successful. THAT is where we should be. Not jumping for joy at the fact that we are clinging to 8th because people expected us to be really shit this year.

Latest posts