What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

The Damo

Juniors
Last year I would've been just as happy as anyone to see McGregor get the sack - he deserved it. Astonishingly however, the board saw fit to keep him. So at the start of the season I said if we get top 6 and play attacking good football I'd be happy. Not quite top 6, but definitely the brand has improved.

We were on track for a top 4 season until we lost our captain and 5/8 Widdop. Don't forget we are already playing this season with our second choice half (Hutch was first choice). So we lost 3 games on the trot against three sides expected to dominate the season; Roosters, sharks and Storm, all without our first choice halves - besides the storm game we could've won the other 2. After that we went through a dip that had real cause for concern, but it's now about how we finish the last 6 games, if Mary has truly learnt and improved as a coach we will see that with consistent results and good football, much like we saw at the start of season.

Lastly, we know he is no super coach, nor are most people a super coach from day 1. As I mentioned in another thread, Bellamy has one premiership in about 13 years of coaching (but is very good at getting his team to the business end). He didn't win his first until year 4 or5. Hasler didn't even make the finals his first year of coaching but did every year after that - however it also took him 5 years to win his first premiership. He has won 2 in total and he had a much better roster than Mary did when he took over.

Even look at Bennett who is a first class coach, but what did he achieve at Newcastle - 1 finals series appearance in 3 years, with much more resources available than Mary has.

The reality is it takes time for a coach to command respect and get results - especially from a club that had an average roster and really needed to rebuild.
:clap::clap::clap::clap:And that's as good a summation of the reality of NRL coaching as I've seen.[/QUOTE]

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Re the untouchable 3 at Storm well the fact is they are already well and truly into replacement mode and the Storm will still be up there when they are gone because they have a system and a coach that knows how to get young players grounded in 1st grade and we are not even remotely close to having that.

You can only assume that and Bellamy has brought these guys in due to injury on most part. Munster when Billy was out, Brodie Croft when Cooper was out, etc. Not as if he has done anything special. OK Mary was using McCrone heaps when he should have maybe thrown Field or Mann at half but appart from that he is also transitioning players like Dufty for Duges now and Sele/Host/Lawrie for Packer. Euan was gradually brought in.

Lapses are bad and I can understand the frustration, but the reaction is what is pleasing. Last year they would have lost all those games when they went behind. They even nearly came back against the Storm. Their attitude is a lot better this year that is for sure. And for a team to have been in the top 8 nearly 100% of the time if not 100% of the time and getting bagged, I find that bizarre. Manly are being talked as premiership material and Saints flogged them twice. They are only 2 controversial losses behind and Manly won against Knights controversially from memory or was that Souths. Refs have played some role too you know in the make up of the 8 and our season. If Saints were on 28 pts it would be a much different story that is for sure.

to_ddeath

Coach
All I know is, I am far from convinced on McGregor...one swallow does not make a summer & never should.
That 20 minute lapse v Manly would become an ever bigger lapse if a better team had a chance to dismantle us...
I believe we definitely can make the 8, & there's simply no excuse for not making it.
Though, the over-achieving excuse is a cop out regardless of where we finish.
The aim should be to win finals games at the very least. Contend or at least put yourself in the frame to do so.
After the past 6 seasons where we've seen at least 5 of that which have been total rubbish... I think some of us are entitled to have higher standards to hold the club to from the top down.
If we could put 52 on Manly last week, why is this not being displayed regularly?
Why do we get so many heartless performances...such as the Dogs/Parra/Titans losses...in between the decent wins?
Dufty should have been chanced in round 12 or so when the Origin period kicked in....a few games starting & a few off the bench could/would have helped us greatly in that time & improved our win/loss ratio and F&A.
Anyway the next few weeks will tell me more. Let's hope this recent improvement is not yet another false dawn...

T.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
True in regards to why Saints can put 50 against Manly and not Dogs, Parra or Titans. I think the reason for those low scores was Widdop not being 100% or injured.

These lapses are a huge concern but luckily against Manly they put in a 1st half of pure class to get to 30-0. No team has done that against the Knights let alone Manly.

St Georgio

Juniors
Peter Doust has to go, our year is over, Congratulations to McPuppet for securing himself a 2 year extension, I will advise fellow Dragons fan to plan something different whilst Paul McGregor is coach because they just make up the numbers in the NRL!

OzDragon

Coach
It's not the first time this year where we have a big win and next game play like shit.
Why wasn't Mann given a run in the last 15 minutes.
McGregor has proved once again he does not have a clue.
I am shattered after today.
The dope put Packer on though!!.....

It's not the first time this year where we have a big win and next game play like shit.
Why wasn't Mann given a run in the last 15 minutes.
McGregor has proved once again he does not have a clue.
I am shattered after today.
Why bother having 4 interchanges if you're not going to use them?
He has done that on a number of occasions to the teams detriment.
he didn't use Mann even when we went down 14-20 with 6 minutes to go.
I don't get his coaching at all.

71saintsimon

Juniors
There should be a crowd protest a boycott of games til this fraud mangement led by Peter doust is removed , just on what bases was McGregor resigned ? they are absolutely kidding if they think that bold head is going to win the dragons any thing other then pain and misery

thebigredv

First Grade
If McGregor doesn't go for the $10k fine at the press conference today then he isn't a team player. Imagine if Ricky was our coach after today???

Bench
I think Frizell is still carrying an injury. Nightingale played his heart out today. I would have taken him or Lafai off and put Mann on for the last 15 minutes.