What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bulldogs Fire Sale: Can it finish the Dragons roster for 2018?

Frank Facer

First Grade
Assuming that the Bulldogs 'fire sale' is going ahead for the end of the season, if they have to offload forwards like James Graham, David Klemmer or Josh Jackson, would you take one of them as a replacement for Russell Packer? That would leave us looking like this for 2018, assuming no more signings in the off-season. Not a bad side.
  1. Matt Dufty
  2. Nene McDonald
  3. Euan Aitken
  4. Tim Lafai
  5. Jason Nightingale
  6. Gareth Widdop
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Klemmer/Jackson/Graham
  9. Cameron McInnes
  10. Paul Vaughn
  11. Tyson Frizell
  12. Joel Thompson
  13. De Belin
  14. Ah Mau
  15. Sims
  16. Sele/Lawrie/Host
  17. Mann
I am not a fan of Aikten at centre. I think he is a backrower, but he lacks size to be a first grade backrower. I have heard that he played lock as a junior. There are massive wraps on Zac Lomax. I would like to see him given a shot at Aikten's centre position next year.

I also think that Host can take Thompson's spot next year.

Life's Good

Coach
I agree with our about Jackson. In my opinion, he along with Darius Boyd and Adam Reynolds are the 3 most over rated players in the game. I would not want Jackson. I think Sterling is one of the best judges and best football brains that I know of, but his high opinion of Jackson baffles me.

I would take Klemmer or Graham. But there have been a few posters on here saying that Graham has an on going next injury. I have not watched many Canterbury games this year, so I have not seen how well or poor Graham has been playing this year.
The neck injury to Graham isn't something I was aware of. I have watched a bit of the Dogs(happy to see them get beaten)and the one thing Graham still has is fire. That is something we could use. Let's see how it plays out.

Gareth67

First Grade
Strange , with the exception of Reynolds , most of the other doggies have been playing so poorly , that you would need to think twice about accepting any of them , let alone actually paying for their services .

Of the players that would be of benefit to our team , I also can only see Klemmer or Graham . As has been mentioned , there is no way that they will release Klemmer , as he is one of their ' bookends ' with the other one being Woods .

I have myself have said in previous posts , that Graham would be the man to not only replace to big Russ , but would be the type of player to give the Dragons pack that ' never-say-die ' attitude , that has been missing since the departure of Jeremy Smith back in 2010 . Although he is indeed moving on in years , his experience alone , would be a tremendous asset to the team , more so the younger players . That plus the referees tend to listen to him and that is something that they haven't done for quite some time when officiating our matches .

Last edited:

hazzbeen

Bench
Assuming that the Bulldogs 'fire sale' is going ahead for the end of the season, if they have to offload forwards like James Graham, David Klemmer or Josh Jackson, would you take one of them as a replacement for Russell Packer? That would leave us looking like this for 2018, assuming no more signings in the off-season. Not a bad side.
  1. Matt Dufty
  2. Nene McDonald
  3. Euan Aitken
  4. Tim Lafai
  5. Jason Nightingale
  6. Gareth Widdop
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Klemmer/Jackson/Graham
  9. Cameron McInnes
  10. Paul Vaughn
  11. Tyson Frizell
  12. Joel Thompson
  13. De Belin
  14. Ah Mau
  15. Sims
  16. Sele/Lawrie/Host
  17. Mann
Mann has to be in the starting team somewhere in the back line ...

slippery5

Juniors
I'd take Brett back for 2 years. Still shits on what we have got , far quicker & better defender and would revel in the forwards going forward and the service from Widdorp , Hunt & Lafai. All comes down to what money it will take.. Klimmer is the only other i'd take.
At the detriment of not giving the likes of Lomax,Dodd, & Herbert a start & losing them to another club, I think not….

Last edited:

ALSGI

Bench
All for it and Millward so go out with the cheque book (or iPad) and do his thing, as long as he does it with our best juniors first and not some Dire Sale bullshit.

Gm5

Juniors
I'd like to see Graham win it one last time with St Helens before he retires

Crush

Coach
Aiken would never have scored the trys Mann has from close range.
Aiken would have tried to run over the top of them.
That being said, I do like Aiken but where does he fit into the team, however Mary is the coach!
CC
Hey CC, have you ever made a post not related to Kurt Mann?;)

Bulldogs

Raiders

Sharks

Roosters

Dragons

Who is the odd one out here ?

Why the faaark are we sitting at the same 'Chinese' table?

Why would we want to give them an out of their current predicament.. faaark the bulldogs and raiders .. let them feel the pinch... I hope it disrupts their plans for years to come...

Put the boot in while you can... because sure as shite they will throw us under the bus when it comes to the inevitable rationalization.

If you don't know who the mark is when you sit down .. it's probably you.

Mickthedragon

Juniors
Bulldogs

Raiders

Sharks

Roosters

Dragons

Why would we want to give them an out of their current predicament.. faaark the bulldogs and raiders .. let them feel the pinch... I hope it disrupts their plans for years to come...

Put the boot in while you can... because sure as shite they will throw us under the bus when it comes to the inevitable rationalization.

Could'nt agree more.
Funny how these clubs suddenly invite us when they are looking for support and an out. They overestimated and stuffed up and we followed the nrl's advice and didn't over indulge.
Stuff them!

Life's Good

Coach
Bulldogs

Raiders

Sharks

Roosters

Dragons

I'll tell you why. The NRL have us by the b*lls with the debt. They gave the greenlight to Johnston to attend so he can act as a spy to proceedings!

Jackson is a plodder. Gets the wraps because Sterlo rated him. Sterlo also called Sandow the 'Black Alfie' so his judgement isnt the best.
It's a yes to either Klemmer or Graham.
What has Klemmer done this year in club or NSW? Over rated. He needs to be coached on how to run.
Take Klemmer any day of the week as for the others.....its a No from me
What has Klemmer done this year? I'm not sure what's going on with him, but he's a shadow of his previous form.
Klemmer and Woods were rubbish for NSW, hopefully they can continue their poor form next year together.

Life's Good

Coach
What has Klemmer done this year in club or NSW? Over rated. He needs to be coached on how to run.

What has Klemmer done this year? I'm not sure what's going on with him, but he's a shadow of his previous form.
Klemmer and Woods were rubbish for NSW, hopefully they can continue their poor form next year together.
Klemmer has been one of their few consistently strong performers. He gets plenty of metres, plays good minutes & strong defensively. He also seems to have toned down in the hot headed stakes. Pretty sure the Dogs won't release though.

Gareth67

First Grade
Bulldogs

Raiders

Sharks

Roosters

Dragons

Exactly T.O.T.S. - I mentioned similar only the other day . Just does not make any sense why the Dragons would be at such a meeting .
Either we ourselves are having trouble meeting the announced cap or we have been offered some sort of sweetener by the others ' invitees ' , which I find unbelievable .
Whatever the case may be , I view our attendance , as yet another bad , very bad move by our board .

Bench
I don't particularly like Graham but you can't deny that he gives it all each gane.
In games this year when Packer was given a spell we don't have the same intensity amongst our forwards.
Graham would give us the muscle up front.
Maybe 12 month contract with an option as long as his contract price is not over the top

MilanDragon

Juniors
Exactly T.O.T.S. - I mentioned similar only the other day . Just does not make any sense why the Dragons would be at such a meeting .
Either we ourselves are having trouble meeting the announced cap or we have been offered some sort of sweetener by the others ' invitees ' , which I find unbelievable .
Whatever the case may be , I view our attendance , as yet another bad , very bad move by our board .

Us, eagles and Knights are apparently the only clubs well under the cap. So not sure why we'd be there unless we are there to 'veto' such a move.

I'll be fuming if the cap is increased to allow for some of those clubs that have over-spent.

Gareth67

First Grade
Us, eagles and Knights are apparently the only clubs well under the cap. So not sure why we'd be there unless we are there to 'veto' such a move.

I'll be fuming if the cap is increased to allow for some of those clubs that have over-spent.

MilanDragon , so would I , however are we going on the media ' say so ' or do we know for a fact ? ( I am not trying to be argumentative ) . The Dragons big signing Ben Hunt is costing the club how much , once again the media are only speculating , $1mill. ?

Who really knows , however as you said , the last thing we want is for anyone of the rorter clubs is to get of that big bloody hook , that they have put themselves on .

I only hope that the NRL doesn't weaken at the knees and allow them the extra cap space , but with Lodd Grunberg running the show , you just never know .