What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 - what needs to change

Card Shark

Immortal
Let's hope this time next year we aren't all in here saying Gal and Lewis both went one season too long...

I think that's a distinct probability - Gal needs to come off the bench.

If we wasn't such a legend, i'd be encouraging his retirement.

Card Shark

Immortal
In answer to the thread question....

Fifita, run f**king straight!

How ironic was it that it was his sideways running that cost us a last chance at victory!

Initial thoughts are that we need some fresh blood in the forwards and that Gal and Lewie may well play one season too long.

Given that Beale is going to the Warriors, Raimen is assured of a spot in the backs.

King Ben

Juniors

How ironic was it that it was his sideways running that cost us a last chance at victory!

Had a ripper first half I thought, too. Just needed to run straight, quick PTB for the field goal attempt. Could say the same about Gal 10 minutes earlier I guess.

Special K

Coach
When was the last time Flanno dropped a player for a better youngster? Our side was complacent all season. Players did not put in yet there were no changes.

Our pack needs more diversity, it is so old. Ava and Uele will help this but we need another strike backrower. Capewell is good but he isn't going to blow open a game. We need punch from the bench.

Looking at 2018, starting with the forwards.

Brailey played well in semis he stood up, great plus.

Gallen needs to go to bench and he and Bakuya come on for the Prior/Fifita sub, we see when they go off we lose go forward that should be fixed.

Graham to lock, Capewell into 2nd row.

The outside backs

Holmes to wing, Flanno tried gave him a season it failed, is Dugan long term fullback not sure but Flanno needs to find out, Ramien to be given chance in centres.

Leutele stood up again so stick with him, Feki need more then a hitup from inside 20 to be a cert.

Halves Maloney it is time to go, he played cranky all season just seemed out of sorts we need to get Moylan if that fails, then somehow land Blake Green as seems offside at Manly.

Chad needs to standup in first month otherwise lets give Flanno jnr a chance

Bench we need strike power Gallen, Bakuya, Uele he is a big lad lets see what he can do, the 4th spot either Ava/Dillon or go with maybe Brailey younger, we need some strike off bench that was pointed out yesterday

Get rid of Holmes. Sign Zmoylan on his money and upgrade Maloney.
Brailey is superb and will be80 minute player next year.
All we need to do is fix the problem of relieving pressure upon our halves because our current hasn't and won't ever be able to

Craigshark

First Grade
I'm starting to think if Maloney wants more money, let him go..

Sign Moylan and Barba and another second rower/front rower. If we go in to next year with the same team, we're toast.

Griffoshark66

First Grade

He had largely run straight the entire day. Why he decided to get crabby at that point is anyone's guess.

YTSharks

Juniors
Depends on the cattle I guess.
If it's a spine of Dugan, Moylan, Townsend and Brailey, there'd have to be a game plan change to get the best out of their running games and off the cuff plays. Maybe moving Graham to lock to give us another ball player.
I'd agree moving Holmes back for the time being but I dont think it's the end of him at the back. Ramien and Gray should push each other for the 3 jersey. And need Katoa and a few more of the youngsters to be pushing feki for his spot.
Think Bukuya in the starting side ahead of capewell in the 12 and would like to see Gallen on the bench. Ava, Uele, Dillon and magalouis (?) fighting for 1 or (if seggy keeps his shit up) 2 bench spots with Nikora, flanno, brailey and the like getting blooded
Should also try not giving away penalties for a change

snoozer

Bench
not going to comment on players.

errors, defence and penalties.

we win a lot more games if we fix those problems.

yesterdays game was a mirror of our season - looked really good in parts but let ourselves down with stupid stuff.

Depends on the cattle I guess.
If it's a spine of Dugan, Moylan, Townsend and Brailey, there'd have to be a game plan change to get the best out of their running games and off the cuff plays. Maybe moving Graham to lock to give us another ball player.
I'd agree moving Holmes back for the time being but I dont think it's the end of him at the back. Ramien and Gray should push each other for the 3 jersey. And need Katoa and a few more of the youngsters to be pushing feki for his spot.
Think Bukuya in the starting side ahead of capewell in the 12 and would like to see Gallen on the bench. Ava, Uele, Dillon and magalouis (?) fighting for 1 or (if seggy keeps his shit up) 2 bench spots with Nikora, flanno, brailey and the like getting blooded
Should also try not giving away penalties for a change

If that is the spine, wouldnt be too bad, who we should look at is Junior Paulo he wants out of Raiders, get him into our squad young guy with go forward, he might be the one person we need

One thing that will become very evident in the next few weeks is the end of the U20's
Next year we sign for 1 more with newtown or go it alone in reggies.
I think the latter will benefit the club greatly.

Quigs

Immortal
Hasn't Newtown hooked onto someone else for next year. Thought I read it was the Storms turn for them to get into bed with.

One thing that will become very evident in the next few weeks is the end of the U20's
Next year we sign for 1 more with newtown or go it alone in reggies.
Hasn't Newtown hooked onto someone else for next year. Thought I read it was the Storms turn for them to get into bed with.

I think the latter will benefit the club greatly.

Spot on Mr Quigs.
Not confirmed but it looks likely

Josh Massoud and Liam Cox
7Sport / August 31st, 2017
59a68880dacca_837jets.jpg

7th Tackle: Why Jets are ditching Sharks for Storm

Rugby league’s most resilient club – the Newtown Jets – are facing yet another challenge as their feeder relationship with Cronulla deteriorates.

Sharks coach Shane Flanagan and Newtown officials have not been seeing eye-to-eye of late.

As a result, Newtown has cast its eye elsewhere for an NRL partnership in 2018.

We can reveal club president Terry Rowney has met with the Melbourne Storm, which has two feeder teams in Queensland, but none in Sydney.

59a68880dacca_837jets.jpg

The Jets are breaking loose from the Sharks. Pic: Getty

Rowney also shares history with Storm skipper Cameron Smith, giving the hooker an apprenticeship at his labelling factory in Melbourne 15 years ago.

Storm football boss Frank Ponnisi last night said there was “possibility” the clubs could combine, having spoken about a similar association beforehand.

“But the talks have only been very preliminary at the stage and we haven’t even discussed it internally,” he added.

Should the Jets go through, Melbourne won’t abandon their two affiliate QLS teams – Easts Tigers and Sunshine Coast Falcons.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/league/a/36896207/7th-tackle-why-jets-are-ditching-sharks-for-storm/