What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Milford / Oates collision.... play-on or not?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
No issue with stopping play for something like Oates injury although now watch coaches whinge when it doesn't happen for a torn cuticle or a Kenny edwards cramp.

ek999

First Grade
Also I think it was the right call both from a welfare perspective and the fact there was an accidental offside. People have such a hardon for trying to pick up any mistake the refs make and I dont understand it

soc123_au

Staff member
I was more annoyed with the stoppage for Milford and Thaiday late in the game. That one was a momentum killer. Athough Bryce made sure of it with the dumb chip and chase, so it hardly cost the game.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Call was 100% correct. Loving the crying from the broncs hating faction. The chooks were offside countless times last week and threw about 8 forward passes and nothing from the deathriders. The fear of another Broncos premiership is consuming some of the plebs.

So the players and referees in the vicinity of the incident can make that diagnosis within a second or two.

Players have copped what appeared to be a serious injury only to get up all crispy and new a few seconds later for years.
There was no controversy that lead to the Broncos winning

In the current climate of lawsuits against the NFL and WWE there's no way it should be play on when there's a possible head injury, the NRL can't afford to f**k around

soc123_au

Staff member
Call was 100% correct. Loving the crying from the broncs hating faction. The chooks were offside countless times last week and threw about 8 forward passes and nothing from the deathriders. The fear of another Broncos premiership is consuming some of the plebs.
There really isnt a lot of crying. No one fears the Broncos. Get over yourself. You beat the most inept attacking side in the 20 by 7 points. lol@broncos.

Shorty

Staff member
Also I think it was the right call both from a welfare perspective and the fact there was an accidental offside. People have such a hardon for trying to pick up any mistake the refs make and I dont understand it
Especially when it's quite clearly a serious injury.

Mr Spock!

Referee
So if someone runs off after 2 defenders head clash they're going to stop the game and have a chicken scratch?

No.....

Advantage Penrith...play on.

Shorty

Staff member
Again Oates was quite clearly injured.
Play is stopped immediately because it's the right thing to do.

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
Thought it was accidental offside so correct call by the rulebook?

If not, tough one, distinct advantage to Penrith but let's say Oates starts fitting or swallows his tongue and ref allows play on? Both the NRL and the refs will be dragged through the mud from here to eternity on how their stance on player welfare is an act.

I thought it was more interesting that allowed Jai Arrow to stay on when he was clearly scrambled - he was on for another set before they pulled him off despite the fact he had jelly legs from his collision.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
As I said in my earlier post, it would have been interesting to see what happened if the ball flew backwards or out to the side.

The fact that the ball was right next to him is important. In this instance the nearest Panthers player was able to collect the ball easily enough and pass it on, but the last thing you want to risk is players diving and scrambling for the ball when it's right next to a prone player.

It's unfortunate for the Panthers because they did nothing wrong at all, but I'm fine with the refs calling play dead there.

Canard

Immortal
Technically the referee could have asked a Knights teamate to play to the ball and continue the game after the Alex McKinnon tackle.

Do we really want the rules enforced that strictly?

THE CHAMP

First Grade
There really isnt a lot of crying. No one fears the Broncos. Get over yourself. You beat the most inept attacking side in the 20 by 7 points. lol@broncos.

You left out a couple of important points.
They are 1 without one of the games most damaging wingers for the majority of the game. 2 without one of the best fullbacks in the game and 3 without pangai a very good attacking forward. If they all return next week look out dipshit

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Technically the referee could have asked a Knights teamate to play to the ball and continue the game after the Alex McKinnon tackle.

Do we really want the rules enforced that strictly?

If this doesn't get the dumb merkins to stfu nothing will.

soc123_au

Staff member
The play was complete after the McKinnon incedent. Apples and oranges. Last night the ball was still live. As previously stated, I still don't have a problem with how they called it, and I really haven't noticed too many other Penrith fans blowing up about it.