What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop given a serve.

Carlton

Juniors
Of course I am rationalizing which is something you are failing to grasp. You're suggesting that the reason that we did not make the finals is because Widdop was captain and the way he played but in the big scheme, he was a major reason we were even in contention. The portion of the blame you are attributing to Widdop, when there are far more glaring issues with the side, is unrealistic and unfair. A different captain out of the 16 other players on the pitch would not have made a difference in any game this season. You put too much value in an on field captain.

Do you know what the top 4 teams have that we don't? It's multiple focal points in attack and good coaches. Storm have Bellamy, Smith, Cronk and Slater and a well developed system. Broncos Bennett, Hunt, Boyd, Nikorima and Milford. Roosters Robinson, Pearce and Keary. And we had what? Mary as coach, McGroan as 7. Widdop and the left side attack was the most potent of any side but there needs to be balance which we didn't have. So when put in perspective and looking at it holistically and as I have stated previously, there are other major issues that are to blame for the sides lacklustre performance with Widdops captaincy playing a minor role if any. But that's my opinion. You take it in or lump it. Matters not to me.

Widdop was our playmaker but, it was the other players who weren't playmaking correctly that caused Widdop to display poor game management. Or, was it because he came back from injury etc.

The fact is he struggled to manage the game effectively and his playmaking was not up to scratch ( there was little deception in what he did). As far as our left side attack being the best of any side I have to disagree, Vunivalu, Radradra, Oates to name three were a lot more dangerous. And this highlights the fact our right side was hardly played to, oh sorry, Widdop plays on the left and as playmaker doesn't have to worry about the right.

sammythesaint

Juniors
Samvasruby.
You are back
As i said, if you think widdop is a good captain, organiser, leader of men, gutsy and smart, well good for you.
You sound like the Illawarra faction who accept shite resuts.....
Widdop is not very bad, nor bad....but he is a bog average number 6 and a poor leader.
But thats what Illawarra accept.....just happy to even be in the comp

BrissyRedV

Bench
Widdop was our playmaker but, it was the other players who weren't playmaking correctly that caused Widdop to display poor game management. Or, was it because he came back from injury etc.

The fact is he struggled to manage the game effectively and his playmaking was not up to scratch ( there was little deception in what he did). As far as our left side attack being the best of any side I have to disagree, Vunivalu, Radradra, Oates to name three were a lot more dangerous. And this highlights the fact our right side was hardly played to, oh sorry, Widdop plays on the left and as playmaker doesn't have to worry about the right.
I keep forgetting that Widdop is our only playmaker. My mistake. It's all his fault that tackles weren't made and we didnt score enough points. Honestly, why do you and your cronies even bother posting? Actually, don't bother responding. I have little interest in what you have to say.

And just to set it straight, left side attack is the whole left edge from 2nd rower out and not just wingers. Our left edge as a whole was the most potent of the comp.

Carlton

Juniors
I keep forgetting that Widdop is our only playmaker. My mistake. It's all his fault that tackles weren't made and we didnt score enough points. Honestly, why do you and your cronies even bother posting? Actually, don't bother responding. I have little interest in what you have to say.

And just to set it straight, left side attack is the whole left edge from 2nd rower out and not just wingers. Our left edge as a whole was the most potent of the comp.

I am talking about what I see is a deficiency in his game management and playmaking. I have never mentioned missed tackles by the team or blamed him for that.

And I agree the left edge is more than just the wingers but, what happens inside quite often ends up with the winger. Our left edge included Thommo and Lafai. Thommo ran some brilliant lines but didn't get the ball he should have and Lafai for all the flack he cops delivered some incredible balls often after he was given the ball with nothing on.

You have an opinion and that's fine, what I hate is the fact if anyone raises any sort of criticism of Widdop there are a group of posters that think they can take a "holier than thou" approach and just try to shut down the discussion.

sammythesaint

Juniors
I am talking about what I see is a deficiency in his game management and playmaking. I have never mentioned missed tackles by the team or blamed him for that.

And I agree the left edge is more than just the wingers but, what happens inside quite often ends up with the winger. Our left edge included Thommo and Lafai. Thommo ran some brilliant lines but didn't get the ball he should have and Lafai for all the flack he cops delivered some incredible balls often after he was given the ball with nothing on.

You have an opinion and that's fine, what I hate is the fact if anyone raises any sort of criticism of Widdop there are a group of posters that think they can take a "holier than thou" approach and just try to shut down the discussion.

I agree with you, they do try to close it down, lol.
Amazing how people can be vitriotic against dugan, mcrone, packer, lafai, aitken, nighty of all players, nene, and others......but dont dare say widdop has flaws that are hurting us massively.

A $750,000 a year international rep player should be a game breaker, should be the person we look to significantly influence positive outcomes of games.
But he does not.

We get within 15 mts of opposing teams try line many.... many times a game, widdop looks lost, he seems to have no idea, he doesnt organise his few strike players like vaughan, fritz, dufty in any shape or form.

Guys, that what he is paid to do, organise the bloody offensive, funny how JT, even a novice like Munster, Luke Keary who most of this forum said no to joining us...well that was the right call hey....an 18 year old Cleary does it better......and so on and so on.

Its widdops job....but he doesnt do it very well.
Our team looks lost anywhere near the try line.....

Widdop aint hopeless.......but he is damn bog average for an international on $750,000 a year

Thank god hunt is coming.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
As i said, if you think widdop is a good captain, organiser, leader of men, gutsy and smart, well good for you.
You sound like the Illawarra faction who accept shite resuts.....
Widdop is not very bad, nor bad....but he is a bog average number 6 and a poor leader.
But thats what Illawarra accept.....just happy to even be in the comp

Yes vas you know everything.
All hail the mighty vasrubysamy.
You are getting boring.
You say the same thing over and over.

gonz

Juniors
I hardly think so, Widdop has been the major reason for our lack of success.
Weak captain, no communication, no passion, Mcgrxits LAP DOG.
Crabs sideways, never takes on the line, talks like a mute at press conferences.....a dead set fuc...ing loser of a captain...weak as shit.
Thats my opinion.....heartless player
Hunt will lead us with Graham. Widdop's time is UP.

You damn apologist.
Well said

800k ffs

gonz

Juniors
Can't help but laugh at the notion that Widdop should move on and is solely responsible for our woes.

He was the 5/8th of the year and was in contention for THE Dally M until about 3 weeks ago (that's despite missing 6 games). Also was instrumental to our early season form before his injury. It's no accident we fell off a cliff when he injured himself.

The one thing I'll agree with is that he isn't captain material. I think he'll have a great year under less pressure next year
He can't handle any sort of pressure

True_Believer

Juniors

So McCrone at half did his job well? You were happy to have him at half (which by the way is also considered a playmaker position)? So McInness at Hooker played a complete game? So Dugan at fullback created unlimited opportunities at fullback?

Like I said, other teams spread that responsibility and have 3 or 4 attacking weapons in the spine with at least 2 playmakers. We have one with ALL the responsibility. Yes he does have to shoulder some of the blame for losses but a majority of it has to go to the coach and the rest of the team needs to shoulder their fair share as well.

True_Believer

Juniors

Holier than thou? I thought we were having a discussion? Just because I don't agree with you opinion doesn't mean I can't express mine and just have to roll over and accept yours.

qld redvee

Juniors
So McCrone at half did his job well? You were happy to have him at half (which by the way is also considered a playmaker position)? So McInness at Hooker played a complete game? So Dugan at fullback created unlimited opportunities at fullback?

Like I said, other teams spread that responsibility and have 3 or 4 attacking weapons in the spine with at least 2 playmakers. We have one with ALL the responsibility. Yes he does have to shoulder some of the blame for losses but a majority of it has to go to the coach and the rest of the team needs to shoulder their fair share as well.
pretty well spot on there, As mentioned countless times on threads we had no plan B or even C so if coach cant get messages to the captain / team to forget what we are doing and do these things then of course captain will flounder . How many times did mcrone kick s^it but the ball still went to him every 5th tackle - obviously no better option from coaching box and maybe widdop NOT ALLOWED to make things up .. Hunt will give us a second playmaker which allows widdop a bit of breathing space but we still need a plan B

Carlton

Juniors
Holier than thou? I thought we were having a discussion? Just because I don't agree with you opinion doesn't mean I can't express mine and just have to roll over and accept yours.

I wasn't talking about you True-Believer when I said "Holier than thou" and I do appreciate a discussion where there are differing opinions. But when a poster says they are not interested in what you have to say and don't bother responding that is trying to shut down the discussion.

I have never told another poster I thought their argument was worthless or said anything derogatory about another poster. All I have ever done is put forward my perspective and in this case my opinion is different to yours and a number of other posters. On the flip side there are a number of posters who share my concerns regarding Widdops game management ability.

sammythesaint

Juniors
Yes vas you know everything.
All hail the mighty vasrubysamy.
You are getting boring.
You say the same thing over and over.
And you say the same thing over and over ...and over about mcgrexit. If mary goes...widdop must go. Worse captain we have ever had. Trouble is no other club needs a reserve grade number 6