What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taumalolo To Play For Tonga

Alan Johnson

Juniors
Dick move. The whole thing about playing for your country is that it's not a choice. It's like the reason I support the Warriors - I don't do it because I want to, I do it because they are the club of my city (or country if you like).

He's having a tantrum because he didn't do anything in the GF.

Matua

Bench
Well, we're stuffed.

Things clearly aren't right in the Kiwis. Taumalolo turns his back on the team (remember he actually picked NZ under strong pressure from Qld and playing Origin), Harris out injured after playing these last few weeks, Kahu injured (Foran broken but that's to be expected), the selectors making it public for no reason that they might not pick one of the most consistent NZers in the game, the former captain and stand out prop banned, and Leululai the favoured son whereas Benji could have won the Dally M and not been selected.

If Kidwell's lost the dressing room then he should have a long hard think about stepping down - as a player he knows what it's like when a coach losses the dressing room.

mikeob

Juniors
Tonga's coach is Kristian Woolf who is also coach of the Townsville Blackhawks who play in the Qld Intrust Cup.

TheDMC

Bench
Dick move. The whole thing about playing for your country is that it's not a choice. .

But he has two countries...And when the rules say you can play for either, he does have a choice.

Strange situation really. I'd be far more pissed off when a player doesn't turn up for his country(s) because he just can't be arsed or puts his club first. But JT playing for Tonga - well sucks for NZ but it is totally up to him. Does of course indicate the NZRL and kiwis coaching outfit/culture is a shambles. But that's not JT's fault. He just has another option and is taking it. At least will get to see him play.

spear tackle

Juniors
On the flip side, Kidwell literally did this himself as a player.... and we won a World Cup the next year because of it.

One of the other kiwi selectors also did the same thing also, so I doubt we'll be hearing too many complaints from them.

Meth

Staff member
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?objectid=11929684&ref=twitter

The other Lolo's gonna play for tonga too

"The Daily Telegraph is reporting that Tui Lolohea (Wests Tigers), Solomone Kata (Warriors), Konrad Hurrell (Titans), Manu Vatuvei (Salford), Manu Ma'u (Eels) and David Fusitu'a (Warriors) are set to join Taumalolo and make themselves available for Tonga.

Lolohea, Kata, Maʻu, Fusitu'a and Vatuvei have played for both nations in recent times with Warriors winger Fusitu'a the most likely to be in the Kiwis plans for the tournament which begins on October 27.

Sydney Roosters' Sio Siua Taukeiaho, who has one cap for New Zealand, confirmed he will play for Tonga, the Telegraph reports."

Meth

Staff member
Based on Taumalolo's explanation- I still think its great.

"I really enjoyed my time within the Tongan World Cup Squad last time and have had a long time association with Tongan Coach Kristian Woolf," said Taumalolo.

"I just feel it's time to give back and hopefully I can assist and inspire young Tongan players to chase their NRL goals

"I see with the new international rule change an opportunity to represent both Tonga and NZ throughout my career, I have and will always be proud to wear the Kiwis Jersey. I just feel the World Cup provides developing nations like Tonga and opportunity to play on the big stage and I would like to help them with their campaign."

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Well. Pants.

Heres hoping we get Junior Paulo, if he's eligible.

We may struggle to make the final now

What is wrong with RL in NZ? The Warriors seem to have had issues the last few years, now the national team.

IF the real reason is the Bromich/Proctor stance, then I've lost respect for him

IF the issue is deeper, surely the jumper should come first and if he wanted to play for Tonga, this should have been anounced well before the eve of the squad announcement.

gordynz

Juniors
why though?

It's a massive dick move and his explanation is absolute garbage. If he really wanted to give back to Tonga then he would've made the announcement a long time ago and made himself unavailable for the Anzac Test, knowing full well he would be taking someone's spot in the squad which could've been used to further develop one of our younger players.

Both sides are to blame however. NZRL is a joke and Kidwell is out of his depth. How do we go from being number one in the world only a year ago to the position we're in now? Ruling out players such as Benji and JWH is ridiculous and 100% personal, their form has been worthy of a recall and we all know they will give it their all for the Kiwi's jersey.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Fafita has quit the Aussie team to play for Tonga. Silly move for him, he's not good enough to come back into the side after the WC.

Front-Rower

First Grade
these guys are turning international league into more of a shambles

The whole administration and players ego is out of control. The game either needs to go two ways, become a business based sport with hard and fast rules that can be backed up by hard nosed business men who demand respect OR let the players rule the roost, let them do what the hell they want and let them slowly destroy the game by looking after self interests.

If the game goes the way of the second choice, then the players who think they know it all can figure out why money, interest is declining and the game is virtually dead at every level. Then we can watch them jump ship quicker than Usain could run the 100 metres.

Alan Johnson

Juniors
"I see with the new international rule change an opportunity to represent both Tonga and NZ throughout my career, I have and will always be proud to wear the Kiwis Jersey. I just feel the World Cup provides developing nations like Tonga and opportunity to play on the big stage and I would like to help them with their campaign."

That's actually fairly reasonable. props to the comms. person for that script.

Why is the Kiwi jersey so worthless to our modern players? None of the big names of the modern era have ever really given a f*ck. SBW was in and out like a tampon, and now Taumalolo's betrayed us. The only big name player in recent memory who ever gave a sh*t was Benji, and look how he's been treated.

I just don't get it. I give up on ever expecting the Kiwis to improve and develop into the force they could and should become. We have too many amateurs in management.

Latest posts