What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast Bears/Nth Sydney/Gosford

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well we have no alternative now, the nrl,doesn't want to go beyond 16 clubs so time for another 1999 sort out of the wheat from the chaff.

Back to my afl question, happy or not happy?

Vee

First Grade
Lol. What argument?You have proven to be a hypocrit!? You surely don't expect me discourse with someone who's dodgy like yourself! Then again you would going on your track record.
Oh dear, I fell for it again, arguing with an idiot and risking onlookers not being able to tell the difference.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Oh dear, I fell for it again, arguing with an idiot and risking onlookers not being able to tell the difference.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." -Mark Twain

I guess that only leaves us with mocking them relentlessly.

Stallion

First Grade
Well we have no alternative now, the nrl,doesn't want to go beyond 16 clubs so time for another 1999 sort out of the wheat from the chaff.

I believe the priority in a sporting club is firstly to do with the development and propagation of the game. Profitability , is a bonus. The main aim is to have the code culturally relevant and high participation numbers. If profits come as a result of strong, well targeted development then so be it. Ultimately the propagation of the code is number one in my books therefore I agree with the 'AFL'stance to answer your question. I will note this though, at least your discourse (PR) offers relevance at times whereas others in the peanut gallery are purely aimed at putting cheap shots on with ignorance of their hypocritical stance prevailing.
By this discourse we have established the meanings of branding, context and propagation of a code with profitability as a bonus. Class dismissed! :relaxed:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I have direct inside knowledge that the colours were a major consideration. Something you 'destructionist ' type advocates dont consider are things like colours, jumper styles, club songs, fan banter and emotional plus historical attachment of fans to a club. You discard these factors as trivial as you ignorantly go about your misguided and damaging stance toward rugby league.

Of course, Balmain and Wests were super happy with the colours and branding of the merge...

It must be why they have changed their jersey a dozen times in the last decade, desperatedly trying to find a design and colour balance that will please everyone. Its BECAUSE everyone is so happy with the branding.

Genius.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
For a start their is no imminent or immediate requirement for clubs to be carved up as you think! The saints/illawarra merger was in part acceptable due to a lack of colour clash. The whole scenario of mergering was as a result of a poorly negotiated "peace" deal whereby the ARL clubs were shafted. So don't preach as if the mergers and eliminating with relocation was and is the right thing to do. You have a massive disrespect for history and cultural significance. This is your failing.

No, Illawarra/Dragons merge worked because Saints used to cover that area before the NSWRL decided Wollongong needed their own team. Rejoining the two was simply reverting back to the pre-82 situation with better representation of the South Coast (easily the most successful mergers in Australian top grade sport).

Comparing this to Wests-Balmain is laughable. These were 2 foundation teams from dramatically different locations. Ive said before that Wests-Panthers would have been a much better merge (Panthers literally came from the Wests run reserve comp).

As for Balmain, they had options to go with Parra, Norths or even to another major city (they were looking at Melbourne and apparently the CC pre-SL).

Wests and Balmain didnt merge because of their colours (Wests colours would have matched ANYONE). They merged because they needed partners to survive and all of the other options were so powerful they wuld have just been takeovers...

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
No, Illawarra/Dragons merge worked because Saints used to cover that area before the NSWRL decided Wollongong needed their own team. Rejoining the two was simply reverting back to the pre-82 situation with better representation of the South Coast (easily the most successful mergers in Australian top grade sport).

Comparing this to Wests-Balmain is laughable. These were 2 foundation teams from dramatically different locations. Ive said before that Wests-Panthers would have been a much better merge (Panthers literally came from the Wests run reserve comp).

As for Balmain, they had options to go with Parra, Norths or even to another major city (they were looking at Melbourne and apparently the CC pre-SL).

Wests and Balmain didnt merge because of their colours (Wests colours would have matched ANYONE). They merged because they needed partners to survive and all of the other options were so powerful they wuld have just been takeovers...

Beg to differ. The colours were a consideration in this eventual and pushed (by an unfair 'peace deal ) agreement. It was a factor! I would suggest shame on the clubs that made the treacherous decision to go to superleague. As these clubs had little regard for the history and relevance of the Sydney premiership and its worldwide notoriety. (Especially the Bulldogs!) After all this competition was and still is the most popularly domestic attended rugby competition in the world to this day.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
Of course, Balmain and Wests were super happy with the colours and branding of the merge...

It must be why they have changed their jersey a dozen times in the last decade, desperatedly trying to find a design and colour balance that will please everyone. Its BECAUSE everyone is so happy with the branding.

Genius.

You bring up a good point. The constant changing of jumper styles and in some cases their colours (eg Warriors, Penrith and Canberra) does the recognition and market familiarity of that club no good at all. The short term jumper sell is a flawed marketing strategy as it weakens that clubs ability to be easily identified and recognised by neutral fans along with disgruntled and confused longtime fans.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
You bring up s good lpint. The constant changing of jumper styles and in some cases their colours (eg Warriors, Penrith and Canberra) does the recognition and market familiarity of that club no good at all. The short term jumper sell is a flawed marketing strategy as it weakens that clubs ability to be easily identified and recognised by neutral fans along with disgruntled and confused longtime fans.

Ahh what.

We've changed our colour scheme once in our 35 year history, and we changed it straight back to the old scheme afterwards.

BTW, we were pressured into doing it to distance our brand from the branding that was used during the SL war, all the SL clubs were pressured to do it, we just capitulated to that pressure more easily then some of the other clubs.

Stallion

First Grade
Ahh what.

We've changed our colour scheme once in our 35 year history, and we changed it straight back to the old scheme afterwards.

BTW, we were pressured into doing it to distance our brand from the branding that was used during the SL war, all the SL clubs were pressured to do it, we just capitulated to that pressure more easily then some of the other clubs.

Glad that you have noted that the different green was a big mistake in that super league fiasco. This season the Raiders wore a number of different strips. Other clubs are more at fault however the Raiders had a high range in jumper colours of green this season. The Warriors and Penrith have varying jumpers over an elongated period of time that had made their recognition by fans very difficult. With the Warriors its a real shame they could not stick with their original royal blue, green , white and red jumper. Apparently it was some ownership colour association that caused the colour change? The Panthers have been licorice allsorts, brown and white, and others over the years. This has not helped their efforts for establishment in the market place. Their are other clubs and this is concerning as it negatively impacts on familiarity and fan loyalty.

Diesel

Referee
Auckland RL appear to be the majority buyer of the Warriors and talk of reverting to Auckland Warriors, so the red, blue and white (Auckland's colours) might make a return

The Great Dane

First Grade
Glad that you have noted that the different green was a big mistake in that super league fiasco. This season the Raiders wore a number of different strips. Other clubs are more at fault however the Raiders had a high range in jumper colours of green this season. The Warriors and Penrith have varying jumpers over an elongated period of time that had made their recognition by fans very difficult. With the Warriors its a real shame they could not stick with their original royal blue, green , white and red jumper. Apparently it was some ownership colour association that caused the colour change? The Panthers have been licorice allsorts, brown and white, and others over the years. This has not helped their efforts for establishment in the market place. Their are other clubs and this is concerning as it negatively impacts on familiarity and fan loyalty.

Ahh what.

The different green came after the SL war!
We were pressured into it by multiple groups (some inside the Raiders and some in the NRL) as a way to modernise the brand and distance ourselves from SL, it failed miserably, all of the re-brands after the SL war (apart from a handful of logos, including our logo, and the Warriors re-brand) failed miserably.

Apart from being a result of the fallout the re-brand had nothing to do with SL, it certainly had nothing to do with SL/News themselves, in fact they were fine with us keeping our original colour scheme and brand in general (though that didn't work out due to legal reasons).

Oh and great idea by the way, lets force the clubs to stick rigidly to their original brand all the time and servery restrict their ability to produce some of their best selling regular new merchandising options, on top of their already crap merchandising ranges.
Lets also completely f##k our most successful way of raising money for charities to boot.

Look, I get it, you like your clubs brands, they're part of the reason that you fell in love with the club, but take away their ability to mix it up in the jerseys department and you're murdering one of their best income streams and one of their best options for community outreach.

BTW, do you know what the best selling Raiders jersey of all time is? It's the 2014 Hulk jersey.

Latest posts