What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast Bears/Nth Sydney/Gosford

Diesel

Referee
And green from memory?
Green, and to a lesser extent red, were colours of DB Bitter, the Warriors first major sponsor.
Blue and white are Auckland colours, whether or not they decide on a red trim or something to differentiate themselves from the Bulldogs.

Stallion

First Grade
Green, and to a lesser extent red, were colours of DB Bitter, the Warriors first major sponsor.
Blue and white are Auckland colours, whether or not they decide on a red trim or something to differentiate themselves from the Bulldogs.

Thanks for the information. It might be worth their while to incorporate those colours as they are distinct from the rest of the league and were on their original strip. I've seen worse marketing decisions made by clubs!

Stallion

First Grade
Ahh what.

The different green came after the SL war!
We were pressured into it by multiple groups (some inside the Raiders and some in the NRL) as a way to modernise the brand and distance ourselves from SL, it failed miserably, all of the re-brands after the SL war (apart from a handful of logos, including our logo, and the Warriors re-brand) failed miserably.

Apart from being a result of the fallout the re-brand had nothing to do with SL, it certainly had nothing to do with SL/News themselves, in fact they were fine with us keeping our original colour scheme and brand in general (though that didn't work out due to legal reasons).

Oh and great idea by the way, lets force the clubs to stick rigidly to their original brand all the time and servery restrict their ability to produce some of their best selling regular new merchandising options, on top of their already crap merchandising ranges.
Lets also completely f##k our most successful way of raising money for charities to boot.

Look, I get it, you like your clubs brands, they're part of the reason that you fell in love with the club, but take away their ability to mix it up in the jerseys department and you're murdering one of their best income streams and one of their best options for community outreach.

BTW, do you know what the best selling Raiders jersey of all time is? It's the 2014 Hulk jersey.

Still missing the point. The clubs should be wearing the main strip most of the time as it really does impact on their ability to be recognised by passive/ neutral fans/viewers of the game. This gains a recognition of a club that can be sustained and easily familiarized to newer markets and fans. Its a longterm strategy with longterm benefits. The short term money grabs are just that and ultimately do the recognition of a club no favours for engendering loyal and longterm familiarity and support.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Still missing the point. The clubs should be wearing the main strip most of the time as it really does impact on their ability to be recognised by passive/ neutral fans/viewers of the game. This gains a recognition of a club that can be sustained and easily familiarized to newer markets and fans. Its a longterm strategy with longterm benefits. The short term money grabs are just that and ultimately do the recognition of a club no favours for engendering loyal and longterm familiarity and support.

Great another myth within our community with (mostly) no basis in fact that has been repeated so many times that it has become true, that I'm stuck trying to talk people out of ...
I don't know why I'm even bothering because you won't read this anyway, because it's going to be long, but here we go anyway.

Brands do not need to stay unchanging to be recognisable.
Brands can support sub-brands.
Brands can, and do all the time, have specific colour schemes for specific events.
No sports brands are not particularly sacred in this regard.
Yes there are teams around the world that mange to maintain a main colour scheme and a secondary colour scheme (which sometimes change often).
Yes those teams are often bigger more recognisable teams then ours.
Yes you can create separate symbols that can come to be associated with your club.
Finally no cross promotion isn't a terrible thing.

Here are some examples of some of the above.

All these logos are or were official McDonald's logos at one time or another-

vsgfx-mcdonalds-logo-evolution-opt.jpg

Notice how they didn't always have the M and that it changed and evolved over time, also notice that for quite some time McDonald's main colour scheme wasn't red and yellow and at different times white and blue were important colours to their brand. (FYI this graphic doesn't show all the McDonald's logos that have ever existed).
On another note about McDonald's think about all the sub-brands that McDonald's has had and mantained over the years such as Mc Cafe, you could even argue that some of their products are recognisable sub-brands in their own right, such as the Big Mac.

Now for a couple of examples from sport.
This is the German soccer club St. Paulis' official logo-
fcsp-logo.png

However if you asked average people what the clubs logo was many would show you this-
220px-FC_St_Pauli_skull_and_crossbones.svg.png

This is the St. Pauli Totenkopf, it was and is the main logo used by the St. Pauli fan club for decades, it became so synonyms with the club that to outsiders it is arguably more recognisable then their official logo, and eventually St. Pauli made it an official club logo and it's now on the jersey on the inside under the collar on the back, it is also constantly in official club material and is even the main feature of the players tunnel onto the clubs pitch (you should look it up it's awesome, search St. Pauli welcome to hell tunnel if you're interested).

Surely I don't need to provide examples of successful sports teams (many whom are more successful and recognisable then any NRL club could ever dream of) that are constantly tinkering with colours or logos!?
For a quick example lets take St. Pauli again (though you could pick pretty much any European soccer team of note and get the same results), their official colours are brown, red, and white, most of their jersey (particularly their home jerseys) are majority brown, yet over the years they have had black, gray, pink, purple, green, yellow, almost orange brown, infinite different shades of red, etc, coloured jerseys, sure many of them have been goalie jerseys, but many haven't been either, and many of their red or white jerseys have been so radically different from their usual jerseys that they wouldn't have been instantly recognisable as St. Pauli jerseys if they didn't have St. Pauli livery on them.

They've also done charity/political jerseys, the best example of this from modern times was their LGBT jersey that had rainbows and a rainbow skull and crossbones on it.

All the brands that I've used as examples above are from companies that are much larger then your average NRL club, and they haven't been hindered by constant tweaking and playing with their brands, in most cases it's resulted in good returns for them.

At the end of the day marketing and particularly branding are by and large art forms not sciences, trying to treat them as sciences has resulted in some of the most terrible ad campaigns and branding choices of all time, and often things that everybody said wouldn't work did spectacularly, basically trying to stop brands from evolving over time or changing to cater to new markets is stupid and untimely a futile task, to do it for nostalgia soaked rose tinted glasses looking on the good old days of when one was young is even more stupid.

Mark my words, 10 years from now there'll be blokes saying "why did the Panthers change their brand from the 03 brand, that was their best logo and jersey" and the such.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Thanks for the information. It might be worth their while to incorporate those colours as they are distinct from the rest of the league and were on their original strip. I've seen worse marketing decisions made by clubs!

Unless they change their sponsorship practices they won't cause they sell colours in their colour scheme to their main sponsor along with the sponsorship space on the jersey, it's for sponsorship integration I believe.

So don't hold your breath, because even if they do revert back to the Auckland Warriors and pick up blue and white again you're almost certainly still stuck with Vodafones' red and white, unless they change their sponsorship practices or until Vodafone gets replaced with a new main sponsor.

Stallion

First Grade
Unless they change their sponsorship practices they won't cause they sell colours in their colour scheme to their main sponsor along with the sponsorship space on the jersey, it's for sponsorship integration I believe.

So don't hold your breath, because even if they do revert back to the Auckland Warriors and pick up blue and white again you're almost certainly still stuck with Vodafones' red and white, unless they change their sponsorship practices or until Vodafone gets replaced with a new main sponsor.

The splash of green would be the distinguishing colour that would regain a distinct and recognisable jumper. No other club has blue, white , red &green combined in their colours. This is the original guernsey colours of the Auckland Warriors. Distinguishable and consistent colours are an asset that should be maintained and encouraged. It has a positive flow on effect for club recognition.
The clubs I have mentioned continue to have recognisability issues with a 'flimsy' policy toward their look over many years. They need to be distinct and solid. This ultimately gains public familiarity, especially to neutral fans. Gaining the neutral fans is a big part of where rugby league should be concentrating. If you note another rival code(AFL) seldom changes its basic colors and top styles. This is not by chance . It's for longterm market recognition. They will occasionally change a strip for a theme round but, in the main, their strips are consistent along with their colouring.
Remembering a code like soccer does not have fundametal barriers for growth and acceptance that dominates the code of rugby league worldwide . The vulnerability of rugby league makes its approach to marketing a different scenario to that of soccer.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
The splash of green would be the distinguishing colour that would regain a distinct and recognisable jumper. No other club has blue, white , red &green combined in their colours. This is the original guernsey colours of the Auckland Warriors. Distinguishable and consistent colours are an asset that should be maintained and encouraged. It has a positive flow on effect for club recognition.
The clubs I have mentioned continue to have recognisability issues with a 'flimsy' policy toward their look over many years. They need to be distinct and solid. This ultimately gains public familiarity, especially to neutral fans. Gaining the neutral fans is a big part of where rugby league should be concentrating. If you note another rival code(AFL) seldom changes its basic colors and top styles. This is not by chance . It's for longterm market recognition. They will occasionally change a strip for a theme round but, in the main, their strips are consistent along with their colouring.
Remembering a code like soccer does not have fundametal barriers for growth and acceptance that dominates the code of rugby league worldwide . The vulnerability of rugby league makes its approach to marketing a different scenario to that of soccer.

Did you even read the post you are responding to?
You definitely didn't read the one before hand that's for sure.

I'm not giving an opinion on whether or not the Warriors should or should not have green and red in their colour scheme, let alone whether or not they should change their colour scheme back to blue and white (as I don't care either way), I'm simply stating the fact that regaining green in their colour scheme almost certainly won't happen unless they change their sponsorship practices because they sell colours in their colour scheme to their major sponsor.

Besides, at this point the Warriors brand has been black, white, and red a lot longer then it ever was blue,white, red, and green, and it's certainly more recognisable as black, white, and red.
Black, white, and red is also much more unique and distinguishing colour scheme then blue and white anyway, so using you're logic when it comes to branding they should be looking to stay black, white, and red, but I forget your (and most others) support of the warriors (or any other team for that matter) going back the their 90s colour scheme isn't really about branding, it's about nostalgia for the 'better times' of when you were children.

Stallion

First Grade
Did you even read the post you are responding to?
You definitely didn't read the one before hand that's for sure.

I'm not giving an opinion on whether or not the Warriors should or should not have green and red in their colour scheme, let alone whether or not they should change their colour scheme back to blue and white (as I don't care either way), I'm simply stating the fact that regaining green in their colour scheme almost certainly won't happen unless they change their sponsorship practices because they sell colours in their colour scheme to their major sponsor.

Besides, at this point the Warriors brand has been black, white, and red a lot longer then it ever was blue,white, red, and green, and it's certainly more recognisable as black, white, and red.
Black, white, and red is also much more unique and distinguishing colour scheme then blue and white anyway, so using you're logic when it comes to branding they should be looking to stay black, white, and red, but I forget your (and most others) support of the warriors (or any other team for that matter) going back the their 90s colour scheme isn't really about branding, it's about nostalgia for the 'better times' of when you were children.

Their is a club that was wrongly kicked out of the top flight competition that wore red, black and white in their strip. The North Sydney Bears. And still recognised very much by such colours in their rightful quest to be back in the top flight comp.

flippikat

Bench

If the Warriors are bought by the Auckland Rugby League, they should revert back to something closer to the original colours.

The original blue, white, green & red had way too much going on, but I think blue with green & white trim could be decent. GAZF had the right idea in this concept design http://gazf.info/auckland-warriors-2013-14/

The Great Dane

First Grade
Their is a club that was wrongly kicked out of the top flight competition that wore red, black and white in their strip. The North Sydney Bears. And still recognised very much by such colours in their rightful quest to be back in the top flight comp.

Do you ever reply to a question or another point of view, or have you only got dodging the questions if they don't follow your narrative.

The Great Dane

First Grade
If the Warriors are bought by the Auckland Rugby League, they should revert back to something closer to the original colours.

The original blue, white, green & red had way too much going on, but I think blue with green & white trim could be decent. GAZF had the right idea in this concept design http://gazf.info/auckland-warriors-2013-14/

Why should they?

What they've got now is distinct from all the other brands and instantly recognisable, why would they trade that in for a majority blue and white strip (realistically with some red thrown in as well), when there're plenty of other club knocking around with those colours.

I don't care if they do or they don't, but from they outside looking in it seems a bloody stupid idea.

Stallion

First Grade

You have clearly made an assumption about the red, black and white colouring of the Warriors and its not right. Even if its blue, red and white thats the Roosters. They are essentially the Bears colours and their are enough supporters still existing to know this. Its a poor colour choice. Would have thought you could have worked that out!? A distinct colour combination would help in distinguishing and identifying a club from other clubs.

The Great Dane

First Grade
You have clearly made an assumption about the red, black and white colouring of the Warriors and its not right. They are essentially the Bears colours and their are enough supporters still existing to know this. Its a poor colour choice. Would have thought you could have worked that out!?

So yeah all you've got is dodging the question.

King hit

Coach
You have clearly made an assumption about the red, black and white colouring of the Warriors and its not right. Even if its blue, red and white thats the Roosters. They are essentially the Bears colours and their are enough supporters still existing to know this. Its a poor colour choice. Would have thought you could have worked that out!? A distinct colour combination would help in distinguishing and identifying a club from other clubs.

Someone posted a potential GC Bears jersey and it looked awesome

The Great Dane

First Grade
That's the right answer! Can't help it if you can't work that out!?

The Bears don't come into the equation, they're irrelevant, they're not in the NRL anymore and they very likely never will be again, they've got nothing to do with anything.

Yet you want to stop a club from using colours that a dead club used to have and want them to pick up two of the most common colours in the comp and that definitely clash with at least two clubs that are still around today .
All the while you have the gall to claim that changing back to their old colour scheme which clashes with tons of clubs would make the Warriors more distinctive!

It makes no sense, none what so ever, your reasoning is atrocious, and anytime that somebody counters any of your claims you just ignore them and bring up something irrelevant.