What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC2017 Crowd Watch

Springs09

Juniors
It's not a bad narrative except it totally discounts Brisbane - so you are wrong.

No it doesn't. The point is if Sydney doesn't support international games then why do we give games to Melbourne, Canberra, Townsville etc.? Sydney are only behind Brisbane in support for tests and they have the most support for minnow nations. Unless Brisbane should host all 28 games on its own?

Raiderdave

First Grade
You don't have anything constructive to add, you're just here to bag the comp and self justify why you can't be bothered supporting Rugby League.
If it wasn't the eligibility rules, it would be the score blowouts from fielding amateurs.
If we limited it to the 6-8 strong teams, you'd have a crack at how few nations there are and dismiss it because Australia's gonna win anyway.

The only way it improves is by getting people through the gates, making money and investing it into the RLIF and developing nations. Something can't sprout from nothing. The eligibility rules are designed to reflect Rugby League's multicultural makeup and give nations the best chance to field a professional team.

If you want to support the game, attend World Cup games and buy some merch.
If you want to trash the game, keep whining about eligibility rules.

The main difference between Union and League fans is that League fans are cheap, whining merkins.

I attended last Sunday
& will attend this Friday & hey wot the hell , the following saturday too dickhead
I also attended the last RLWC game played here in 2008
& every Raiders home game played for the last 4 years , plus every weekend I attended a local game played down here for the last 4 years at least as well
so don't lecture me about true support for our game, if its RL in my town ... Im there !!
anyone
anyone who thinks our eligibility rules aren't a mockery are seriously living in an alternate reality

If we can only find 8 nations legit without padding the rest with NRL players , Australian NRL players
then so be it
2 groups of 4 , semi's & a final
also play a minnows world cup with another 8 nations with the finalists in that playing the 7th & 8th placed teams in the tier 1 world cup in a 2 game home & away series to qualify for the next tier 1 world cup.

we need to do something
we're going backwards as a world cup .... its as simple as that

RedVee

First Grade
Dissagree. My gut feel was that Sydney should have hosted the Kangaroos v England game. It would have been full at the SFS. Instead in Melbourne , price gouging and a poor turnout occured for a very good game of footy.
They play it in Melb to match up with the horses.

Springs09

Juniors
yep , we get enough of our NRL stars for 30 odd weeks of the year, every year
no wonder no ones interested in seeing them again dressed up in the colours of other nations
to bolster the quality of the tournament , we need to rethink the whole thing i believe

Genius.

Plenty of people are interested in watching Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, Italy and Lebanon play. They just aren't in Townsville or Canberra.

By your logic everyone should be turning up to watch France and the USA. Heritage teams aren't the problem and neither is switching. Tonga has both and has created more publicity/interest in the tournament than any other team by far.

adamkungl

Immortal
I attended last Sunday
& will attend this Friday & hey wot the hell , the following saturday too dickhead
I also attended the last RLWC game played here in 2008
& every Raiders home game played for the last 4 years , plus every weekend I attended a local game played down here for the last 4 years at least as well
so don't lecture me about true support for our game, if its RL in my town ... Im there !!
anyone
anyone who thinks our eligibility rules aren't a mockery are seriously living in an alternate reality

If we can only find 8 nations legit without padding the rest with NRL players , Australian NRL players
then so be it
2 groups of 4 , semi's & a final
also play a minnows world cup with another 8 nations with the finalists in that playing the 7th & 8th placed teams in the tier 1 world cup in a 2 game home & away series to qualify for the next tier 1 world cup.

we need to do something
we're going backwards as a world cup .... its as simple as that

If you support the tournament then why sink to bagging it the same way Union fans and other haters do?

The eligibility rules are the way the are for a reason. They give the game the best chance to grow quickly. Teams like Lebanon and Tonga having NRL players is hugely beneficial for interest in their games. Its a multicultural sport played in multicultural countries and the rules reflect that.

Cutting out teams that aren't fully professional doesn't help, if you think the number of people interested in this world cup is low then a 'minnow world cup' would be attracting crowds of 10s instead of 1000. The best way to bring other nations up a level is to let them play at that level.

The world cup is not going backwards and throwing the toys out of the cot won't achieve anything

No it doesn't. The point is if Sydney doesn't support international games then why do we give games to Melbourne, Canberra, Townsville etc.? Sydney are only behind Brisbane in support for tests and they have the most support for minnow nations. Unless Brisbane should host all 28 games on its own?
Did I say that? You said Australia doesn't support Int RL. As far as I am aware, Brisbane remains in Australia, you dunce.

Burns

First Grade
Sydney Report

Organisers are expecting a big crowd. My PAX is in the 3000’s as I got some free tickets. These are in Bay 2 on the Southern end.

Townsville Report
Organisers were very disappointed for the Fiji v USA match in light of the promotion they did.

I leave this thread for 3 hours and we’re arguing what?

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Just saying that 13 of the 49 games at the 2015 cricket world cup in aus/nz attracted crowds under 5,000. A couple games got under 2,000. Didn't here many people complain about that.

Yes some games attracted over 40,000 and the final 90,000.....bit our sport has some much ground to make up against other world cups.

Warriors Fever

Juniors
Back on crowd topic I am heading to Canberra looks like it has sold all right but judging by last week I won't hold my breath until kick off.
I don't know why people can't except we have a lot of players who have heritage for certain nations, if it's good enough for rugby it's good enough for us. Those same people would be saying why bother if there were even further blowouts.

Warriors Fever

Juniors
Based on what source? Cheers
Just while I was playing around on ticketek, seeing what seats were sold. Not a lot left in cat c, one side completely sold. Cat b was scarce and cat a looked good too without too many swathes in each bay. Not a huge amount left but could be seats not released. I'm probably being more hopeful though.

Burns

First Grade
Upper tier on the non tv side for Canberra tonight is on sale now. Can’t find any estimates in the press.

phonetic

Juniors
You people are suckers for punishment for relying on the ticketek maps for any sort of guidance...

I'm heading out to the sfs tomorrow night. I'm thinking it'll around the 20k mark. I have heard a lot of anecdotal stories about free tickets from friends and work colleagues. Hopefully the weather behaves.

Burns

First Grade
You people are suckers for punishment for relying on the ticketek maps for any sort of guidance...

I'm heading out to the sfs tomorrow night. I'm thinking it'll around the 20k mark. I have heard a lot of anecdotal stories about free tickets from friends and work colleagues. Hopefully the weather behaves.
No doubt there are free tickets galore for this one. Nothing wrong one with it in this instance I think.

Weather does seem a bit grim for tomorrow however. Should suit England!

Latest posts