What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 ladder predictions

ouryear

Juniors
You guys should be top 4.

Solid in the backs.

Very good in the halves.

Great in the forwards with

Vaughan
Graham
Frizell
Thompson
De Belin

Ah Mau is a machine off the bench....

I had high hopes for Souths these past two years and now I'm taking the realistic approach....

We have quantity but most of it isn't quality..... bunch of park footballers and young ones who are not ready and some are just out of their depth....

2019 we will be much better...

11th I have us for next season....... (I hope it's better)

Have faith, Looking at the positive way you finished last season with some good wins ....and a bright new coach with great plans and new ideas.

I listened to him talk on sky sports Radio morning show to TK and Michael Slater, and what he had to say was really very good.

He is very insightful, seems like a great man manager.....your players will definitely play hard for him.

Also with GI back, there is an extra 10 points more every game!

Gagai will also add a lot.

I would be confident for top 4-6.

And yes, let's tag team the rorters so they finish towards the bottom!

My soft spot for the Rabbits comes from the very close mate ship between Souths players Johnny Sattler, Lurch O'Neill, Bob McCarthy, Eric Sims, Jimmy Lisle, Bobby Honan... and Saints Changa, Johnny Raper, Billy Smith, Norm Proven, Ian Walsh and Reg Gasnier.....in fact both entire teams were close. (On field they played tough and hard)

Hard foes on the field....but very... very close mates off the field.

They took no prisoners on the field, played it as if it was lfe and death.

But away from field they met at each others homes for dinner, went to pubs together, and even their wives were close.

Off the field.....they had each others backs.

Rabbits and Dragons supplied a combined 12-14 players for the Kangaroo teams to England, one of their greatest wins together was 50-12 Vs the Poms to win back the "ashes".

Brothers in arms in all those great Kangaroo tours.

A true story is 7 Souths and Saints players were still having a drink at 4am in the morning, the pub was shut of course, but the owner always had the bar privately open for them.....anyway, the lady serving Raper another beer asked him when his next game was.......Raper looked down at his watch.....and said......"Oh, in about 10 hours time across the road at the SCG" and took another sip of his beer.

1950 - 1970 Rabbits and Saints players were good mates. (But on field they all played hard to win and whip each others arses)

Geeze I miss that era.

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
I have had bad experiences as has close family friends with Dragon supporters....

Mind you I hate Rorters and Moanly more....

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Have faith, Looking at the positive way you finished last season with some good wins ....and a bright new coach with great plans and new ideas.

I listened to him talk on sky sports Radio morning show to TK and Michael Slater, and what he had to say was really very good.

He is very insightful, seems like a great man manager.....your players will definitely play hard for him.

Also with GI back, there is an extra 10 points more every game!

Gagai will also add a lot.

I would be confident for top 4-6.

And yes, let's tag team the rorters so they finish towards the bottom!

My soft spot for the Rabbits comes from the very close mate ship between Souths players Johnny Sattler, Lurch O'Neill, Bob McCarthy, Eric Sims, Jimmy Lisle, Bobby Honan... and Saints Changa, Johnny Raper, Billy Smith, Norm Proven, Ian Walsh and Reg Gasnier.....in fact both entire teams were close. (On field they played tough and hard)

Hard foes on the field....but very... very close mates off the field.

They took no prisoners on the field, played it as if it was lfe and death.

But away from field they met at each others homes for dinner, went to pubs together, and even their wives were close.

Off the field.....they had each others backs.

Rabbits and Dragons supplied a combined 12-14 players for the Kangaroo teams to England, one of their greatest wins together was 50-12 Vs the Poms to win back the "ashes".

Brothers in arms in all those great Kangaroo tours.

A true story is 7 Souths and Saints players were still having a drink at 4am in the morning, the pub was shut of course, but the owner always had the bar privately open for them.....anyway, the lady serving Raper another beer asked him when his next game was.......Raper looked down at his watch.....and said......"Oh, in about 10 hours time across the road at the SCG" and took another sip of his beer.

1950 - 1970 Rabbits and Saints players were good mates. (But on field they all played hard to win and whip each others arses)

Geeze I miss that era.

That's an awesome story brother. It's a great rivalry because there's always been that respect there. But of course we always want to win because then there's bragging rights theee. Whereas with teams like the roosters it's just pure hatred haha.

Rsag85

Bench
Question pick the table for next year which team will win the minor premiership and which team will get the wooden spoon

Rsag85

Bench
That's all good bro, what are your picks?

I have the storm winning the minor premiership again and for the wooden spoon it’s between the Warriors and us. I think both sides have recruited poorly.

Sides like the knights and Tigers I can see doing better. Sharks and Broncos will slide down the ladder. Bulldogs will make the eight.

JetRider

Juniors
If we were to use last years form as a guide you would have to say that Souths will be in the bottom half of the ladder and may even be a wooden spoon candidate. Players have not shown enough (those in WC) to suggest greater improvement.

Our recruitment has also not realised any great established talent other than Gagai and he is not enough. Our season is dependent on young talent and coaching expertise to come forward, so at this stage no reasonable signs of a better year ahead.

Having said that, form may shift with new coach and our trump cards could improve again to balance our team, Burgess brothers, AR and CW and Cook causing havoc up front with GI, Gagai, AJ and others benefiting- we will not know until the season kicks off which scenario will eventuate.

Like so many on this forum, my expectations are tempered, my hopes are high and my support is unwavering- bring on the new season.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
O
I have the storm winning the minor premiership again and for the wooden spoon it’s between the Warriors and us. I think both sides have recruited poorly.

Sides like the knights and Tigers I can see doing better. Sharks and Broncos will slide down the ladder. Bulldogs will make the eight.

I would be extremely surprised if we were to get the wooden spoon. I'd place a lot of money that we finish above the bottom 4 at the very least. Fair enough though they're only predictions.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
If we were to use last years form as a guide you would have to say that Souths will be in the bottom half of the ladder and may even be a wooden spoon candidate. Players have not shown enough (those in WC) to suggest greater improvement.

Our recruitment has also not realised any great established talent other than Gagai and he is not enough. Our season is dependent on young talent and coaching expertise to come forward, so at this stage no reasonable signs of a better year ahead.

Having said that, form may shift with new coach and our trump cards could improve again to balance our team, Burgess brothers, AR and CW and Cook causing havoc up front with GI, Gagai, AJ and others benefiting- we will not know until the season kicks off which scenario will eventuate.

Like so many on this forum, my expectations are tempered, my hopes are high and my support is unwavering- bring on the new season.

That's the number 1 thing in this side is that it has underachieved the past 2 seasons. All our key players have been down on form. The potential for success if they regain form is unlimited.

Even if next season isn't a success I can see a side that is growing towards success in the next few years. We don't have to rely on our key players anymore like we have in the past and we finally have some decent depth.

Rsag85

Bench
O

I would be extremely surprised if we were to get the wooden spoon. I'd place a lot of money that we finish above the bottom 4 at the very least. Fair enough though they're only predictions.

Don’t see that happening to be honest a lot of under performing players still at the club, hopefully the new coach can get the best out of them and I believe we are still missing something

Rabbits20

Immortal
Don’t see that happening to be honest a lot of under performing players still at the club, hopefully the new coach can get the best out of them and I believe we are still missing something
Yep we ain't making the 8........ that's pretty certain imo.....

Rabbits20

Immortal
That's the number 1 thing in this side is that it has underachieved the past 2 seasons. All our key players have been down on form. The potential for success if they regain form is unlimited.

Even if next season isn't a success I can see a side that is growing towards success in the next few years. We don't have to rely on our key players anymore like we have in the past and we finally have some decent depth.
We do not know if the depth is decent yet though...... it could be good depth or it could be shithouse depth....

I reckon it'll be a mixture tbh.....

Rabbits20

Immortal
DKOR could you please Merge this thread in with the other ladder thread.

No need for 2 imo.

burgibigbash

Juniors
I have the panthers missing out of the top eight
Maloney is exactly the type of player they need. Moylan is highly overated IMO and drifts in and out of games.
Maloney would have looked sensational in red and green. He is a competitive little bastard who always has a dig and never dies wondering. He knows how to win big games and with the ever reliable Cleary at halfback some great outside backs and a very solid pack should finish in the top 4. Very little reps in the Origin should help as well.

I think the Sharks will miss him enormously.
Penrith had a really poor start to the year and finished fairly well. I see them bringing in consistency next year and Gus might just get his premiership.

The Titans are awful. The halfback has big wraps , but I just don't get all the hype. He has some quality moments in games and has a tonne of ability , but is a bit hit and miss for mine and not the greatest defender on Earth.
Elgey the other half is absolutely horrible in defence . Angus Crichtons value shot up by 300k after his game against the Tits. As good as he went that night the Tits were about as bad as any team I've seen in the last 5 years.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Sportsbet 2018 grand final winner odds.

1. Sydney Roosters $5
2. Melbourne Storm $6
3. Cowboys $7
4. Brisbane Broncos $12
5. Raiders, Sharks, Eels, Panthers and Souths $13
10. Manly Sea Eagles $15
11. St George Illawarra $21
12. Bulldogs $34
13. Newcastle Knights $41
14. Titans, Warriors and Tigers $51

Sportsbet 2018 top 8 finish odds

1. Sydney Roosters 1.25
2. Melbourne Storm 1.30
3. Cowboys 1.35
4. Brisbane Broncos, Parramatta Eels 1.50
6. Penrith Panthers 1.60
7. Raiders, Sea Eagles 1.65
9. Souths, Sharks 1.70
11. Dragons 2.00
12. Bulldogs 3.00
13. Titans, Warriors and Knights 3.50
16. Tigers 5.00

I thought this was pretty interesting. Sportsbet has us as equal 5th for grand final winners and equal 9th for a top 8 spot.

https://m.sportsbet.com.au/#/betting/rugby-league/nrl/Top-8-Finish-2018-3646358.html

https://m.sportsbet.com.au/#/betting/rugby-league/nrl/2018-Grand-Final-Winner-3596287.html

The majority of people who are willing to place money on their opinions place Souths at around 9th for next season.