What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top Loader vs Front Loader Washing Machines

Got an F&P front loader. Good machine. Cheap on power and water, got a direct drive motor which is warranted for 10 years IIRC.

Just stay away Electrolux, my last front loader lasted 4 years from brand new and the drum motor was pulley type and as loud as anything on the spin cycle. Control board shit itself and it was going to cost me a pretty penny to get someone to come out and replace it so I just did away with the merkin of a thing.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Got an Aqualtis (Ariston)front loader earlier in the year, 1st front loaded machine I have used. Never going back to the top loader now, it does everything so much better.
I probably use about 4 times less water and washing powder than I ever have. Highly recommend front loader washing machines..
Strangely enough, this Hotpoint top loader has its name on the door but Aqualtis on the control panel.

Just another case of different brands being in the same bed.

Lambretta

First Grade
I have a top loader and it's been fine

I grew up in England, so front loaders were always the norm
No one I knew in England born since 1965 had even seen a top loader anywhere except on old American films or in a museum. But I came here and that's what people had and they seem to clean my clothes so I accepted them

I have bought a few new washing machines since I came to Oz and have always gone for top loaders. Mainly because they're cheaper to buy and the Missus is used to them.

I would be happy switching if I needed to.

Pretty sure I have only ever had Fisher and Paykel machines in Oz.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Front loader owner here too, when I purchased my home unit it already had a Whirlpool front loader so I used that till it died, it was already quite an old machine when I moved in. Purchased an LG front loader after the Whirlpool died and couldn't be happier, had it for about 8 years now and no problems, virtually lint free clothes. Being in a unit the washer is in my kitchen so the size works out perfectly.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Front loader owner here too, when I purchased my home unit it already had a Whirlpool front loader so I used that till it died, it was already quite an old machine when I moved in. Purchased an LG front loader after the Whirlpool died and couldn't be happier, had it for about 8 years now and no problems, virtually lint free clothes. Being in a unit the washer is in my kitchen so the size works out perfectly.
I can admire the fact that front loaders are spatially economical when it comes to limited space in your laundry or wherever when you are using a dryer as well. Just plonk it on top.

Horrie, I suppose you have to use some sort of tap adaptor when it comes to connecting the water to the machine. I had to do the same the thing with a dishwasher once where there was no facility to put it under the benchtop. And they aren't cheap either - around $75 from memory.

horrie hastings

First Grade
I can admire the fact that front loaders are spatially economical when it comes to limited space in your laundry or wherever when you are using a dryer as well. Just plonk it on top.

Horrie, I suppose you have to use some sort of tap adaptor when it comes to connecting the water to the machine. I had to do the same the thing with a dishwasher once where there was no facility to put it under the benchtop. And they aren't cheap either - around $75 from memory.

It has a proper cold water tap where the machine is so no need for an adaptor. I do have a laundry which I could use down stairs out back with my own power source but prefer to have the machine in the kitchen seeing how the other 3 units in my part of the block treat the laundry room.
Am thinking of having my kitchen redone over the next few years but would always keep the washer in the kitchen because I do have plenty of space, would get the plumbing redone so I can put a dish washer in also because there is a perfect space for it also

Parents have an LG front loader, they've had it for 13/14 years now without a single issue. Mind you mum is pretty stringent about cleaning the pump filter and doing drum cleans.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member

My front loader has the identical tap connection as the top loader did.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Parents have an LG front loader, they've had it for 13/14 years now without a single issue. Mind you mum is pretty stringent about cleaning the pump filter and doing drum cleans.
Most important is preventive maintenance.

I've been given numerous top loaders that have apparently shit themselves due to not pumping out after the initial wash cycle. The problem is always the same - a foreign object jamming the pump impeller.

The main culprits are coins, screws/nails and underwire bra thingys. Takes about 10 minutes to fix max.

Sold them all on Ebay or Gumtree for an hourly rate of about $1500. One was a two month old 10 kg Haier which I got about $500 for.

some11

Referee
Fisher & Paykel WashSmart FL

Has a gazillion settings but only ever use 30min run with cold water on highest spin setting.

If you're set on a top loader just get a Speed Queen and be done with it, should outlive you.

horrie hastings

First Grade

Hope I get that long out of it or even longer :D I clean it with bi car soda and vinegar every now and then which brings it up a treat.
My Westinghouse chest freezer is coming up to 27 years old now, I want to replace it with a smaller one but wont while its still running as good as the day I bought it.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Hope I get that long out of it or even longer :D I clean it with bi car soda and vinegar every now and then which brings it up a treat.
My Westinghouse chest freezer is coming up to 27 years old now, I want to replace it with a smaller one but wont while its still running as good as the day I bought it.
Chemistry is your friend. Good stuff!

Latest posts