What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 RLWC - B - W3 - NZL 22-28 TON @ Hamilton

Result: NZL v TON

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GongPanther

Referee
Good match.Although it has to be said that the scenario that NZ would be playing Oz anyway,and it would be best if they did play them in a semi,has been played out before.

Iafeta

Referee
Hopefully Fifita, JT, and Taka never pull on another kiwi or Aussie jumper.

Especially JT. He is an absolute superstar and if he declares he is only playing for Tonga it will force the NRL’s hand in backing more pac nation tests

I for one will be sweet with those blokes never stepping foot inside a Kiwis camp. Truthfully I don't care that they went with Tonga, but the gutless last second text message approach isn't acceptable.

Especially JT. He is an absolute superstar and if he declares he is only playing for Tonga it will force the NRL’s hand in backing more pac nation tests
Just let anyone who plays Juniors in NSW or QLD play origin and for any other country they are eligible for. Its simple f**king stuff

Storm13

Juniors

Think the days of relying on rep payments to entice some players maybe be over. Need fixtures to be put in place though.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Great game.

Makes the finals a lot more interesting imo. Tonga and England will be a fun semi to watch rather than eng vs nz for the 20th time.

Playing Australia in the semis rather than final doesn't really mean much in the grand scheme of things.

There's no scenario where NZ win the WC without beating Australia and while it's unlikely they will beat Australia - on the day anything can happen.

beave

Coach
Imagine that. A bunch of lads who lacked the balls to face their coach, call their coach, but instead text their coach as he was about to name the team are lauded as heroes. I guess scum can be rewarded.

I dunno mate, maybe Lolo forgot to text the coach.........you know, like how the coach forgot that Jason was on the bench last year in the test match in Perth......

And Fatfita probably ate his phone.....

wibble

Bench
NZ lost their way midway through the 2nd half, and Tonga threw caution to the wind and looked much better for it.

Tongan forwards were great all game, as you'd expect, but Tongan backs and halves were much better 2nd half.

NZ weren't bad, the game was close, and NZ were better for much of it, but really paid for a few poor plays and a bad 10 minutes. Tonga would beat most teams on that effort, and showing that willingness to throw it around, if the passes stick. Assuming we get a Tonga v England semi, that could be a cracker as well.

elyod138

Bench
Tackler fell off. Try everyday of the week.

Good to see the traitors being shown up by their replacements. Loved Snake Fusitua being shown up for the first try.

Cmon NZ, show no mercy.
Loved Tapines run under the sticks, Taumalolo arm grabbed about 14 times in one play. Keep showing them up. Never let them back in the black jumper.
Tonga embarrassed the pretenders. Taumalolo tore them a new arsehole.

Iafeta

Referee
He did. I don't think that's in question for me. I question the timing and method of his backflip. And others too.

Raiderdave

First Grade
NZ need to get past Fiji first. Dont think they wont think they are a shot.

true
the Fijians aren't mugs
that was always going to be compulsory viewing that 1/4 final
although we thought it was going to be Tonga V Fiji
its now going to be NZ V Fiji
a drippingingly interesting contest

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I for one will be sweet with those blokes never stepping foot inside a Kiwis camp. Truthfully I don't care that they went with Tonga, but the gutless last second text message approach isn't acceptable.

I hear where you're comming from Ifaeta, but did Kidwell think to contact JT earlier?

He played for Tonga in last World Cup.

As I understand he gets 30k a game to play for NZ and a nice red kit to play for Tonga.

His decision wasn't financially based.

How does a coach not talk to see what their stars are upto?

I have more questions about Kidwell than I do JT.

He's taken NZ from the top to mid tier.

Iafeta

Referee
Iirc Antilag, he had been contacted by the selectors - they were talking to him through the finals.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Iirc Antilag, he had been contacted by the selectors - they were talking to him through the finals.
Got reports of this? Cos I havn't seen anything like this. And has JT confirmed talking to selectors during finals?

mozza91

Coach
Amazing game. So much quality on display. NZ were brilliant in the 1st half and Tonga even better in the 2nd.

Taumalolo, Fifita and SST really proved their worth. Johnson, JWH and Tapau went missing when it mattered for NZ. I'm bias but they looked way more dangerous with Levi at rake than they did with Leulaui.

Last edited: