What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldPanther

Coach
Yep, Not up there with old Moyza though... apparently.

To be fair, we were talking about FG kicking. Which I still don’t think Moyza is still not as good.

Well JT did kick one to win a GF. Matty was my favourite Panther but he'd need to hit his potential consistently to be better than JT at pretty much anything.

mxlegend99

Referee
I'm not comparing or arguing Moylan v Maloney. I'm arguing the notion that Moylan was some sort of immortal at this club & he should be respected not 'dumped' on.

The guy got to 50% of his potential, not due to injury but due to attitude off & on the field. I've said it multiple times but Gus swept a hell of a lot under the carpet with the bloke.

Anyway, John is right, Moylan has left. Good riddance, lets move on.

You try to talk him down by focusing on his what you perceive to be a weakness for a half. But that weakness exists in most halves and some of the games elite are even worse than him.

We saw what he was capable of after Origin in 2016. He was arguably the form player in the competition between Origin 3 and us being eliminated. That was the opinion of pretty much everyone in the media. They were convinced he could lead us to the grand final. As were the majority of people here... If that was only 50% of his potential than he could be the greatest player in the history of the game if he hit 100%.

Since people seem to only remember what suits them, let's take a look at his last few games:

Moylan in his last 4 games of 2016: 7 try assists and 10 linebreak assists (that's 2 regular games, and 2 finals matches)
Maloney in 25 games of 2016 has 9 try assists and 10 linebreak assists. (that's regular season, finals and grand final)

Moylan in 4 games nearly equalled an entire season of playmaking in which Maloney won a grand final. His 27 linebreak assist put him 3 ahead of Shaun Johnson and Johnathon Thurston... and he did so in 21 games to their 24.

That is the Matt Moylan that clubs were all interested in signing. For our sake I hope he never goes back to his potential. You say he only ever got halfway there. But in 2016 he didn't have much higher he could have gone. Daley picking him at 6 gave him some sort of extra confidence in his ability and he just took control of the team.

mxlegend99

Referee
Well JT did kick one to win a GF. Matty was my favourite Panther but he'd need to hit his potential consistently to be better than JT at pretty much anything.
Michael Gordon is my all time favorite Panther.

Sharks keep taking good ones from us. Gordon. Lewis. Moylan and Graham. All recent and all players I loved. Aside from Gordon all locally developed too.

That said we probably lost Gordon at the perfect time. After his knee injuries he was just never the same. Still a damn handy player with a lot to offer, but not worth what it would have cost to keep him or who we might have lost to do so.

I like to think not loving the Sharks jersey played a part in never being as good too. But realistically it was his legs. Losing that bit of pace and strength. I think it also affected his goal kicking accuracy. Not a huge drop, but it was noticeable that he never reached those heights again.

mxlegend99

Referee
Yep, Not up there with old Moyza though... apparently.

To be fair, we were talking about FG kicking. Which I still don’t think Moyza is still not as good.
Pretty impossible to compare really. Looking at wiki we have:

Matt Moylan - 8 field goals
Jonathon Thurston - 16 field goals
Cooper Cronk - 20 field goals
James Maloney - 17 field goals

What it doesn't show is:
How many attempts each player has taken (if you kicked 20 from 100 attempts it's pretty shit. if you kicked 16 from 20 though that's insane)
How many were to win matches or just add icing to the cake
How many actually resulted in a win

Then you have weird games like Panthers vs Storm 2014:
Cronk kicks a field goal to lead
Wallace kicks a field goal to level it
Cronk kicks a field goal to lead again. He kicked 3 field goals all year, 2 in 1 game against us

So right there Cronk hasn't won 20 games with field goals, it drops to 19... i doubt he has ever actually lost while kicking one. Storm just don't seem to lose those games.

Pretty sure Chris Sandow held some sort of record for kicking field goals and losing. His teams lead by a decent margin first half, he kicked one first half and went on to lose. But again, that's just from memory.

OldPanther

Coach
You try to talk him down by focusing on his what you perceive to be a weakness for a half. But that weakness exists in most halves and some of the games elite are even worse than him.

We saw what he was capable of after Origin in 2016. He was arguably the form player in the competition between Origin 3 and us being eliminated. That was the opinion of pretty much everyone in the media. They were convinced he could lead us to the grand final. As were the majority of people here... If that was only 50% of his potential than he could be the greatest player in the history of the game if he hit 100%.

Since people seem to only remember what suits them, let's take a look at his last few games:

Moylan in his last 4 games of 2016: 7 try assists and 10 linebreak assists (that's 2 regular games, and 2 finals matches)
Maloney in 25 games of 2016 has 9 try assists and 10 linebreak assists. (that's regular season, finals and grand final)

Moylan in 4 games nearly equalled an entire season of playmaking in which Maloney won a grand final. His 27 linebreak assist put him 3 ahead of Shaun Johnson and Johnathon Thurston... and he did so in 21 games to their 24.

That is the Matt Moylan that clubs were all interested in signing. For our sake I hope he never goes back to his potential. You say he only ever got halfway there. But in 2016 he didn't have much higher he could have gone. Daley picking him at 6 gave him some sort of extra confidence in his ability and he just took control of the team.

This is the Moylan I normally reference.

Good news. I'm hoping he gets our utility spot if Katoa replaces Wallace as starting hooker.

Now that May as re-signed I’m thinking that’s bad news for either Peachey or Blake.

Whare seemingly has one centre spot locked down due to the length of his deal, if Blake plays the other position then there really isn’t a untility role for Peachey.

franklin2323

Immortal
Now that May as re-signed I’m thinking that’s bad news for either Peachey or Blake.

Whare seemingly has one centre spot locked down due to the length of his deal, if Blake plays the other position then there really isn’t a untility role for Peachey.

Peachey would be on my full strength bench. May would of cheaper though and if Kikau brings his current form into next season then Peachey/Katoa fight for the last bench spot. If Katoa gets it wouldn't be long until Peachey wants out if he is still in NSW Cup by mid season.

Personally I'd start Katoa/Peachey on the bench and have Wallace in NSW Cup but it won't happen.

betcats

Referee
Mays signing is not going to force anyone out he’s out half the year with an acl, he wasn’t in demand.

Luke Bowden

First Grade

I don’t think so, they play different spots. I may will spend a lot of time in Reggie’s.

I don’t think so, they play different spots. I may will spend a lot of time in Reggie’s.

They’re pretty similar to me. Obviously Peachey is much quicker, but both are back row utilities really.

Either guy on the bench would be the go to to fill various positions. I doubt they’d both be on the bench is really my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.