What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RLWC2017 Crowd Watch

Stallion

First Grade
I would say to fill the ground tickets needed to be cheaper....and as game day approached the organisers needed to be proactive to fill the stadiums.
They treated the tournament as a cash cow to fund RLIF development which is fair enough but they needed to be realistic....we are not the soccer WC or even the union one. So we should have been priced accordingly to fill the ground then the feel good factor would have come and we wouldn't have given ammo to the knockers who always line up for pot shots.

Very true. And exactly the stance that should have been taken.

expansionist

Juniors
im pretty much as big an international RL fan as you can get.. Went to Townsville, Cairns, then Townsville, then Auckland, Brisbane Semi....

BUT the prices were too expensive!

The prices for the GF were $175 a ticket, and NO concessions in that category, so for me and my 8 year old and my 6 year old i had to buy 3 x $175 adult tickets.

Stallion

First Grade
im pretty much as big an international RL fan as you can get.. Went to Townsville, Cairns, then Townsville, then Auckland, Brisbane Semi....

BUT the prices were too expensive!

The prices for the GF were $175 a ticket, and NO concessions in that category, so for me and my 8 year old and my 6 year old i had to buy 3 x $175 adult tickets.

That is alarmingly exhorbitant! The organisers were idiots if they think price gouging for this world cup was a cash grab opportunity instead of a goodwill event adding momentum to the code growing internationally. AMAZING INCOMPETENCE and lack of foresight!

deal.with.it

Juniors
Paid $70 to sit on half way in third tier. About 200 spare seats above me on the western? side.
Don't know why others didn't attend. Paid $40 to watch nrl in similar seats.
---
You can't compare to 2013. I got great tickets on 30m for final for £20. No wonder it sold out.
---
We need to make good decisions now.

Emu01

Juniors
They nearly ruined the whole World Cup by price gouging the fans. Shame on them.

I’d rather them drop the price and have full stadiums than have the game embarrassed like it was in the semi and final..

Perth Red

Post Whore
PRs roundabout way of conceding the ticket prices were too high! At least he's acknowledged it in his own way I suppose.

Yeh I didn’t realise hw sht Australian rl fans really are and that you really do have to devalue the tournament, screw your profits and give tickets at knock down prices just to get people to turn up to a once in a 12year major sporting event. Hopefully Sth Africa will bid for 2029and we won’t be embarrassed by Australia again for at least20 years!

Perth Red

Post Whore
So much good on the field about this World Cup and the organisers f**k it up royally.

Those players deserved nothing short of a full house tonight.

Maybe people will finally wake up tojust how sht the ARL commision and nrl managemnt really is. They have failed on every strategic goal and this is just the final nail in the coffin of the 2012-2017 stategic plan.

Stallion

First Grade
Yeh I didn’t realise hw sht Australian rl fans really are and that you really do have to devalue the tournament, screw your profits and give tickets at knock down prices just to get people to turn up to a once in a 12year major sporting event. Hopefully Sth Africa will bid for 2029and we won’t be embarrassed by Australia again for at least20 years!

Its the same for the NRL! Appropriate ticket prices especially with a tournanent out of season in the case of this world cup. Instead we have people whom took no notice of those who knew and the game was embarrased internationally. Poor crowd outcomes for a code that deserves better.

Stallion

First Grade
Look at all them empty seats at the cricket. Tickets must have been expensive!

Lol. Still haven't learnt the lesson! ? Those empty seats have been pre sold to a mostly totally different demographic. RL is in a different scenario (given that its not even recognised as a sport in some circles etc) Take the medicine PR. You have been decent enough to concede the mistake at least learn from it. Wonder if these RL marketing "geniuses" will? That's the big question and answer from this crowd number debacle!

Last edited:

Raiderdave

First Grade
Lol. Still haven't learnt the lesson! ? Those empty seats have been pre sold to a totally different demographic. RL is in a different scenario (given that its not even recognised as a sport in some circles etc) Take the medicine PR. You have been decent enough to concede the mistake at least learn from it. Wonder if these RL marketing "geniuses" will? That's the big question and answer from this crowd number debacle!

a different demographic ?
what are you babbling about
RL is NOT a different scenario at all , just like cricket , it is one of the leading sports in this nation

the issue was the public perception of international RL which is poor
it competes like its a different sport with club football & origin
we love seeing Cam Smith in a Storm Jersey or a QLD one & pay huge money to do so .. yet won't watch him in an Australian one
Marketing the world cup as cheap entertainment is not the answer either , because it will always play 3rd fiddle if we do

Stallion

First Grade
a different demographic ?
what are you babbling about
RL is NOT a different scenario at all , just like cricket , it is one of the leading sports in this nation

the issue was the public perception of international RL which is poor
it competes like its a different sport with club football & origin
we love seeing Cam Smith in a Storm Jersey or a QLD one & pay huge money to do so .. yet won't watch him in an Australian one
Marketing the world cup as cheap entertainment is not the answer either , because it will always play 3rd fiddle if we do

Reasonable priced tickets were not offered for the major games of this world cup. The crowd figures reflect this issue. Guarantee if tickets and their availability were cheaper and fairer then crowds would have achieved pre tournament estimates. This did not happen.

Stallion

First Grade
Stallion, I can see where you're coming from mate but we all realise that you think tickets were overpriced. Any chance you can make a post about the WC without mentioning ticket prices?

It's constructive criticism. But yes I'll lay off. The point is very valid and damaged the image of the code to millions of viewers. So it has been worth labouring this point. Onto the next mistake I suppose. Btw I have tried to mention the impressive RLWC tv ratings as much as possible so would u like me to cease that as well?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Reasonable priced tickets were not offered for the major games of this world cup. The crowd figures reflect this issue. Guarantee if tickets and their availability were cheaper and fairer then crowds would have achieved pre tournament estimates. This did not happen.

Untrue, majority of games were priced $20-60. That is very reasonable. Really only the big games that had unreasonable lower end priced tickets in hindsight. I had no problems what so ever paying $160 for a seat on the half way line for a final.

No amount of cheapening of tickets can cover for poor marketing and negative or non existent media.

Interestingly last night the majority of the empty seats were in the corners which were the $70 cheap seats.

Stallion

First Grade
Untrue, majority of games were priced $20-60. That is very reasonable. Really only the big games that had unreasonable lower end priced tickets in hindsight. I had no problems what so ever paying $160 for a seat on the half way line for a final.

No amount of cheapening of tickets can cover for poor marketing and negative or non existent media.

Interestingly last night the majority of the empty seats were in the corners which were the $70 cheap seats.

A wasted and misleading rebuttal PR! I had clearly mentioned main games not all games. Let's get it right champ.