What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Break out star for 2018?

Thadius

Juniors
The thing that really tells me Gagai is a winger is that throughout his whole rep career even through injuries and playing weak teams the coaches havent even considered moving him from the wing. It's because good coaches know he can be just as much if not more of a threat on the wing than at centre. Its the same case with valentine holmes being moved back to wing. Some players are just that good at wing that they make it look like an important position. Just my 2 cents. However I know the coach will probably play him at centre which I think could be a mistake.

I feel Gagai looks great on the wing because he sits there in a red hot Qld or Kangaroos back line and I believe many others would as well.

Our issue is that we have no centres if we stick him out there, so who would feed him?

I would be stunned if he ended up on the wing in Round 1 given what Seibold has already said about he and Inglis and where they will play. I hope it's centre and nothing else.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I feel Gagai looks great on the wing because he sits there in a red hot Qld or Kangaroos back line and I believe many others would as well.

Our issue is that we have no centres if we stick him out there, so who would feed him?

I would be stunned if he ended up on the wing in Round 1 given what Seibold has already said about he and Inglis and where they will play. I hope it's centre and nothing else.

That's a fair point actually. He does play in 2 great sides. However his kick returning ability is something that I think we're severely lacking in our squad.

As for centres that could feed him I think that's up to the pre season to decide. I very much think both the centre spots are up for grabs. At this stage I would put Fuimaono and Hunt there. They are both very solid defensively and can easily build on their ball playing skills. Fuimaono did a great job at centre in his last 7 or so games.

I think Gagai will definitely be in the centres round 1 but whether or not that's best for the team is debatable. He has been known to be a pretty average defender at centre. If you haven't watched much of him I suggest you watch some highlights of knights games. Ultimately I'm happy to have him at any position in the backline as he is a massive upgrade on our current stock. I just feel as if wing is best to suit his attacking prowess whilst in a way covering his defensive flaws.

Thadius

Juniors
That's a fair point actually. He does play in 2 great sides. However his kick returning ability is something that I think we're severely lacking in our squad.

As for centres that could feed him I think that's up to the pre season to decide. I very much think both the centre spots are up for grabs. At this stage I would put Fuimaono and Hunt there. They are both very solid defensively and can easily build on their ball playing skills. Fuimaono did a great job at centre in his last 7 or so games.

I think Gagai will definitely be in the centres round 1 but whether or not that's best for the team is debatable. He has been known to be a pretty average defender at centre. If you haven't watched much of him I suggest you watch some highlights of knights games. Ultimately I'm happy to have him at any position in the backline as he is a massive upgrade on our current stock. I just feel as if wing is best to suit his attacking prowess whilst in a way covering his defensive flaws.

I have watched Gagai in the Knight's games and he looks less effective because they are an ordinary side, unlike the Maroons & Roos. It conjures the old saying, "you can't soar like an eagle if you fly with turkeys".

Fuimaono is solid but looks a backrower to me. Hunt is just ordinary and his defence is also ordinary, like most of our centres, sadly.

Gagai simply has to be one centre, but where do we find another decent one, that is the question. It's looking like Jennings and maybe he might make it down the track, but we really are one decent centre short.

doyen

Bench
GI is a far more experienced player than AJ------GI will control things better from FB than AJ--------GI reads the game much better;especially in defence.

Even on one leg GI would be a better proposition than AJ at FB due to his organisational skills & his ability to read the game.
GI will be Capt. & he will play where he so desires!!

AJ is a star winger & GI is best utilised in the spine at FB!!

Pedge1971

First Grade
Ploddy McPlodder will be the bunnies new star in 2018.

Good luck with Gagai at centre. He is a turnstile. He will be soaring with yiu turkeys in 2018.....

rabbitohs95

Bench
Ploddy McPlodder will be the bunnies new star in 2018.

Good luck with Gagai at centre. He is a turnstile. He will be soaring with yiu turkeys in 2018.....
Lol he was chopping down the likes of Uate and Hayne and Milne on Friday night, not to mention the fact he'll be in a side that actually has NRL quality players around him.

Scored a couple of pretty nice tries too might I add.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Lol he was chopping down the likes of Uate and Hayne and Milne on Friday night, not to mention the fact he'll be in a side that actually has NRL quality players around him.

All Newcastle fans hate him. His club level performances at centre weren't too crash hot. However he is an attacking weapon. Any fan who denies that is kidding themselves. Just needs to fix his defensive flaws.

Pedge1971

First Grade

On the wing. That is his position. Slightly more complex defensive decisions to be made from centre and he doesnt make the right ones.

rabbitohs95

Bench
On the wing. That is his position. Slightly more complex defensive decisions to be made from centre and he doesnt make the right ones.
He was still coming infield and making some good tackles, plus one of his tries was infield stepping the defence.

doyen

Bench
All Newcastle fans hate him. His club level performances at centre weren't too crash hot. However he is an attacking weapon. Any fan who denies that is kidding themselves. Just needs to fix his defensive flaws.

Well,Dane must have a lot of good judges fooled if some are suggesting he is not so good.

He's won the "Man of the Series" in SOO which is the pinnacle award in RL !!

You don't achieve that status unless you're a class performer!!

Rabbitoad

Juniors
:joy: Knights fan having a cry.

How is any outside back meant to look good playing behind Newcastle's pack and halves? :joy:

Pedge1971

First Grade
:joy: Knights fan having a cry.

How is any outside back meant to look good playing behind Newcastle's pack and halves? :joy:

About the same as they will go at your rabble mate. As I said good luck with Dane. He will be a sensation on your wing but if you play him centre you will be disappointed.

Rabbitoad

Juniors
About the same as they will go at your rabble mate. As I said good luck with Dane. He will be a sensation on your wing but if you play him centre you will be disappointed.
:joy:

Games won by Souths in the last 3 seasons- 31

Games won by Newcastle in the last 3 seasons- 14

If we're a "rabble" what does that make your club? :joy:

Last edited:

Pablooo

Juniors
I went down and watched a few training sessions and was bowled over by the training performances of Connor Tracey. He would have to be near the fittest player in the squad. He was finishing first in most sessions and looked the fittest and liveliest. If his injuries hold up he willl put pressure on Reyno and Walker for a halves position.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I went down and watched a few training sessions and was bowled over by the training performances of Connor Tracey. He would have to be near the fittest player in the squad. He was finishing first in most sessions and looked the fittest and liveliest. If his injuries hold up he willl put pressure on Reyno and Walker for a halves position.

That’s exactly what I want to hear. Reynolds has had no pressure for a long time. I heard Tracey and Cook are really hard trainers.

De tmTrajic

Juniors
That’s exactly what I want to hear. Reynolds has had no pressure for a long time. I heard Tracey and Cook are really hard trainers.

I have posted many times that Cody has NOT convinced me. I understand he does create moments. Has the skill & speed to set up play but if you are hoing to be honest, tell me if you believe, he is a top 8 half.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I have posted many times that Cody has NOT convinced me. I understand he does create moments. Has the skill & speed to set up play but if you are hoing to be honest, tell me if you believe, he is a top 8 half.

Look I’ll be completely honest with you. There are many 5/8ths in the competition that are better than Cody. Off the top of my head I’ll say Widdop, Keary, Morgan, Munster, Maloney are definitely better than him. I’d put him on the same level as Anthony Milford.

But if we’re being fair here Cody has been f**ked around for the majority of this year being put in fullback for a fair few games. If Cody gets the full season at 5/8th I think he can lead us to a finals spot. It was obvious that we were a different team with Cody at 5/8th. We didn’t play boring footy. There are definitely a few things I would like to see Cody improve on though. Kicking and ball playing are two of the biggest.