What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New NRL Supporter (need team to support)

NikGaz98

Juniors
I will be watching the NRL full-time, starting with the upcoming season.

The problem is, I need a team to support. Another problem, I'm from the U.S, and I'm not sure if any NRL teams have fanbases here.

Out of curiosity, what NRL teams are popular with fans in the U.S (or outside of Australia)

Panfas

Juniors
A few questions first:

- What city do you live in? Is it coastal or rural?
- Would you prefer a team that buys superstars, or a team that nurtures their own players?
- What is your favourite colour and animal?

adamkungl

Immortal
I'd suggest just watching some games through the year and picking up on players or teams that you enjoy watching.
I picked Cardinals in the NFL because I enjoyed watching Larry Fitzgerald in a Superbowl. Which they lost. And have been largely rubbish ever since.

Or pick the coolest colours/mascot.
I decided on Penguins in the NHL just coz Penguins are cool as f**k
Then they immediately won back 2 back Cups so yeah, this method is flawless. Ignore my first suggestion.

NikGaz98

Juniors
I became a Liverpool supporter (Premier League soccer) in 2013, through the magic of a team generator that matched you up with a Premier League team based off questions.

I'd suggest just watching some games through the year and picking up on players or teams that you enjoy watching

Or pick the coolest colours/mascot.
I decided on Penguins in the NHL just coz Penguins are cool as f**k
Then they immediately won back 2 back Cups so yeah, this method is flawless.

The_Shield

Juniors
It really depends on what type of team your looking for. If you want a top team that is always in Championship contender status then you gotta look at the likes of the Storm, Cowboys, Broncos, Roosters. If you want a team on the up I would suggest the likes of the Knights or Titans.

But yeah like others have said the best way is to watch and let the team pick you. You’ll know when it’s right. Just like me when I was choosing an NFL team to follow, I tried to get behind a few teams like the Cowboys, Steelers, Seahawks but none of them felt right for me and now I’m a Chiefs fan

Lambretta

First Grade
You could choose a team which has the same colours as the team you support
Maple Leaves are Blue and White, the Bulldogs are Blue and White
Or you could choose St George as they have the Canadian colours of Red and White

Or do as Adam suggested and watch a few games before choosing a team you like

FYI, The Sydney Roosters, Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs, South Sydney, Manly Warringah Sea Eagles, Cronulla Sharks, Parramatta Eels, Penrith Panthers, Wests Tigers and St George Illawarra Dragons are all Sydney based clubs

The teams outside of Sydney are New Zealand Warriors, Canberra Raiders, Newcastle Knights, Brisbane Broncos, Gold Coast Titans, Melbourne Storm and North Queensland Cowboys

How are the games being aired over there? How many per week?

I am a Roosters / Eastern Suburbs supporter, the same as Adam
We're the equal oldest team in the competition and have played every season since 1908
In all that time we've managed 13 Premierships. We're generally considered the least likeable of all the clubs. It's something to do with wine, coffee and money but I'll let you make up your own mind

Souths are historically the most successful club with 21 Premierships to their name, but they've only won 1 since 1971 (in 2014)

Of all the teams to have won a Premiership, the Eels have gone the longest without but have a good side this season.
Newcastle have been horrible for a few years, but they're building a brilliant young team and are on the up
Melbourne are the current Premiers and have been the most successful club over recent years but their main stars are ageing.
Cronulla went 48 years without a Premiership from their inception, but they finally won it in 2016
New Zealand are what we in Australia refer to as under achievers.
Penrith can't decide what colour they're supposed to play in. So if you want to follow a club who are utterly unsure of their own identity, I'd choose them

Good luck

Marlins

Juniors
The Brisbane Broncos is the only answer.
- Honest hard working club
- Brisbane RL capital of the world
- Brisbane area produces the best players and then they’re taken away by greedy Sydney clubs.
- Broncos abide by the salary cap unlike many Sydney clubs clubs Manly, Bulldogs Eels etc.
- in the best state QLD. Which if you’re picking a state side QLD is a no brainer.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Just go Panthers mate ;)

But seriously, my Dad is American (Louisville KY) and he chose the Bunnies, simply because of the Russell Crowe ownership (the Hollywood connections as he called it)

Rife

Juniors
Don't support one team in particular. Take a general interest in all 16 teams and only give a shit about what happens during the 80 minutes and nothing else.

Angry_eel

First Grade
Parramatta area is an immigrants paradise. One more won't hurt(even if you're a virtual immigrant)! Come my friend, sing hymms with us while we wait for Moses to part the sea and deliver us to the promised land. In Moses we trust. Amen!

1500792131259.jpg