What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scotland boss resigns

Pommy

Coach
Its not just because! The set up is not geares toward rugby league. For instance if rugby league had access to schools it would be a different scenario. But it doesn't!

Why doesn’t rugby league have access to schools? I don’t think there’s a policy stopping schools playing rugby league.

Knownothing

Juniors
Why doesn’t rugby league have access to schools? I don’t think there’s a policy stopping schools playing rugby league.

The old schools, like the old universities, are very much bound by tradition. Guess which is the traditional code?

This is not about policy, it is about tradition.

Pommy

Coach
The old schools, like the old universities, are very much bound by tradition. Guess which is the traditional code?

Yeah I totally get that but there’s a whole heap of normal schools that have no allegiance to a rugby code. Schools stacked with holders from very working class children, the exact people our sports prides itself on being for. Not being played at Eton hasn’t held the game back in England.

Stallion

First Grade

Yet it seems the old traditional schools of Australia are accepting codes like AFL and still no rugby league ? Biggotry at work in a very influential way!

Stallion

First Grade
Yeah I totally get that but there’s a whole heap of normal schools that have no allegiance to a rugby code. Schools stacked with holders from very working class children, the exact people our sports prides itself on being for. Not being played at Eton hasn’t held the game back in England.

? "Hasn't held the game back in England " Rugby league has been forever trying to expand from its northern English area and has had little success! I'd suggest that not having such elite private school presence has a detrimental effect that flows on to the detriment of rugby league expanding to other areas of England. The elite private school set up fosters well connected and affluent support through funding and necessarily positive media exposure. It makes a big difference for a code like rugby league that deserves genuine expansion.

Stallion

First Grade
Does Laurie’s son go to school in a Sydney in scotland? If not I’m not sure what relevance it has to RL not having a fair go in Scotland.

I am aware of the petition and I signed it. Although it seems the sport hasn’t met the required standard yet hence the none recognition. It’s not a conspiracy.

Lol!Head in sand stuff from you! So you don't see rugby league as a sport!? Because that is what this ridiculous organization's stance is? Perhaps table top dancing and foot golf have rugby league's measure!? Amazing!
With respect to the Australian example I think this bigotry against the code is not isolated. So Scotland would necessarily harness such a poor regard as informed for this underachieving football code of rugby league.
Another quick digression : Last night I met and chatted with a young educated Irish lady on a work visa in my town of Newcastle. I asked her if she liked rugby league. She said "I love it!" I mentioned some instances of where the sport had been banned and not deemed eligible for government funding in places like France and South Africa. I also infomed of the two Aussies that wanted to play amateur rugby league after playing the rugby union season in Ireland and the Irish RU official telling these men "You can play any other sport except for rugby league ". The Irish lady was visibly taken aback by this information and remarked "I had no idea this sort of thing was going on? It's terrible!" I concluded the conversation with "At least you know now what's been going on behind the scenes and why rugby league doesn't seem so big elsewhere around the world. "

Last edited:

Knownothing

Juniors
Yet it seems the old traditional schools of Australia are accepting codes like AFL and still no rugby league ? Biggotry at work in a very influential way!

That is probably because AFL is seen as a totally different code. It as also been played at the GPS schools in the southern states since the year dot. As has rugby union, in some of them, too.

Those games have been around for a long time. That is tradition, not bigotry.

Stallion

First Grade
That is probably because AFL is seen as a totally different code. It as also been played at the GPS schools in the southern states since the year dot. As has rugby union, in some of them, too.

Those games have been around for a long time. That is tradition, not bigotry.

So rugby league hasnt been around for a long time ? I suggest that over 100 years is a good stint. Im aware that rugby league is the youngster amongst these codes. Surely age should not be a barrier? I think bigotry is the root of this "exclusion" of rugby league in such schools.

Last edited:

roughyedspud

Coach
The RFL cut funding of a development officer a few years ago which has seen the game go backwards in Scotland.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/13133362.Funding_blow_for_Scottish_body/

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/scotland-rl-chairman-hits-out-at-rfl/
What the Scottish RL didn't do,what they should have done after the RFL,quiet rightly,cut funding is seek funding from other sources..

Sport Scotland is the Scottish government sports funding agency..it's there job to fund Scottish RL in the manner the RFL did...likewise it's the job of the RLIF/RLEF to give out grants to fund developing nations..

Scotland are going backwards because they didn't pick up the ball and run it with...Wales did,Ireland look like they finally are....and Scotland are still looking at the floor.

Stallion

First Grade
What the Scottish RL didn't do,what they should have done after the RFL,quiet rightly,cut funding is seek funding from other sources..

Sport Scotland is the Scottish government sports funding agency..it's there job to fund Scottish RL in the manner the RFL did...likewise it's the job of the RLIF/RLEF to give out grants to fund developing nations..

Scotland are going backwards because they didn't pick up the ball and run it with...Wales did,Ireland look like they finally are....and Scotland are still looking at the floor.

Very informative. Thanks.
Looks like poor administration hampers rugby league again! Mind you structural advantages like presence in schools is not afforded rugby league compared to other codes. So the seeds are not there to grow in the first place. Other codes get the free kick and rugby league goes it alone.

Last edited:

DC80

Juniors
And check out how many heritage/resident players the Scotland national team selects. This is a nation with more than 150 years of playing the sport. Soccer is, and always will be, king in Scotland. The thing killing the Scotland soccer team is the same thing that’s killing England’s. The EPL. When I was a kid every top flight English team had at least a couple of Jocks in the starting eleven. You’d struggle to find a couple of Jocks in the whole EPL nowadays. The EPL clubs don’t need to develop players in the way they once did. They have the rest of the world to do that for them.
That's not really true. Most players in the best Scotland national teams of the past played their club football in Scotland. In fact there was a long time when England based Scots, including Alan Hansen in the all conquering Liverpool team, were overlooked for Scots who stayed in Scotland. Therefore the makeup of the English top league hasn't had a significant bearing on changing Scottish fortunes.

What has killed Scotland is the decline in street football where most of the great players of the past developed their skills. Well documented that parks have made way for shopping malls or housing. Throw in the technological age we are living in people are less active - this issue of a lack of playing numbers is more pronounced in Scotland than England due to the lower populous.

Top talent from around the world joining the EPL can only help domestic players as the standard of play is raised. The direct long ball English style is long dead. England have had the talent (Gerrard, Beckham, Scholes, Lampard as good a midfield quartet around), what we don't have is any decent domestic coach to get the best out of them, also there is a lack of unity within the England team due to the club rivalry, something players have spoken about. Fans of England are not united either - good luck trying to get a Manc cheering for a Scouser. Very tribal among both fans and players. The England U17 and U20 youth teams won their World Cups in 2017 so there is a conveyor belt of talent, it's having a set up at senior level that can get the best out of them and create a team unity that will be the big issue.
Its not just because! The set up is not geares toward rugby league. For instance if rugby league had access to schools it would be a different scenario. But it doesn't!
Why should it be geared toward Rugby league? Why not American football? What right does any sport have to demand that it must be played?

The last thing I wanted at school was to be told what sport I was playing.

It's up to Rugby league to grow itself. That means having RL clubs with youth academy's where people can CHOOSE to join if they wish. You can't force people to do something or take an interest in it.

There has never been a better time for people to freely choose what to watch or take an interest in as the options are endless in terms of online access. As has also been mentioned the Super League is on Sky Sports, something many Scots have. What are the viewing figures for Rugby league in Scotland?

DC80

Juniors
It makes a big difference for a code like rugby league that deserves genuine expansion.
It deserves nothing. No sport does. Each sport is responsible for its own development.

RFL cut funding for development officers. I have some sympathy with the RFL here as ideally it wouldnt want to do that. It's a money issue.

You seem to believe Rugby league has a divine right to be massive. Islamists think that way about their religion in the West.

At least you know now what's been going on behind the scenes and why rugby league doesn't seem so big elsewhere around the world. "
Neither is the other rugby code. Both are niche sports, one - RU - slightly less niche. Both are played in outposts of the British Commonwealth, and but for this cultural link they wouldn't be played much at all outside England. In terms of shenanigans both are fighting over the scraps, the same small playing pool and people who are interested in watching the oval ball game. They are two codes of the same sport and will always be in conflict with each other, with RU the aggressor historically.

Collision based sports have always had far lower participation numbers. Running into another human being is an acquired taste. Disclosing my own position I far more enjoy watching it than playing it, and among my friends im one of few that watches it. Other collision sports such as American football, Aussie rules, Gaelic football, they are popular in terms of participation in their own countries as its cultural - it's beyond just sport. In other places where there isn't a cultural tie they are barely played at all, while the viewing numbers are miniscule in comparison to their home country.

As was mentioned on this thread RL was most popular in Scotland in Aberdeen, where many men from RL heartlands in the north of England work offshore, so there is a cultural tie. Take away this cultural tie it would be like much of the rest of Scotland.

It's up to RL - and any other sport - to create a culture in a location, and that's done by doing it themselves. Spending money on clubs and academies for the locals to join. Cutting development officers won't exactly do it. Like any collision sport don't expect large numbers though, as unless it is embedded in the fabric of the place - NFL in the US, Aussie rules in Aus, Gaelic football in Ireland - it won't get significant numbers.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
It deserves nothing. No sport does. Each sport is responsible for its own development.

RFL cut funding for development officers. I have some sympathy with the RFL here as ideally it wouldnt want to do that. It's a money issue.

You seem to believe Rugby league has a divine right to be massive. Islamists think that way about their religion in the West.

Neither is the other rugby code. Both are niche sports, one - RU - slightly less niche. Both are played in outposts of the British Commonwealth, and but for this cultural link they wouldn't be played much at all outside England. In terms of shenanigans both are fighting over the scraps, the same small playing pool and people who are interested in watching the oval ball game. They are two codes of the same sport and will always be in conflict with each other, with RU the aggressor historically.

Collision based sports have always had far lower participation numbers. Running into another human being is an acquired taste. Disclosing my own position I far more enjoy watching it than playing it, and among my friends im one of few that watches it. Other collision sports such as American football, Aussie rules, Gaelic football, they are popular in terms of participation in their own countries as its cultural - it's beyond just sport. In other places where there isn't a cultural tie they are barely played at all, while the viewing numbers are miniscule in comparison to their home country.

As was mentioned on this thread RL was most popular in Scotland in Aberdeen, where many men from RL heartlands in the north of England work offshore, so there is a cultural tie. Take away this cultural tie it would be like much of the rest of Scotland.

It's up to RL - and any other sport - to create a culture in a location, and that's done by doing it themselves. Spending money on clubs and academies for the locals to join. Cutting development officers won't exactly do it. Like any collision sport don't expect large numbers though, as unless it is embedded in the fabric of the place - NFL in the US, Aussie rules in Aus, Gaelic football in Ireland - it won't get significant numbers.

So the various private schools of the world can keep propagating rugby union and not rugbyleague. Your idea of "even playing field for all sport "is pathetic. You are not the sort of guy I would employ for the development of rugby league. Seeking equity is not the wrong thing to do. That is what rugby league deserves. Yes I emphasize rugby league as it is not getting a fair go in most places in my opinion and others agree. Im just stating it. As you conveniently decide to conjure up a misconstrued argument basically stating that nothing untoward against rugby-league is happening. Absolutely ignorant and no empathy for such a great sport. Give yourself an upper cut!

Last edited:

Knownothing

Juniors
If you want your kid to play rugby league, send them to a school which plays rugby league. There are a lot of them.

On the other hand, if you have the money to send your kid to a GPS school, or a CAS school, take it on the chin. Its a free country.

If Laurie Daley wants to choose a school for his kids based on which sports they play, that is up to him.

Most parents could not care less. The ones that do make a lot of noise, and they are almost certainly rah rahs. Leather patches, etc etc.

Stallion

First Grade
If you want your kid to play rugby league, send them to a school which plays rugby league. There are a lot of them.

On the other hand, if you have the money to send your kid to a GPS school, or a CAS school, take it on the chin. Its a free country.

If Laurie Daley wants to choose a school for his kids based on which sports they play, that is up to him.

Most parents could not care less. The ones that do make a lot of noise, and they are almost certainly rah rahs. Leather patches, etc etc.

So from that the Rah rahs get the divine right to dominate elite private schools? Somehow the fact that AFL is accepted and being more accepted into private schools that still have no rugby league is a clear and real inequity example.

Knownothing

Juniors
There is an old saying, you pays your money and you makes your choice. Nothing divine about it. If enough parents wanted the school to play another sport, no doubt that would happen.

Stallion

First Grade
There is an old saying, you pays your money and you makes your choice. Nothing divine about it. If enough parents wanted the school to play another sport, no doubt that would happen.

Dont think you get it! I would be pissed off if I had my kid going to a private school and paying the exhorbitant fees and knowing that no option to play a code of choice existed in that school. It's a simple decision from the school. Give the sport (meaning rugby league in this case) a go! It may improve the noted poor tackling abilities of union players at that particular school. Who knows!? But it would surely reflect a more inclusive sports curriculum from that school. After all rugby league is regarded as a major code in these parts of the world? Unfortunately it's still has lepper like status in such schools with other codes getting the free kick instead. If you don't this is unfair or even odd we absolutely dissagree.