What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial vs Newcastle Thread

TheParraboy

Staff member
They didn’t need ‘great’ players, they just needed genuine first graders. The Knights are a mid-table side this year.

I Should have re worded it differently, they are not great purchases

mid table side is 7th-12th. Highly unlikely they get in that position

We agree to disagree, time will tell

Incorrect

Coach
Put everything you have on us before the bookies make us premiership favourites.
Or put everything on Knights for spoon before likewise ...

In all seriousness, I expect a degree of ruthlessness from us this year, a pack mentality across the field. I expected something similar at the start of 2010 but it never eventuated... BA has opened a premiership window, its 2018 or 2019 IMO. Get it done merkins!!

BTW - I thought Evans was great in his first hit out for the club

forward pass

Coach
I'm calling it already.
Grand Finalists.
Not sure if we'll win it though.

I'm saying this not from only what I saw tonight, but because what BA is building, and has been building since he came on board. This is the best squad we have had for some time in both talent, and certainly depth. It's similar momentum building to what the Sharks did under Flanagan.
It's also going to coincide with the anticipation of returning to the best purpose built small stadium in the country the following season. We are building something seriously decent here.
I have the 1986 feeling all over again. But it could be 2019 when it all comes to fruition.

Yeah i have a good feeling too. We will have Moses for a full season to start with - we improved so much when he joined us last year. Hayne will kill it, Bevan will be brilliant and Gutho to come back. I just hope injuries don't cruel us because we are a f**king unlucky club.

If we had Semi we would be scary good this year but we move on. Cant wait.

Or put everything on Knights for spoon before likewise ...

In all seriousness, I expect a degree of ruthlessness from us this year, a pack mentality across the field. I expected something similar at the start of 2010 but it never eventuated... BA has opened a premiership window, its 2018 or 2019 IMO. Get it done merkins!!

BTW - I thought Evans was great in his first hit out for the club
I'm expecting us to be a bit better than last year but that may not translate into more wins. Although I expect it will show in our F/A. The NRL is tough, particularly if you play by the rules.

Evans also looked good to me.

beagle

Juniors
Evans and Terepo were outstanding. Bevo looks more solid.
Whats with the tiny numbers on the jerseys? Cost cutting? Well done Maxie.

This number looked alright

DWy_Pk_CMVQAENcu7.jpg

Gronk

Staff member
tempting thought
i disagree with him totally watching merkins put the ball down and step over it makes my blood boil
either have proper play the balls or take them out of the game
Yes but does a sloppy play the ball give a side a competitive advantage?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Thought it was good hit out!!

Alvaro / Mannah did great during the opening changes and while neither are flash they just get the job done.

Scott was good and doubt he is going to be droppped anytime soon.

Evans put a few doubters to bed I reckon

French looked good

Hayne was good, he will have a decent year.

Our attack looked great considering it was our first hit out.

Matagi was no where near as good as some suggest - yeah he runs hard but does not work as hard as Mannah / Alvaro in defence.

Peni had his usual game - BA has always been a fan. He will get a fair share of games this year.

Not sure but think Scott / Peni / Matagi / Evan were all on the field at the same time - interesting

Manu was playing centre in the second half I think

King has obviously won the 9 role

Jennings probably could have passed to his winger twice that may have lead to tries

Moeroa looks in good shape and bigger

I was concerned we didn't have a back up half - BA obviously knew what he was doing, Smith look good playing in the halves. Good back up.

While Semi is a big loss, our wingers will get a fair share of tries this year. They know how to finish.

Manu / Edwards had quiet games but were far from terrible

Taka / Hayne combo may take a few weeks to get some form - but think when they do they will be very dangerous.

Overall a good trial

Gronk

Staff member
Matagi was no where near as good as some suggest - yeah he runs hard but does not work as hard as Mannah / Alvaro in defence.

Matagi has soft hands but and is often used in set plays passing to sweeping backs. Not many big merkins are trusted with that role.

Latest posts